Gelure
The Candlelight Tomes

by manosg STAFF
November 27th, 2021 | 18 replies

Release Date: 10/02/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One of the strongest neoclassical dungeon synth releases of the year.

Among my favorite activities as a teenager, was treasure hunting at the record store; i.e. taking the bus, visiting various record stores, staying there for a significant amount of time, and, eventually, buying an album because of its cover. Nowadays, this has been replaced by browsing on YouTube, which, admittedly, is much cheaper and more convenient, but far less exciting. Nevertheless, said activity can lead to finding some booty every now and then, and, all things considered, The Candlelight Tomes fits the bill. In fact, if dungeon synth releases were actual records stored in a huge library, Gelure's sophomore effort would be one of those findings that contained at least some amount of magic.

Right from the bat, the album reveals its most important merit, which is putting you in a contemplative mood. I can't say if it's a matter of frequency, but The Candlelight Tomes has the same effect as those meditation videos, which makes it a perfect companion for reading or relaxing. Additionally, it would make a perfect soundtrack for a medieval RPG, as it easily transports the listener to another dimension; every track feels like visiting a different place. The mood is constantly melancholic and somber, but it never becomes gloomy or too dark. Some may feel that some variation is needed, but part of the charm on here is its consistent atmosphere.

Overall, The Candlelight Tomes is easily one of the strongest neoclassical dungeon synth releases of the year; a rare case where the album art matches the quality of the music, and a majestic offering that can make your mind wander.

1914 Where Fear and Weapons MeetHeavy Feather Mountain of Sugar
The Night Flight Orchestra Aeromantic IIBlack Label Society Doom Crew Inc.
Fragment Soul Axiom Of ChoiceBlazon Stone Damnation

November 27th 2021

Wanted to bring this one to your attention. If you're into dungeon synth even remotely, you don't want to miss this album.

arf
November 27th 2021

oh hey I'm not the only one who listened to this

Digging: Pensees Nocturnes - Douce Fange

Gnocchi
November 27th 2021

Props for throwing the word “booty” into your review. It’s a small thing but it’s made my morning brighter.

Digging: Krallice - Crystalline Exhaustion

November 28th 2021

Now that I know that, I'll make sure to use it in more reviews lol.

Gnocchi

My curiosity: peaked.

dedex

dungeon synth + booty mention = happy me

November 29th 2021

lol, I'll make sure to include booty more often in my reviews.

Hope you check and enjoy, garas.

Pikazilla

20745 Comments

Glad this was finally added to the database. My favourite dungeon synth this year.

November 29th 2021

Definitely up there for me as well.

garas
November 29th 2021

This was a fine album, I liked the first song the most - it has a kinda Hammock-ish vibe, but that could be just me.

> My favourite dungeon synth this year.

EvoHavok
November 30th 2021

Sweet read, manos. YouTube was already the main source for music in my teens, but at least I remember how my middle school years basically aligned with the platform's infancy years and quick growth to success.

Pikazilla
November 30th 2021

20745 Comments

"Mine is Oublieth's À l'Ombre du Royaume en Cendres. That album is truly magical! (I have the tape too!)"

Will check!

December 3rd 2021

Appreciate it Evo and glad you enjoyed the album!

Onyx
December 5th 2021

this was an unexpectedly pleasant discovery

December 5th 2021

Glad you enjoyed it, man.