Raphael Weinroth-Browne
Worlds Within Live

by Atari STAFF
November 25th, 2021 | 19 replies

Release Date: 07/02/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A hypnotizing reimagining that tests the boundaries of the cello through an alluring concept

Worlds Within Live is an easy and intriguing sell from the start. Described by its creator as the soundtrack to a life cycle, it’s an enthralling instrumental journey that explores nature through the harrowing depths of time. Everything has a beginning and an end – an equally terrifying and beautiful truth – which is expertly conveyed here through a balanced tug-of war of minimalistic flavor and lively soundscapes. The catch? It’s a reimagining that allows the audience to dig even deeper. Without the traditional live audience, Raphael Weinroth-Browne (Musk Ox, The Visit) had no choice but to get lost in his own world of weeping strings and magnetic ambience.

Condensing the ten movements from last year’s Worlds Within into four seamless sections, the intoxicating experience feels like one cohesive whole. The journey begins with a wave of tranquility: the opening breaths of “Unending I” recall thriving forests and the purest rivers undisturbed by man’s influence. Raph’s intricate and affecting playing does much of the heavy lifting here, the meticulous stoke of his arm conjuring up the powerful imagery on display like second nature. To say the first stretch is one hell of a scene-setter would be an understatement; the melancholic strings prove completely hypnotic from the start.

As the album progresses, it also becomes more threatening. Many of the sprawling instrumental movements on Worlds Within Live are inspired by metal. The urgent, unpredictable dancing of strings on “From Above” even draw some inspiration from Meshuggah as things frantically unfolds like an irregular heartbeat. On both the live reimaging and the initial journey, “Tumult I-III” make up for a particularly gripping set of movements. Some of Raph’s most imaginative cello work meshes with a mysterious and driving tribal beat. The album is also made up of looping sound effects and subtle electronic influences that give it a more complex and layered sound. There’s a undeniably wide range to Worlds Within Live, from the peaceful, subtle crawl of “Unending I – From Within” to the more adventurous and jarring stretches.

The best part about World Within Live is how much it challenges the listener to not only enter the realm of a mysterious and passionate world, but to analyze it as well. It’s so easy to listen to music in the background without really hearing it. As a seasoned cellist, Raph encourages us to dig deeper by taking an already enticing record and turned it upside down to uncover new perspectives and nuances. Trying to decipher the little differences kept me feeling engaged throughout. Those unfamiliar with the original 2020 version, however, will have no problem getting sucked into this raw and gripping rendition. Though largely inspired by the ancient foundation of nature, Worlds Within Live often feels celestial in scope. There’s something vast and elusive about it all - completely separated from human understanding. As you devote time to the concept, you’ll find yourself with more questions than answers. This is clearly the point, and Raph’s ability to manipulate his instrument of choice to tell a story is astounding. He leaves such a passionate imprint on everything he’s a part of, and Worlds Within Live feels like one of his most mysterious and personal efforts yet.

Tomb of Annihilation End of TimeMonument of Misanthropy Unterweger
Emily Scott Robinson American SirenMusk Ox Inheritance
Lucy Dacus Home VideoThe Raging Nathans Waste My Heart

November 25th 2021

thankful for the cello today. and all of you ofc :]

meant to post this months ago after my Musk Ox review but writer's block and life happened. hope some people here enjoy it

Digging: Mos Def - Black on Both Sides

Gnocchi
November 26th 2021

Really impressed at the level of artwork this year.

Digging: Krallice - Crystalline Exhaustion

Voivod
November 26th 2021

Great review, it reminded me that I have this bookmarked for a while now, as I fancy outfits like Amber Asylum.

Digging: Kold Front - Kold Front

Elynna
November 26th 2021

This is a gorgeous record, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Digging: Rome - Flowers From Exile

nice. will definitely check

November 26th 2021

great review as per atari

November 26th 2021

predictably, the crescendos are incredible

November 26th 2021

indeed they are! had a feeling you might be jumping on this one given how much you loved Musk Ox.. cheers!

"Really impressed at the level of artwork this year."

In a sense it sounds kind of how it looks. Jump on it :0)

@Voivod, thx - I hope you enjoy it!

@Elynna, my pleasure. nice 4

Pho3nix
November 27th 2021

A classical rev? great! :]

I'll check his debut first. Seems cool.

Evok
November 27th 2021

Just blind-ordered the CD. Can't wait to hear it!

Digging: Ferrara Ensemble and Crawford Young - Figures Of Harmony: Songs Of Codex Chantilly c1390

November 28th 2021

Right on! Hope you fellas dig it

Also, I really wasn’t anticipating this would be featured since it dropped a few months back so huge thanks to whichever Mod God made that happen! Cool to see this still get some exposure

Voivod
November 28th 2021

Just noticed that a snippet of the review was cited on the artist's bandcamp, kudos.

November 28th 2021

He also posted it on Facebook a couple times too

Lelle
November 28th 2021

this sounds kinda cool, imma check it out

edit: it's super cool, really great!

fogza
November 29th 2021

"feels like one cohesive hole."

Sorry to be annoying, this typo kinda bothers me. But nice review, will probably give this a listen.

Digging: Tusks - Dissolve

November 29th 2021

Not annoying, glad u pointed that out!

fogza

🙂

rellik009

sounds cool

Lelle
December 2nd 2021

I'm enjoying this a lot, thanks for writing the review and bringing this record to my attention!