Tetrarch

poor

by Teal USER (8 Reviews)
April 30th, 2021 | 12 replies

Release Date: 04/30/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Unstable, just like everyone else.

It’s been theorized that style trends recycle every twenty to twenty-five years. Like fashion, music trends appear to rotate similarly because nu-metal has retuned with a vengeance some twenty years since the melding of hip hop and metal elements first hit airwaves. Some recent releases, such as Tallah’s theatrical Matriphagy, My Ticket Home’s moody Unreal, or Vein’s cerebral Errorzone have utilized the genre to accentuate their music and freshen the style with a more modern spin. Regrettably, other bands have hopped on the nu-metal revival wave intent on plagiarizing the style for quick gain without adding anything of value to the genre. Enter Tetrarch and their painfully generic sophomore album, Unstable.

Nearly every song on offer has the typical genre tropes of eerie leads over down-tuned power chords, infuriated screamed vocals on verses and bridges, tortured singing a-la the late Chester Bennington of Linkin Park on choruses, and utterly cliché lyrics revolving around self-loathing, being oppressed, or being misunderstood. One glance at the track titles: “I’m Not Right”, “You Never Listen”, “Sick of You”, and “Stitch Me Up” is enough to process what listeners are in store for – largely derivative, formulaic songwriting soaked in melodramatic, yet unconvincing whining. For example, leadoff song "I'm Not Right" opens with the lyrics, "Looking in the mirror and I hate myself" and the words just come across as cringeworthy and hollow. At least when Corey Taylor was shredding his throat in “Skin Ticket” or Jonathan Davis was having a mental breakdown on “Daddy” those performances felt uncomfortably genuine. Here, any emotion shown on Unstable comes across as calculated and superficial with the motivation being because that’s just what bands do playing this style of music.

Despite a vast majority of rehashed, unoriginal songs, Unstable avoids being considered a total failure. “Negative Noise”, “Addicted”, and “Take a Look Inside” hint to the potential Tetrarch have to craft a promising future for themselves. “Negative Noise” raises the aggression to a higher level, abandoning those repetitious eerie guitar leads after the first fifteen seconds for raging riffs and driving double bass, doing their darndest to worship Iowa-era Slipknot and Self-Destructive Pattern-era Spineshank. Bouncy vocal rhythms on the verses of “Addicted” call back to David Draiman’s staccato delivery on the verses of hit single, “Prayer” off Disturbed’s Believe and pave the foundation for “Addicted” to be deemed the catchiest and most successful song penned for mainstream radio on the entire album. Finally, “Take a Look Inside” opens sounding nearly like Gojira with pick scrapes, blistering double bass and bursts of chugging. Undoubtedly the heaviest song on the album, “Take a Look Inside” uses a soaring, melodic chorus to alternate with pummeling verses before the entire song plunges into an unexpected and impressive extended breakdown before bowing out. Both “Negative Noise” and “Take a Look Inside” hint at how exciting the band could be If they embraced an outright heavier approach instead of wearing that damned Sirius FM Octane leash which limits nearly the entire album.

As nu-metal is poised to saturate mainstream radio again, it’s difficult to find anything of value on Unstable that Tetrarch can bring to the airwaves. Established genre elders such as Korn, Slipknot, and Disturbed have shown no interest in slowing down and younger, more promising outfits such as Tallah, My Ticket Home, and Vein have all brought a fresh perspective to the style instead of outright plagiarizing. At best, Tetrarch have shown a few glimpses of their potential which is better suited on the heavier end of the genre. At worst, Tetrarch will suffer an early blow to their career as Unstable is a mess of unoriginal songwriting and unconvincing histrionics more concerned with scoring radio play than building authenticity with listeners.

Holding Absence The Greatest Mistake Of My LifeDevil Sold His Soul Loss
Architects For Those That Wish to ExistRed (USA) Of Beauty and Rage
Three Days Grace HumanDream the Electric Sleep Beneath The Dark Wide Sky
2.4

April 30th 2021

Good review! I listened to like one song and was bored.

Also, small typo on "every" in the first line, but I agree with the points based on what I've heard.

'pos brother

Digging: Hail the Sun - New Age Filth

April 30th 2021

Purple, thank you for the kind words and that catch! I appreciate it. I can't believe I missed that.

April 30th 2021

No prob fam, great review.

tyman128
May 1st 2021

beat me to it, was gonna absolutely rip this thing to shreds but good review!

this thing is absolutely atrocious and I'll probably never go through this again

Digging: Manchester Orchestra - The Million Masks of God

May 1st 2021

I listened to one song and was disappointed. I was intrigued with the nu metal descripition because it made me think of bands like sleep waker and live conform die, which i dig

May 1st 2021

Thanks, tyman. I definitely wanted to shred it harder, but I wanted to keep it somewhat classy. I think their hearts are in the right place, but I’m sure they have people convincing them to take the radio route which is leading to these formulaic, cookie-cutter songs. I think they’ll be more successful in the long run if they go heavier and more unconventional without completely throwing out the melody. We’ll see, I guess.

naughtcturnal
May 3rd 2021

didnt onision put this album out years ago

Digging: Kauan - Ice Fleet

FabiusPictor202
May 3rd 2021

contender for softest album art of all time

May 3rd 2021

Is that what the singer of Papa Roach looked like as a kid?

Digging: Anthony1 / Exodia / Sienna Sleep - Ateriavia

dndukes
May 4th 2021

This one here, it seems like people either love it or hate it. I did not enjoy it at all. I hope the band does better on their next release. They have potential.

May 4th 2021

They have potential [2]

May 5th 2021

Yeah, the album art is very dorky - and yes, they have potential.