Cenotaph (MX)
Riding Our Black Oceans

by ValenDreth USER (42 Reviews)
November 11th, 2021 | 9 replies

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

An epic melodic tour de force of power. While the first Cenotaph album certainly crushed hard and was a tour de force in its own right, Cenotaph's second album Riding Our Black Oceans is a whole different type of onslaught. There are many types of onslaughts, and some can be more melodic. This also has the doomy vibes of the first one but with more finesse and sensitivity. The vocals here provide a tour de force of emotion, rare for death metal. While the debut was impersonal yet powerful, this one speaks to your soul while remaining still an onslaught of power.

This is a worth tour de force of powerful riffs and emotion for fans of early At The Gates before they became bitches, and other melo-doom-blackened-tech bizarro world music that the true freaks of the headbanger world can appreciate while their colleagues slam their heads into the wall to the latest Cannibal Corpse rehash. No disrespect to that amazing band, but this is an album that transports me to its album cover. I am sailing on an ocean of doom, but my boat loses control and we are now speeding like a freight train on meth. Blaine the Monorail just smoked meth and he is listening to Cenotaph's Riding Our Black Oceans as he goes crazy.