Gonemage

by MiloRuggles STAFF
May 21st, 2021 | 21 replies

Release Date: 05/07/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Castlevanian Hunger

Gonemage is a spiritual offspring of Cara Neir's latest video game inspired outing; a solo project of Galimgim, who takes the reins in every duty here except for playing the drums. Get this, though: he programs them. Get it? The metatextual thematic depth on display here is on par with CD Projekt Red's masterstroke of releasing an unfinished version of Cyberpunk 2077, cleverly communicating that we were living the real Cyberpunk all along, which we'll all realise once we shut the game down and venture outside to yell in Poland's general direction.

Shitty jokes aside, Gonemage's genre synthesis is one that's almost destined to go wrong. At a glance, video game soundtracks and metal have a rockier past than From Software and intuitive NPC questlines, Cliff Bleszinski and good ideas, or Chris Redfield and that boulder in Resident Evil 5. Even shittier jokes aside, if one perseveres, it's possible to make just about any idea work. Open world games and fetch quests are tedium manifest to my tastes, and yet Death Stranding is one of the better AAA games I've played [once] in a long, long while. Similarly, Gonemage's approach to mixing the Fedora Atheism of video game soundtracks with the Misanthropic Atheism of black metal is surprisingly effective.

Gonemage's gimmickry on Mystical Extraction is at its best when Galimgim integrates and weaves the video game influences into the music, creating something analogous to Murmuüre's synthesis of black metal, Morricone, and, uh, other stuff, into one sprawling tapestry that detached Murmuüre from human performance and propelled it into a realm of obscure abstractions and surreal sonic mania. Mystical Extraction has this same potential coursing through its veins in a way that Cara Neir's Phase Out doesn't, and the moments that effectively recontextualise the sounds plundered transform simple genre breeding into a swirling, bit-crushed milieu. At these moments, Gonemage are onto something special.

Balance in all things, though. Every great game has a shitty sewer level. When the black metal stylings and otaku symphonies refuse to collide and instead run parallel to each other – trems and cute 8-bit excursions sharing everything but timbre; or traditional drum sounds being swapped out for comical, distorted vidya drumkits – we wind up with something that sounds more like mash-up than composition, and the wheels start to wobble.

Mystical Extraction's potential mitigates its wobbliness, though. It's easy to recognise the fertile ground Gonemage stands upon, Blue Jazz and Star Fruit germinating in confident silence beneath the freshly tilled earth. If the weather holds, and we come together and support Galimgim [is that a real name?], maybe he'll yield a bumper crop someday. With that in mind, would you kindly stay a while and listen?

J. Cole The Off-SeasonSpectral Lore Ετερόφωτος
Genesis Owusu Smiling with No Teethslowthai TYRON
Shlimp Warc Thgie DrsowAesop Rock Spirit World Field Guide

May 21st 2021

I'm really out here making myself cringe with this review, but let's just lean into it, huh?

DivergentThinking
May 21st 2021

Good review! Gotta say, combining black metal and video game influences definitely sounds intriguing

Sunnyvale
May 21st 2021

Album rules, glad to see a review for it!

May 21st 2021

Cheers team. Yeah, if the concept even vaguely appeals to you give it a go, divergent, it's heaps of fun

garas
May 21st 2021

Sounds like this would interest me. Will check.

Digging: Nordgeist - Frostwinter

XingKing

I love the conceptual stuff between Phase Out and this

Donchivo
May 21st 2021

Best review summary in a while!!

Digging: Yon - order of violence

May 21st 2021

Haha cheers Don, wrote itself really.

I haven't actually delved into lyrics at all, xing, is it worthwhile?

Flugmorph

this is 100% inspired by the mtg card surgical extraction

Evreaia
May 21st 2021

halfway into the first song

this is surprisingly good for being a videogame bm album.

someone
May 21st 2021

when you combine neckbeard bm fans and neckbeard video game fans

TheSpirit
May 21st 2021

garry is neither of those really

entertaining review! i think the levity really works for an album like this.

i enjoy this record a great deal and more than phase out (though that is still very good)

the last season of castlevania and this coming out around the same time definitely heightened my liking of both!

Digging: Dodsrit - Mortal Coil

Floofus
May 21st 2021

"Chris Redfield and that boulder in Resident Evil 5"

That's cannon now thanks to RE8, I'll have you know

XingKing

@MiloRuggles

The lyrics to Phase Out are all really cheesy tongue in cheek dialogue that's written like two guys who literally got sucked into a video game and have no idea what is happening. The lyrics on that record aren't particularly well written but each song is a different level of the video game to the final boss and it's a fun time. Gonemage, as far as I can tell, is about a clone of Garry being created in the video game realm and wandering a strange land meeting characters while trying to learn his purpose. The final track seems to end with him realizing his power as the curator of this realm as he takes flight and becomes a god. I'm thinking it'll be a well intentioned creator turned evil storyline but we shall see!

parksungjoon
May 21st 2021

wow epic just like sword art online and ready player one!!!

Illoomorpheme
May 22nd 2021

Gonemage sounds like if Old Nick took themselves a little too seriously. Not too bad, but I'd still prefer latter.

Digging: Old Nick - Curse Of The Lock Master/Witch Of The Northern Vil

Nocte
May 22nd 2021

would i dig this mr ruggles

Digging: Diskord - Degenerations