Mythic Sunship
Wildfire

by Sunnyvale CONTRIBUTOR (21 Reviews)
April 4th, 2021 | 19 replies

Release Date: 04/02/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Say goodbye to the winter

Danish psych-rockers Mythic Sunship remain fairly under-the-radar, despite having a series of solidly-praised releases under their belt. Perhaps the best introduction which can be given for the group is that they are possibly most-reminiscent of their countrymen Causa Sui, also pursuing groovy jams on the mellow end of the stoner spectrum, perfect for warm weather listening. Wildfire is the band’s first studio LP since 2018’s Another Shape Of Psychedelic Music, an ambitious effort which brought greater attention to the group than ever before. Against this backdrop, the latest release seems to be a less grandiose attempt, but nonetheless the band has pulled off a successful new exploration of their calling card sound.

The orange and light red hues of Wildfire’s album artwork suggest a desert setting, and the music indeed emphasizes a warm, ray-drenched vibe. Wholly instrumental, the album’s five tracks clock in at under forty-four minutes in duration. Every tune here is lengthy (ranging from six to twelve minutes) and provides a summery sound evidently designed for a road trip, preferably one through an arid mountain landscape. The album exists in a strange paradox, simultaneously rather openly experimental while maintaining a surface level accessibility by which anyone with a preference for easy-going music and a tolerance for long-winded compositions can approach the record with ease.

Opener “Maelstrom” begins with a driving beat, and introduces the album with a cacophony of instruments, notably including a wild saxophone. Through a nearly eleven-minute runtime, the track takes a series of twists and turns, eventually reaching a spaced-out ending. “Maelstrom” serves as a solid template for what to expect from the rest of Wildfire, with its potent blend of psych elements, stoner groove, and serious jazzy tendencies. The last two tracks, “Redwood Grove” and the muscular (and excellent) closer “Going Up” feature a bit of a heavier sound than the first three, but the overall sound is cohesive, and it’s difficult to evaluate individual songs rather than discussing the album as a whole.

Mythic Sunship have achieved what they were aiming for with Wildfire: trippy mood music for summer days which rewards repeat listening. That said, this is indeed the sort of album which requires a listener to be a particular mindset to truly enjoy, and as such the amount of spins this work will receive is inherently limited. Nonetheless, to all of the musical world’s psych/space rock/stoner devotees, Wildfire serves a welcome reminder that spring is here and summer’s not far behind.

Dohlmen DohlmenThe Antlers Green to Gold
A.A. Williams Songs from IsolationCassandra Jenkins An Overview on Phenomenal Nature
Fruit Bats The Pet ParadeAlex Bleeker Heaven On The Faultline

April 4th 2021

Fairly quick writeup for a release which will likely not get the attention it deserves!

April 4th 2021

Oh shoot! New one!? Didn't know, cheers for the review Sunny! To the list it goes!

Digging: Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The LSO - Promises

Voivod

Well written, pos.

Great band, all their albums are a trip.

Digging: The Dead Daisies - Holy Ground

April 4th 2021

Thanks Dewinged and Voivod! I haven't heard all of their albums but the ones I have are consistently great

Deez
April 4th 2021

Had no idea they had a new one out. Nice one

Digging: John Coltrane - Live In Seattle

Nocte
April 4th 2021

Some of the prettiest art of the year so far. Review's not so bad either ; ]

Pho3nix
April 5th 2021

I hate 5-track records, but I'll czech this. I'm ready for summer.

Thanks for the rec!

Thanks all! I like the artwork too, Nocte

Veldin
April 5th 2021

should i start with Another Shape of Psychedelic Music?

JesperL
April 5th 2021

woah yeah that artwork is gorgeous, may have to give this a shot even though it doesn't really seem like my thing. great rev as always sunny!

Digging: half/cut - Salt an Atlas

farmerobama
April 5th 2021

Nice to see these guys get some love here. Great album, great review!

Digging: Mythic Sunship - Wildfire

April 5th 2021

Thanks everyone! @Veldin, either album should be good starting point. I'd say Another Shape Of Psychedelic Music is a tad better, but it is a half-hour longer than this one, if that's a concern.

farmerobama
April 5th 2021

I think Upheaval is the easiest one to get into, but this will do just fine

April 6th 2021

Having the same problem I had with Upheaval, I wonder why the band insist in this kind of mono production that results in a muddy mess. You can hear they are doing an incredibly cool jam and you can even discern more or less everything but man it sounds soooo... nasty.

April 6th 2021

@Dewinged, can't say I have a very keen ear for production, but I do agree that a different style may have let the music breathe a tad better

April 6th 2021

Me neither lol, but it just sounds so convoluted. Think about the kind of sound that Motorpsycho has, or even Colour Haze, or Causa Sui, although these guys are way more caustic than them. I think that would help to appreciate better all the stuff they pull off, cause they are really good musicians.

April 6th 2021

Haha, yeah, fair enough. I can agree with that assessment @Dewinged!

dedex

good lil rev Sunnydude

Digging: Andy Stott - Never the Right Time

April 6th 2021

Thanks @dedex, I appreciate it!