Kishi Bashi
Emigrant

by SowingSeason STAFF
April 4th, 2021 | 69 replies

Release Date: 04/02/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Kishi Bashi reaches into the dusty ol' Americana bag and pulls out another gem.

For those who have not yet listened to Omoiyari - Kishi Bashi's best album hands down - please show yourself out now. I have no further use for you. I guess I'm kidding or something, but the following analogy will certainly be lost on you then: imagine that Kaoru Ishibashi decided to create an entire EP in the same vein as "Annie, Heart Thief of the Sea." That's not a good thing, it's an amazing thing. You see, Omoiyari was the full realization of Kishi Bashi's sound - it was gorgeous, pastoral, resplendent, and a slew of other adjectives that might only apply to Sufjan Stevens. For as much as I enjoyed that record, I often found myself wondering where he'd go next. How could he top the beautifully intertwined romance and urgency of 'Summer of 42'? The more I thought about it, the more I realized that the answer was never going to be how he could top it, but it was instead going to be about how he could transform. "Annie, Heart Thief of the Sea" was an oddball closer for such a slickly produced LP - it was grainy, all guitars pluck-y, and the chorus felt like it could be sung at a backyard barbeque somewhere in Nowhere, America. I mean all this in the best way possible of course, because it's one of the best songs he's ever written - simultaneously catchy as hell, authentically rural, and indicative of a possible evolution in his sound. With this Emigrant EP, we witness that evolution starting to take hold. A collection of six tracks, including Dolly Parton and Regina Spektor covers, Emigrant is everything "Annie" was and then some. The acoustic guitars are rhythmically plucked, violins course throughout the EP's veins, fiddles are broken out with enthusiasm, and the rest is left to Ishibashi's mesmerizing harmonies. He's joined by incredible backing vocals from Emily Hope Price and Andrea Demarcus, which allow the melodies to swell and soar across the rustic soundscape. Each song feels like a bare-bones moment meant for life's most quiet, introspective, and contemplative moments. It's a piece of escapism, urging us not only to recognize the simple things in life but also to embrace them. It's really as Ishibashi sings on the somber penultimate 'Those Days are Gone': Soft as a glove, light as a dove...Just the purest of melodies.

s
Sheep, Dog and Wolf Two MindsDomestic Terminal I Could See Midnight Sky
Leon III Antlers in VelvetCloud Nothings The Shadow I Remember
The Beach Boys The Smile SessionsLeon III Leon III

Omoiyari

Sonderlust

Lighght

April 4th 2021

I wrote this in 15 minutes, probably deserves a more thorough dissection, but I did not want it to go by undetected here.

Digging: Manchester Orchestra - The Million Masks Of God

Sunnyvale
April 4th 2021

Nice review Sowing! I was considering writing a quick review for this one, looks like you touched on a lot of the same points (although your rating suggests you're a bit more enamored of this one than I am). Kishi Bashi is the man, regardless

Anthracks
April 4th 2021

so sad i didn't get the really cool looking vinyl

Digging: Cryptosis - Bionic Swarm

April 4th 2021

Sweet review. And today I learned about the 'banjola'.

And ok, he can have this venture into hillbilly territory, because the music is always so nice.

April 4th 2021

I didn't go into the lyrics here but I'm detecting a lot of similar themes to what we heard on Omoiyari, which is great.

ChoccyPhilly
April 4th 2021

a lot of charm but kind of slips past me at times. I can see it being a grower though

Digging: Solbrud - Vemod

Anthracks
April 4th 2021

forever limited by the fact that it contains two covers, but the originals are phenomenal

April 4th 2021

I think Laughing With is one of the better songs here

zaruyache

sounds pretty ima check

bandcamp link:

wicked! omoiyari is a hard 5

heyadam

hype to check

Dewinged
April 5th 2021

I could never get into this guy (i think I enjoyed one album only?) His posi vibes are overwhelming.

Digging: Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The LSO - Promises

April 5th 2021

Dewi that album was probably Lighght, and I agree. You should check Omoiyari. It's an album with themes of love and Japanese internment; his sound will never be "dark" but at least that one's not overwhelmingly positive. The opener kinda is actually lol, but don't let that deter you. Very rich pastoral vibes throughout.

Dewinged
April 5th 2021

It was "Lighght" yeah, maybe i should check Sonderlust cause the cover looks like a death metal album lol

April 5th 2021

^ also great, but omoiyari is next level

April 5th 2021

"Town of pray" is one hell of a song

Veldin
April 5th 2021

Will check this out. Found him via of Montreal's 'Paralytic Stalks' and really enjoy his work.

JohnnyoftheWell

Nice gonna jam + read soon as I'm clear of Godspeed

Digging: Xiu Xiu - OH NO

April 5th 2021

>His posi vibes are overwhelming.

Aww it's so sad you can't appreciate that.

But yeah Omoiyari is a heartbreaker.

Pikazilla

Americana? Ew.

I love Kishi but why pick one of the worst genres of all time