Dry Cleaning
New Long Leg

by User Review By USER (59 Reviews)
April 7th, 2021 | 69 replies

Release Date: 04/02/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Dry Cleaning’s debut is coated in cool, art punk snark. Both to its benefit and its detriment.

I love spoken word vocals. Shocking, I know, but it’s true. I love it when acts, both new and old, both men and women, use monotone vox. I’m an absolute sucker for it. People love saying music is just poetry put to music, and I will admit that there’s truth to that. But vocals like these give that claim way more credence.

I assume you’ve already guessed by now, but London’s Dry Cleaning does the spoken word vocals shtick on this album. Not that it’s come out of nowhere or anything. Their first few EPs prior to this were the same way. They’re students of the school of art-y post-punk after all; acting like you don’t care is a pre-requisite. But I had always thought they did it well. Their laidback, sarcastic attitude may be a turn-off for some, but I just can’t get enough of it.

In that sense, New Long Leg doesn’t offer very much that you couldn’t get from their early work. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a solid outing to be sure. Opener “Scratchcard Lanyard,” the lead single of the album, is a wonderful track that evokes the sound of late-80s alternative rock with an unmistakable cool. Title track “New Long Leg’s” nonsensical ramblings regarding spoons and sundaes are perfectly reined in by the precise, sharp guitar and Shaw’s hushed delivery. I will say that a potential point of contention for some people might be the album’s lyrics, which are intentionally ambiguous and strange. “John Wick,” named after the film character, has nothing to do with the movie in any way, instead focusing on the narrator watching Antiques Roadshow:

“A poster, an Elmo costume, what can I say?”
”A drawstring dog bag, a young guy on a ski holiday.”

I’d say your potential enjoyment of New Long Leg is predicated on two things: 1) your tolerance for snark and 2) your ability to laugh off nonsense. Though, the dry vocals and sparse instrumentation give the band more than enough clearance for that sort of thing in my book.

But as much as I love the deadpan humor on the album, there’s always the worry that the band slips too deep. While I don’t think Dry Cleaning reach that point on this album, there are times when exaggerated shows of apathy are used in place of a solid backbone. The da-da-das peppered throughout “More Big Birds” do little to help the song’s monotonous, single-chord guitar strums. “A.L.C.” is the same way, though with slightly more diverse instrumentation and a solid lyrical focus (daydreaming about going outside while stuck in COVID-19 quarantine).

With the amount of positive press Dry Cleaning has received so far, it’s clear that they have an audience. Deservedly so, in my opinion. They definitely have the flair of a ‘too-cool-for-school’ post-punk group down pat, especially in the vocals department. But as a result, the songs are sometimes a bit undercooked. But for the most part, New Long Leg has more than enough style to get them though those low points. Poet slam finger snaps all around, cats.

The Ronettes ...Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes Featuring VeronicaBeat Happening Black Candy
tUnE-yArDs sketchy.Fawning Illusions of Control
Crywank Fist Me 'til Your Hand comes Out My MouthThe Avalanches We Will Always Love You
3.1
good

Stream: https://drycleaning.bandcamp.com/album/new-long-leg

Nobody did it, so I’ll do it.

AxeToFall93
April 7th 2021

This is pretty great for a debut.

April 7th 2021

Check the EPs if you like this. Both are just barely better than this.

Colton

Coltie and the Bannedshees

April 7th 2021

@Colton The Brits are gonna have a field day with that one.

They do post-punk probably better than anyone though. Worth the humanity drain.

i'd hope so considering their "country" yeeted post punk over 2 the states

April 7th 2021

alright enough shitpost-punk time to jam this alb

April 7th 2021

so looking forward to this.

April 7th 2021

this album rules thx sandwich

Are you taking a photo

Or drinking a bottle of water

You're a spoon pal, you are

pos'd

April 7th 2021

"can’t help but feel british people sacrifice what little humanity they have when they go and make post punk albums"

lmaoooo

April 7th 2021

"i will say tho, there is something uber-pretentious in a genre being called ART-rock or art-anything really"

i disagree but i also agree

April 7th 2021

i agree to disagree but i also disagree to agree

April 7th 2021

Didn't expect a feature since the album's been out for a while, but thanks to whomever.

JesperL
April 7th 2021

great review! don't think i'd like this but might give it a listen

Digging: Porter Robinson - Nurture

CaliggyJack

"art punk"

Oh dear...

April 7th 2021

"Cygnatti - he who doesn't like post-punk beyond that one depressed 70s album people wear shirts of"

so true! lmaooo