Frost-Rimed Iron
The Fire of Conquest

by manosg STAFF
September 11th, 2021 | 18 replies

Release Date: 08/27/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A fine example of well-executed medieval dungeon synth.

In dungeon synth, the line between "genuine" and "amateurish" is extremely thin. Nevertheless, when it clicks, the outcome can be truly special, and The Fire of Conquest is a fine example of well-executed DS. To begin with, the cover art suggests a barbaric/epic approach which is only 50% correct, as the atmosphere here is definitely epic but the songwriting is diverse and, even, refined. Take, for example, the relaxing "When the War-Glaive Wanes", which brings to mind Sequestered Keep with its gentle medieval flavor. This medieval flavor is part of every track, however, the songwriting is diverse and engaging enough to keep the listener's attention almost undiminished throughout its 34 minutes, except for "Blood Oath". The 16-minute long album closer, with its driving rhythm, creates a sincere war-like feeling, but at the same time doesn't justify its length as it doesn't feature enough twists and turns. Other than that minor drawback, The Fire of Conquest can be a delight for anyone who appreciates medieval DS or simply epic orchestral music. The dreamy atmosphere brings to mind ships sailing on the sea preparing for battle, an image which is augmented with the use of sea and storm sound effects on "Dark Shores of Fury". In fact, the first four tracks create an array of feelings, from imposing ("The Seething Fjord of Swords") to nostalgia. However, where this compilation excels beyond doubt, is in exuding a convincing epic atmosphere that doesn't sound at all amateurish or banal, a feat that makes it a perfect offering for escaping reality, even just for a while.

Fragment Soul Axiom Of ChoiceBlazon Stone Damnation
Blaze Bayley War Within MeOld Wizard Old Wizard II
Kanonenfieber MenschenmühleCastle Zagyx Doors to the Battlefields of Ertbe

September 11th 2021

Just an extended soundoff for all you dungeon synth-heads.

Digging: Trobar De Morte - Nocturnal Dance of the Dragonfly

Gnocchi
September 11th 2021

Nice soundoff. Jks. I haven't had a lot of time for the dungeon this year. The hills haven't faired much better.

September 11th 2021

lol thanks dude. It's sloppy and choppy, but hopefully someone will check this one and enjoy it as much as I did.

garas
September 12th 2021

> but hopefully someone will check this

I have been summoned.

Digging: Eos (CAN) - Les corps s'entrechoquent

September 13th 2021

Awesome, hope you enjoy man.

Sunnyvale
September 13th 2021

Looks interesting, nice little review manosg!

bludngorevidal
September 13th 2021

Dungeon Synth that doesn't have Grime Stone's stamp of approval?! I'm intrigued at the sheer audacity, if nothing else.

I’m about this.

Pho3nix
September 13th 2021

Nice! need to czech this

September 13th 2021

Glad to see this one getting some traction. Hope you guys enjoy it.

TheNotrap
September 13th 2021

These "extended soundoffs" are nice, I might start doing the same soon. Among other things, they generate threads.

Digging: Cradle of Filth - Existence Is Futile

September 13th 2021

Indeed. I grew up reading really short reviews in magazines, and never complained about the length or the degree of analysis. Also, I have very limited time lately and this style of review suits me as a reader too.

wayfaringstranger
September 15th 2021

A nice little slab of DS for sure, thanks for the recommendation. You're quite correct in stating that actually making the music feel genuine and not over-the-top or cheesy can be a struggle for some DS, but this album definitely seems to get it right.

Dewinged
September 15th 2021

Now that's a proper metal band name. Always a pleasure to read you manosg!

Digging: Kaelan Mikla - Undir Kldum Norurljsum

September 15th 2021

haha agreed Dewi and appreciate it.

Really glad you enjoyed this one, wayfaringstranger.

Pikazilla
September 16th 2021

19127 Comments

Cool stuff

September 16th 2021

For sure. Good replay value as well.

Sunnyvale
September 27th 2021

Just got done with my first listen, the closer definitely drags a bit but this pretty awesome, perhaps my favorite dungeon synth release this year.