Lingua Ignota

by Jesper L. STAFF
August 6th, 2021 | 319 replies

Release Date: 08/06/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: annihilating comfort

SINNER GET READY leaves me feeling cold. The record is freezing, terrifying, and entirely captivating, leaving its listeners in a similarly distressed state. This is a feat that should not be undervalued: few “scary” albums actually scare; few “fun” albums actually leave one with the sensation of having had fun. Lingua Ignota’s third full length is deeply unpredictable, nestling itself in the deepest corners of one’s mind to calmly annihilate whatever comfort may reside there.

As intent on marrying heaven and hell in the most bloodcurdling of ways as 2019’s CALIGULA, SINNER GET READY treads slightly calmer waters. Waters coloured by the blood of all that once lived there, mind you, but displaying more subtle and sophisticated motions nonetheless. Opening cut ‘THE ORDER OF SPIRITUAL VIRGINS’ basks in unnerving choirs underscored by gentle piano during its first stretch, before bursts of noise fade in and out of focus, eclipsing the track until its few bones melt into an eerie voice recording simultaneously accentuating the record’s loneliness as well as, contradictorily, giving this loneliness and silence itself a voice. As such explosions of sound do persist on the album, Lingua Ignota does not exactly show restraint; it’s clear that mastermind Kristin Hayter needn’t do so as she explores her hollow world more delicately, showing relative grace while never succumbing to the anticipated. It can be felt in every element: whether it’s ‘I WHO BEND THE TALL GRASSES’ molding fearful cries into angelic vocalisations or ‘MAN IS LIKE A SPRING FLOWER’s extraordinarily intimidating banjo strums, no stone in the barren landscape is left unturned and uncrushed.

Amidst the desolation, ‘PERPETUAL FLAME OF CENTRALIA’ presents a moment of unadulterated peace. The calm piano piece may open on the lyrics “I am covered with the blood of Jesus”, yet it never trails from its sonic serenity. In the context of the record, the song can be seen as a breather in its intensity, while simultaneously accentuating and amplifying the potency of all that surrounds. The distinct appears more transparent; the destructive all the more dangerous. SINNER GET READY’s core message can be found in ‘REPENT NOW CONFESS NOW’ as Lingua Ignota and an audibly discomforted choir exclaim that “this body is not your home”. A simplistic reminder encompassing spiritual undertones, its delivery connotes a perpetual, inescapable distress. This very sense of distress runs in the record’s blood, staining all it touches and leaving deceptively inconsequential blemishes.

While the overall experience is entirely captivating, the album is a deeply uncomfortable listening experience and as a direct result occasionally hard to digest. Held together by its paralysing atmosphere, Lingua Ignota’s ever-improving vocal capabilities and sparsely overwhelming instrumentation, SINNER GET READY will leave you freezing, yet anything but cold.

Ethel Cain Preacher's DaughterSimple Plan Harder Than It Looks
Silverstein Misery Made Medaine Quantum Jumping
Prince Daddy and The Hyena Prince Daddy And The HyenaHatchie Giving the World Away

yeehaw

Digging: Dream Dolphin - Dolphins Talk to You

SteakByrnes
August 6th 2021

I've been called a sinnerrrrr

Digging: Purity Filter - Immortal Spirit

Her best so far

Digging: Mighty Sparrow - Hot and Sweet

JayEnder
August 6th 2021

Really wanted to like her music, but after this I just don't have the desire to listen to her ever again.

Digging: Static Dress - Rouge Carpet Disaster

JustJoe.
August 6th 2021

i wonder if this will be a fun thread

August 6th 2021

It’s quite a mild album so doubt it

JustJoe.
August 6th 2021

oh well that’s probably for the best

"Her best so far"

lol

but yes agreed yes

Relinquished
August 6th 2021

doof learned his lesson good to see

What lesson?

You probably don’t want to read my sound off on my AOTY account maybe

August 6th 2021

I couldn’t think of anything to say about the gimp beekeeper album cover, artwork sort of toned down this time just like the music

A good thing, less cringe all round

I was going to 2.5 this one but stupidly I listened to it a second time later in the day and it was really really boring minus a few bits and pieces.

But we’ll finish on a positive. This album is a lot less cringe and that’s a mercy.

Dedes

Good review dawg
Might check this weekend. I gave Lingua a listen a few years back with All Bitches Die but never properly dug through her music. This sounds like it'll be dope.

August 7th 2021

She’s been going downhill.

Dedes
August 7th 2021

I'm an easy man to please

FellHanded

This is intense

Digging: Ethel Cain - Preacher's Daughter

LeddSledd

Guess I'll start here with Lingua

Purpl3Spartan
August 7th 2021

“SINNER GET READY leaves me feeling cold”

Nope nope nope no thanks

Already have a cold right now 👍

Will wait till it’s gone

August 7th 2021

thx dedes, hope you enjoy!

and get well soon purp, stay warm

parksungjoon
August 7th 2021

can i be the first to say ligma in this thread

GhandhiLion
August 7th 2021

Please no bad misogynistic takes this time shoo

Digging: Myra Melford Extended Ensemble - Even the Sounds Shine