Godspeed You! Black Emperor
G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!

by DocSportello USER (26 Reviews)
April 2nd, 2021 | 76 replies

Release Date: 04/02/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Same old instruments, new frequencies

It is a joke, the title. Good one, Godspeed––er, G_d’s Pee, sorry.
It is also deadly serious, the title. Borderline reverent, deference in vowel’s omission.
The trauma we’re enduring; that fatigue you’re feeling; the calamity to come, it’s real;
And words fail here––call it black-hole corona-matter, so to speak––celestial piss––
The Wrath of God is no joke. Prepare your soul and steel your mind. States will fall...
And then transform. Cuz it ain’t the *end*-end. But it’s an end. Accept it. Take heart.
You aren’t powerless in this. That’s their thesis, and that’s STATE’S END in a nutshell.

You sigh. Weary listener you are. You’ve outgrown this brand of theater. It’s pretentious. Damn right, it’s pretentious. This is Godspeed You! Black Emperor, after all. What do you expect? Chill? Restraint? C’mon. You either roll with it or you don’t. If you do, you know it comes down to the quality of your experience; and the way I see it, the band’s execution here––both in terms of their aggressively wordy, politically-charged promotion strategy as well as the record’s deep cohesion––makes for a classic Godspeed experience.

There’s much to be said about the group’s version 2.0 studio formula, their use of interludes between longer meditations, and how this structure deviates from their earlier, less reified approach to sonic world-building. And it’s significant that STATE’S END doesn’t modify this formula. Two chonkers, with intermissions. What enables the group’s seventh album to stand out from their previous three is the way the whole thing functions as a singular experience. The two long tracks are brothers. Twins, “Shine on You Crazy Diamond” grieving for our brain-addled present. They begin proper with iterations on a theme redolent of Vangelis, and then they do their work. “A Military Alphabet” takes its time, as befits its role as overture. “Government Came,” on the other hand, falls headlong into generic post-rock routine.

You’ll either like these big tracks or you won’t. Me? I think they’re awesome: exciting, cinematic, and adventurous. You may find them derivative, exhausted, straining. And in a way, they are. But see, that’s part of the appeal, the self-reflexive reckoning with form and message––it speaks to me as citizen of a flailing culture. So I get the criticisms. I agree with them. Nevertheless, STATE’S END strikes me as a near-classic. Elevated by two incredibly realized interludes serving as links to the two major nodes, this record arguably presents Godspeed’s most unified stretch of music this side of Slow Riot. Instead of dispensing the energy of “A Military Alphabet,” “Fire at Static Valley” feeds on the tension of its field-recording conclusion, channels it forward––and it is this refusal to end a thought that finally propels Godspeed 2.0 to the threshold of their classic works. A tired but hopeful, subtle yet familiar album, it will probably not top the pundits’ lists when the time comes, if it even comes; but for now, if you feel so compelled, you may lift whatever’s left of you. To Heaven. To the coming flood.

Saint Pepsi Mannequin ChallengeVampire Weekend iTunes Session
Weezer The Teal AlbumWeezer Everything Will Be Alright in the End
The Flaming Lips The Terrorof Montreal Paralytic Stalks
JohnnyoftheWell STAFF (2.5)
No vacancies at this apocalypse...

YadMot (4.5)
Forging a new path....

IAmTheWoodenDoors (4.5)
As the world seems evermore grim, Godspeed You! Black Emperor are looking on the bright side of life...

DocSportello

1912 Comments

Far from my most polished piece of work, but I've been listening to this thing on repeat all week and couldn't resist. Album releases officially at midnight, but it's streaming on the group's official Bandcamp now.

anarchistfish
April 2nd 2021

I like your takes. Does feel familiar but the band at a new peak at the same time

Still no one hits like these guys

Digging: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!

Jasdevi087

Godschleep

Digging: The The - Infected

Dewinged
April 2nd 2021

Great review Doc. Will check this tomorrow.

Digging: Spectral Wound - A Diabolic Thirst

rc239
April 2nd 2021

can't wait to listen to this

FabiusPictor202

lmao ^

Digging: Cannibal Corpse - Violence Unimagined

Trundle

my first 5 since 2013

April 2nd 2021

God's pee at shit ass garbage end

April 2nd 2021

Best Godspeed in a long time. I still think Asunder is hella underrated, but this is better.

The finality of Government Came might not have mattered so much a few years ago, but now it just feels like a perfect soundtrack to the post-Trump covid era. If ever there was an easy time to relate to apocalyptic post-rock...

Digging: Greta Van Fleet - The Battle at Garden's Gate

Nocte
April 2nd 2021

Sowing about to change his avatar again?

Digging: Esoctrilihum - Dy'th Requiem for the Serpent Telepath

Colton

make it Jenna Fischer again

Get Low

rules

zaruyache
April 2nd 2021

andy cartwright dropped a new ambient field recordings thingamabob today too, if you're in the mood for noise from a not quite dead world.

Kompys2000
April 2nd 2021

This is really good, might edge out Allelujah for my 3rd favorite from these guys but we'll see how it holds up with repeat listens

Digging: Witxes - A Fabric of Beliefs

Get Low
April 2nd 2021

Anyone know what the D.H. in Our Side Has To Win (for D.H.) stands for?

JayEnder
April 2nd 2021

Gyro you probably didn't even listen to it smh

Digging: Hail the Sun - New Age Filth

Slex
April 2nd 2021

"These guys are soooooooo pretentious ugh"

Band makes pun about their name

"ugh I'm sick of the games this band is so stupid"

Digging: The Armed - Ultrapop

Just finished

Tunaboy45
April 2nd 2021

Dizzying new heights of piss

Digging: Xiu Xiu - OH NO

anatelier
April 2nd 2021

"Anyone know what the D.H. in Our Side Has To Win (for D.H.) stands for?"

dan harmon