half/cut
Salt an Atlas

by Jesper L. CONTRIBUTOR (62 Reviews)
April 5th, 2021 | 31 replies

Release Date: 04/02/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Serenity of uncertainty

As ‘Sink in Deep’ indicates, Salt an Atlas crafts a world that’s not quite tied to one person’s perspective, instead shifting and blurring ambiguous boundaries at every turn. The song is a wonderful introduction to half/cut’s second full length album, where dreams become distorted realities, and deceptively jagged elements reconstruct themselves as smooth, rounded moments of unscathed peace. It’s a unique space where ambivalence shapeshifts into virtue, and violence insinuates serenity.

The Australian outfit blends a wide array of influences into its foundation sparkling dream pop, held together by Jessie Warren’s luminous vocals. Her voice is crystal clear, bouncing off of sparkly backdrops to ensure several half-lucid mantras are as transparent as they are intangibly incoherent. ‘Cricket’ contrasts the clear-cut “I’m here, I got this” with “But please turn the cricket on / I need to sleep”: an expression that would demarcate a drunk’s odd ramblings in any other context, but half/cut’s resilient world allows it to make perfect sense.

Elsewhere, ‘S.I.N.’ emphasises Salt an Atlas’ more progressive, twinkly leanings, contrasting beautifully intricate guitar work with Warren’s soft whispers of quiet hurting, quiet murder. Similarly satisfyingly offbeat, ‘Black Horse’ boasts the record’s most explosive chorus, establishing itself as a floaty psych-pop anthem in the process. Seemingly describing the post-death transformation from ashes to horse by means of salt water, the song wades in the type of uncertainty that characterises both half/cut’s music and all aspects of human life.

Salt an Atlas recognises the ambiguity of, well, everything ever, and invites listeners to let imaginations run wild instead of wallowing in the negative connotations of unpredictability. Thankfully, the equally unclear answers and ideas half/cut present are ones of gorgeous melodies and captivatingly peaceful patterns. This is an album to get lost in, if you allow it to momentarily fill spaces you hadn’t actively acknowledged previously.

PONY TV BabyCitizen Life In Your Glass World
Sullii Me and My Absent Mind AgainTigers Jaw I Won't Care How You Remember Me
Bathe Alone Last Looksnothing,nowhere. Trauma Factory

April 5th 2021

album is v v beautiful checc it plz: https://halfslashcut.bandcamp.com/album/salt-an-atlas

Digging: half/cut - Salt an Atlas

Nocte

weird band/album names.

would i like this?

April 5th 2021

i don't think you would, but go for it if you're feeling floaty and adventurous haha

nightbringer

Cool album art. Think I'll give this a spin :]

parksungjoon

Similar Bands: tide/edit, AC/DC, 156/Silence, bloom/pool, D/A/D

Dewinged

D.A.D.. are awsm btw.

Great rev dude, sounds like budgie-core and that means I shall check it.

Digging: Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The LSO - Promises

April 5th 2021

thx, hope you guys enjoy!

dewi, did you end up checking that bathe alone album? if not i def rec still giving that a listen :]

parksungjoon

where a/t/o/s

Dewinged
April 5th 2021

I did not cause I suck, but I will, cause I believe.

In redemption, that is.

Project
April 5th 2021

Every review of a dreampop album makes me think this will finally be the album to get me into the genre and then I never quite get there, but this review is so good I'm gonna try.

The fact that the album title is a palindrome helps too

Digging: half/cut - Salt an Atlas

April 5th 2021

haha i believe.. in you :]

and bless you project! i hope you'll be able to get something out of this!

(the palindrome thing is v cool agreed)

Bedex
April 5th 2021

is it dream pop enough to belong on a dream pop binge list?

nice rev as always jesp < 3

dedex

lovely lil rev this one

"floaty and adventurous" = Jespcore defined

Digging: Andy Stott - Never the Right Time

AaroN911

hmmm shoegaze eh?

April 5th 2021

aw thx, and yeah this deserves a spot on the binge!

it do be gazing oui

Project
April 5th 2021

jesper I have to thank you already, Ghosties is absolutely lovely

April 5th 2021

hell yeah project, i'm glad!

wildinferno2010
April 6th 2021

Oh, I love half/cut so much. Ecco Locale is one of my favourite local releases of all time. Great review Jesper, thanks for writing it!

April 6th 2021

ah cool wild, n thanks! :]

Rowan5215
April 6th 2021

very glad this band acknowledges that watching the cricket is the single most boring activity on planet earth. tempted to check this just cos of that and also your great write-up here

Digging: Brockhampton - Roadrunner: New Light, New Machine