Adele

by Brandon Taylor USER (35 Reviews)
November 22nd, 2021 | 8 replies

Release Date: 11/19/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Let it be known, let it be known that I tried"

Adele’s fourth album, released after a significant hiatus, affirms her legacy by maturing her sound into something timeless. 30 is still firmly rooted in adult contemporary, however it takes cues from Goldfrapp and Amy Winehouse rather than Sam Smith or Ed Sheeran (except on “Can You Get It”, yikes). The production is all cinematic swells and jazzy accompaniments, with personal touches like spoken-word voicemails adding to the expertly-curated feel of these arrangements. It’s her most sonically interesting album since 19, but she could definitely push herself further in the future and finally create her Back To Black.

Of course, it’s an Adele album and most people will be tuning in for the vocals. They are stunning as ever, and their beauty is only amplified by 30’s use of restraint. “Easy On Me” allows the magic of Adele’s falsetto to shine rather than having her immediately belt out the first chorus like on some previous lead singles. However, if a signature vocal showstopper is what you’re after, you’ll have to wait a whole 11 tracks. “To Be Loved” is an incredibly moving, gorgeously crescendoing ballad that thematically feels like the culmination of the album (it’s about divorce, if you haven’t heard from the press cycle), and vocally feels like the pinnacle of her career to date. If it’s any indication of things to come, I’m a lot more excited for Adele’s 30’s than her 20’s.

ABBA VoyageDanny L Harle Harlecore
Pale Waves Who Am I?The Weather Station Ignorance
Rhye HomeZayn Nobody Is Listening
3.3
Brendan Schroer CONTRIBUTOR (4)
Welcome back, Adele; it’s nice to hear your voice again....

Robert Garland STAFF (3.7)
30. So much more than 25....

ghostalgeist (4)
I created this storm, it's only fair I have to sit in its rain....

brandontaylor
November 22nd 2021

here come the Adele reviews!

this might be too short to qualify as a proper review, but I don't have it in me to write super long-form stuff at the moment. its nice to see people are enjoying this record though.

Gnocchi
November 22nd 2021

Oh shit it's an Adele takeover.

Don't mind the length. I find it hard to fit so much into such a little space (get your mind out of the gutter folks) and you really need to make sure you do.

--create her Back To Black.--

AC/DC ref? Kind of doesn't suit in this short format. Might just be personal preference though.

Digging: Obscura - A Valediction

Koris

^ Pretty sure he's referring to the Amy Winehouse album :]

Gnocchi
November 22nd 2021

I was making a joke. No tone through words on a screen I guess.

Koris

Ah, gotcha

Tbf, I always get those titles mixed up

brandontaylor
November 22nd 2021

tbf if Adele makes an album like Back In Black that will be quite impressive as well

Cimnele