Blackwater Holylight

4.2

by Dewinged STAFF
November 4th, 2021 | 29 replies

Release Date: 10/22/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Would you believe me if I'd speak to you about "dream doom"?

Because that's exactly what I'm gonna do here. Portland's sisterhood of dream doom (trademark pending approval), Blackwater Holylight, are back with new material, the aftermath of the last two years' bitterness and lack of hope in a future that used to look, honestly, rather ugly, as days went by like an endless deja vu of apathy and emptiness. Such was the mood that set the course for this third record, and somehow, I wouldn’t be lying if I said it has favoured their most refined stuff up to date. The band had always made an art out of creating hazy soundscapes that shrouded their corpulent brand of fuzzy vintage doom, but they have never done so with as much emotional weight as in this last album. For starters, "Sunny" Faris' vocal melodies have way more staying power here than in any of the last two albums, which married with the sullen heaviness of old, they knock on several distinct doors across the seven tracks included in Silence/Motion hopping from one genre to another like a happy giant toad high on its own slime. The result is one of the most interesting works of the band without a doubt, ranging from the dream pop feel of "Falling Faster" and “Around You”, to the crushingly emotional sludge of "Delusional", which introduces a guest in none other than Thou's Bryan Funck, who lends his evil shrieks to the album's fantastic opener. You'll find also sprinkles of folk in the title track or even kraut rock outings on the mesmerizing highlight "Who the Hell". It's also worth mentioning how they have incorporated subtle black metal influences in the band’s sound in tracks like “MDIII” or in the roaring closer "Every Corner", which features Mizmor's A.L.N., who aside from producing the album, also contributes with his abyssal growls.

Silence/Motion does a wonderful job in showing Blackwater Holylight reaching deeper depths in their craft while maintaining the radiant inherent darkness of their sound: an skeletal conjunction of fuzzy and muffled guitars, hypnotizing synths and blissful singing that reminisce of a softer, slightly more graceful version of bands like True Widow or Subrosa, presented here through a kaleidoscopic lens of progressive rock, dream pop, slowcore and doom shenanigans that is as enticing as it sounds. Silence/Motion is been released by Californian label RidingEasy and it’s eternally available in your platform/format of choice. Spice sold separately.

Converge Bloodmoon: IEmma Ruth Rundle Engine of Hell
Kaelan Mikla Undir Köldum NorðurljósumKatatonia Mnemosynean
Full of Hell Garden of Burning ApparitionsSuccumb XXI
recommended by reviewer
Kabbalah The Omen

November 4th 2021

Very late with this one but life, busy, etc. Spent a lot of time with this album these past 2 weeks, really good stuff.

Here's the video for "Around You": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UKcoryDMbU&ab_channel=RidingEasyRecords

And Bandcamp for the brave but lazy: https://blackwaterholylight.bandcamp.com/album/silence-motion

Digging: Ethereal Shroud - Trisagion

Beardog
November 4th 2021

I don't believe you but I do wanna check this out

November 4th 2021

Yeah I wouldn't either. What a foolish concept.

Slex

This sounds awesome damn

Digging: The World Is a Beautiful Place... - Harmlessness

Sunnyvale
November 4th 2021

This is pretty nifty stuff, stuck right between a 3.5 and a 4 for me. Glad to see it get reviewed!

Taxt
November 4th 2021

I'm sold, gonna spin this later

November 4th 2021

I don't expect more than a page of comments for this one but get on it people, it's a nice jam.

Senetrix666
November 4th 2021

haven't jammed yet but i noticed their merch was added to Holy Mountain Printing's website. pretty sick tees

dedex
November 5th 2021

"dream doom"? sounds very Dewi!

Digging: Ethereal Shroud - Trisagion

u know it!

JesperL
November 5th 2021

great review, v intrigued so will check!

vertexarray
November 5th 2021

it is a corker. Great rec.

November 5th 2021

you have piqued my interest

November 5th 2021

"dream doom" i love interesting genre names and combinations but imo after jamming this is an awfully fancy way of saying psych rock lol

not mad about it tho i wouldnt have checked without that tag in the summary and i did enjoy it, helped me get some work done in the morning

Well, it worked!

But yeah I say that on the rev, they do play with different genres, bit of dream pop, bit of psyche rock, bit of doom, sludge, etc.

Check their previous two albums too, they are also pretty good.

November 6th 2021

Will do man! I’m on a psych-y doom-y kick lately, can’t seem to get enough so I’m sure they’ll go down smoothly

JesperL
November 6th 2021

this was neat but mildly frustrating at times bc it feels like they could've gone in a few more interesting directions here and there

November 7th 2021

One of the best live shows I’ve seen.

Senetrix666
November 8th 2021

review and seeing their merch hyped me up but man this is kinda boring ngl

November 8th 2021

"One of the best live shows I’ve seen." You lucky ballstard.

@Sen damn ;(