PONY
TV Baby

by Jesper L. CONTRIBUTOR (65 Reviews)
April 11th, 2021 | 11 replies

Release Date: 04/09/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Zero trick PONY

PONY’s visual aesthetics are sick. From TV Baby’s cutesy pastel album art (disclaimer: I’m assuming that’s pastel, I’m colourblind as hell) to the gothic funeral vibes of the band’s Spotify banner to truly terrible song titles such as ‘WebMD’, ‘Furniture’ and ‘Couch’, yeah, I have no idea what’s going on. But it’s pretty damn appealing.

Sadly, the music doesn’t quite match this level of intrigue. For the most part, the Canadians’ first full length boasts a sparkly indie pop sound that leans a little too heavily on non-existent hooks. Every song is short, snappy, and entirely pleasant to listen to, but fails to leave any kind of lasting impression. Fuzzed out guitars form the backbone of TV Baby, carrying the record from unremarkable moment to unremarkable moment, with Sam Bielanski’s vocals gelling a little too well with the rhythm section. Much like the rest of the band’s respective instruments, her voice is a perfect fit for the grungily sleek sound, yet frequently ends up blending in when it should pop out. One exception comes in the form of the wonderful ‘My Room’, where a euphoric chorus finds PONY letting loose to great results.

However, this highlight barely lasts two minutes, exposing the issue of TV Baby’s rather short runtime. Songs never get the chance to go anywhere interesting or unexpected, instead repeating nearly indistinguishable choruses once again or smoothly gliding into the next slice of brief power pop comfort food. Ultimately, PONY showcase a lot of potential as all the right ingredients are present, but are held back by a palpable lack of confidence which prevents their first record from doing anything genuinely exciting.

Leon Vynehall Rare, ForeverBig Brave Vital
London Grammar Californian Soilhalf/cut Salt an Atlas
Citizen Life In Your Glass WorldSullii Me and My Absent Mind Again
3.2
good

April 11th 2021

been p sick (feel sorry 4 me!1) so here's a short one for an album i really wanted to love but ended up feeling disappointed by :[

check 'my room' tho, srsly love that song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKh5uoi6CPg and then jam a charly bliss or cherry glazerr record or smth

Digging: Porter Robinson - Nurture

Nocte
April 11th 2021

Jesp, seriously nice shortie.

Digging: ACAUSAL INTRUSION - Nulitas

April 14th 2021

I disagree. Album is a solid 3.5 for me. I dig the mood of it

Ectier
April 14th 2021

Oh damn nocte congrats on getting staff. I may check this record lster as really like the album cover for some reason, it looks wholesome and cozy

Digging: Mother (BE) - I

cordwainerbird
April 15th 2021

awesome review. helps me remember a review doesnt have to be long to be great

Digging: Sparks - Kimono My House

April 15th 2021

thanks so much!!

n colourblind gang let's go lol