Bongzilla
Weedsconsin

by Raul Stanciu STAFF
April 21st, 2021 | 35 replies

Release Date: 04/20/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The veterans show the younger generation how it's done.

Sixteen years have passed since Bongzilla last graced us with a studio album. The pioneering weedcentric stoner/sludge metal act entered a hiatus right before the style they’ve been developing became more popular than ever. Thankfully, the group reconvened in 2015, touring a number of times around the world. Six years later, the trio’s latest epic, Weedsconsin finally saw the light of day. As expected, we receive a serious dose of raw, murky riffs, alongside hellish, throat ripping growls.

Bongzilla always crafted interesting grooves and less conventional rhythm breaks for the genre they play. For example, ‘Free the Weed’, ‘Sundae Driver’ and ‘Earth Bong/Smoked/Mags Bags’ feature several tempo shifts, as well as complex drum patterns and fills. Amid the crushing riffs, the band toys with a number of build-ups and changes to melodic guitar leads. These tweaks, together with the cool, pile driving moments form some of their tightest tunes so far. Meanwhile, for a more classic approach, ‘Space Rock’ uses that drugged out repetition, where the main riff is being pounded in your head for minutes on end. The switch to the intense verses is a welcomed addition to the song, as they occasionally snap you out of that mesmerizing atmosphere. Moreover, ‘Gummies’ is one of the hardest hitting rockers in the band’s catalog. While listening to it, I just want it to go heavier and heavier, until tearing the PA. I am happy to see the band just as engaged, powerful and fun as they were in the early to mid ‘00s. As a trio, they sound even tighter than before. Other than this, just listen to the LP, it’s attentively crafted and fun.

Motorpsycho Kingdom of OblivionKauan Ice Fleet
Chevelle NIRATIASMogwai As the Love Continues
Front Line Assembly Mechanical SoulViagra Boys Welfare Jazz

April 21st 2021

A day late to the celebration. Just wanted to write something about it so it doesn't go unnoticed here. Great, fun record as expected from them.

Stream here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr2TPqH19yw&list=OLAK5uy_l37gYxBkyHcFGzBWwoljl63P9ZjsEFRU8

Digging: Wheel (FIN) - Resident Human

Pho3nix
April 21st 2021

Thanks for the rev! I've never been a huge fan of this band but I'll have to czech because of that album cover :]

bigguytoo9

Great album for sure.

TheSonomaDude
April 21st 2021

I remember someone in high school who loved this band. He was mostly into indie and/or emo music but this was one of the few metal bands I ever remember him admiring. I didnt realize it had been 16 years since their last LP

Shattered_Future
April 21st 2021

I wanted to like this record, but the production honestly just saps any enjoyment. Amerijuanican sounded great without sacrificing any of the heaviness, I don't understand why they made the drums so small sounding...

April 21st 2021

Yeah, I agree the production could have been a tad beefier.

Cormano
April 21st 2021

that's some really tight ass cover
I wish I could still enjoy weed without getting heavy paranoia

Nocte
April 22nd 2021

That artwork is kind of sexy in an eat me kind of way.

Digging: ACAUSAL INTRUSION - Nulitas

RogueNine
April 23rd 2021

I should spin this although Sundae Driver didn't do much for me.

JayEnder
April 23rd 2021

That album title haha yesss. Wisco represent!

Storm In A Teacup
April 23rd 2021

I won’t listen to this possibly garbage music but I’ll take a hit!

combustion07
April 23rd 2021

I'm pumped these guys finally dropped another album. Always been one of my favorites since I discovered Amerijuanican when getting into heavier music. Excited to jam this! Gonna pair it with some Weedeater and keep my fingers crossed that they do a joint tour soon and hit up kc!

April 23rd 2021

A tour with Weedeater would be great. Weedeater trying harder to release a new album would also be neat.

combustion07
April 23rd 2021

Agreed on that. Goliathan still gets frequent rotation and might be my favorite album of theirs. Didn't realize it's been 6 years since it dropped. Got to see them on that tour and they always put on the best shows. I've seen Bongzilla also but them together would be a top tier event

DDDeftoneDDD

lol maybe I check these

Digging: Jeff Rosenstock - SKA DREAM

farmerobama
April 23rd 2021

Good tunes, but rather weak production. These could all hit much harder.

Thanks Raul for always keeping up with recent stoner releases on sputnik!

Digging: Gojira - Fortitude

dedex

weed lmao

YoYoMancuso

fantastic album title

Pho3nix
April 23rd 2021

Weedeater is way different from this though, much better energy.

Yea this has 'Nattens madrigal'-tier production unfortunately

icatchthirtythree
April 23rd 2021

This is tight but yeah the drums have no oomph, especially the snare lmao.

"Yea this has 'Nattens madrigal'-tier production unfortunately"

Sort of except with the reverse effect, Nattens is near GOAT black metal and the production helps it