Luther Vandross
Any Love

by Drifter USER (9 Reviews)
April 21st, 2021 | 16 replies

Release Date: 1988 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Luther is being Luther for the sixth time, and it's just as good as it ever was.

When discussing Luther Vandross’ 80’s material, you’ll quickly start to sound redundant. Each album has more or less the same mix of upbeat barbecue jams and sultry wedding anthems but with some slight instrumental differences per record. Never Too Much and Forever, For Always, For Love both have a very warm and comfortable quality with an emphasis on lush string and piano arrangements while Busy Body and The Night I Fell In Love have a more nighttime, moody tone with a more synth oriented and bass guitar-driven sound. Any Love picks up where Give Me The Reason left off with a mix of the two themes but with a more polished sound than its predecessor. It’s not necessarily new ground for Luther but that doesn’t matter because of one very important element I’ve so far left out.

That voice.

Luther’s voice is just a big bear hug to the soul. “The Velvet Voice” couldn’t be a more appropriate nickname for the man. It’s very soft, soothing. Whether it be the bright and bubbly “Come Back,” the classy and uplifting “Any Love,” or the sweet and subdued “Love Won’t Let Me Wait,” his beautiful voice is always reigning supreme in what you take away from it. It has such a wonderful quality to it that it’s hard to comment on it in any negative way. The main fault with it is it’s fairly one-note. It’s easily recognizable but it’s always the same, even on these different styles of songs.

Smooth Soul was an oversaturated genre in the 80’s. Many singers and groups had albums with a big hit or two and a slew of unimaginative and unremarkable deep cuts. Luther never had this issue, for even if something wasn’t up to the standard of the mega hits like “Never Too Much” or “A House Is Not A Home,” it never fell too short enough to be noticed as so. Even being on his sixth album, Luther Vandross does the same as before just as strongly. Any Love works as a great summation of his work in the 80’s and should not be left out in discussions on his finest work.

Mr. Criminal Stay On The StreetsFull Blooded Memorial Day
Big Moe City of SyrupBig Syke Be Yo' Self
Daz Dillinger Retaliation, Revenge and Get BackNosferatu D2 Older, Wiser, Sadder

April 21st 2021

Short one but I'm trying to get back into the swing of reviewing again. Thanks much to normaloctagon for some corrections before posting. Feedback is very much appreciated.

Stream the album on spotify here: https://open.spotify.com/album/1JJ0VNQJJU9AXQApfGC1dC?si=tor5Avz-TxyuFuNOXaa5bQ
Or the album playlist on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kB6ykFAr6pOxg9JE92DIr9wqRUaD-xvVs

Highlights include:
Any Love - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aFaU1G3J5s&list=OLAK5uy_kB6ykFAr6pOxg9JE92DIr9wqRUaD-xvVs&index=5
For You To Love - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJT7f5WlNMc&list=OLAK5uy_kB6ykFAr6pOxg9JE92DIr9wqRUaD-xvVs&index=8
Come Back - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFpAzHFyOIc&list=OLAK5uy_kB6ykFAr6pOxg9JE92DIr9wqRUaD-xvVs&index=4

parksungjoon

bro

Digging: Make a Change...Kill Yourself - II

April 21st 2021

wow, awesome review dude. smooth read and hard pos

yes bro?

thanks norm. Luther needs more love here.

April 21st 2021

that opener goes so hard honestly. perfect mix of upbeat and sentimental with killer guitar/synth work

Keyblade

nicee. crazy that even Never Too Much doesn't have a review

April 21st 2021

I knowww someone's gonna have to rectify that

looking at you norm ; )

Get Low
April 21st 2021

I dig your writing style, pos

Just a heads up, you messed up your html on italicizing "Busy Body" in the first paragraph.

oops thx. fixed

April 21st 2021

Hello, yes, I am here for reminders to listen to more Luther

April 21st 2021

damn lol i was about to ping you ec

synchronicity

April 21st 2021

Well, you kinda did when you posted in your list, ha

You and me, we be like, you know?

yeah we be like

April 21st 2021

I knew you would know. I knew it!

That's why we be like