Kanonenfieber
Menschenmühle

by manosg STAFF
March 10th, 2021 | 31 replies

Release Date: 02/20/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Back to the front.

It is always refreshing for me when I come around a black metal album that deals with a subject matter other than old Mr. D, even though "refreshing" might be misleading, considering that Kanonenfieber focuses on World War I. However these guys play the World War card so well, that for a good 50 minutes, you feel like you're stuck in a muddy trench a century ago. The cover art brought to my mind Pink Floyd's the mincer from The Wall and illustrates perfectly how innocent lives are being treated cynically like commodities by those who gain from war. Additionally, there are samples scattered throughout that fit seamlessly into the songs and do a great job of painting that bleak WWI picture.

One thing, though, that prevents me from taking in everything that this album has to offer, is the use of German lyrics. However, the use of the German language suits the subject perfectly, so this is by no means a drawback of Menschenmühle, but rather a limitation of mine. Actually, the vocals play a vital role in conveying a variety of emotions such as anger, desperation, hatred, and pain, among others. For the most part, the vocalist uses a death growl which, combined with the guitars and the drumming, creates a sense of urgency. Nonetheless, what might draw a non-black metal enthusiast's attention, is the use of other elements from post-rock and doom metal. For example, "Grabenkampf" starts off with a death metal riff and has a post-rock section in the middle with a sound sample, allowing the listener to take a breather. Essentially, most songs are varied, which helps in making this one an engaging experience that lets you discover more with each listen, such as rock guitar lick on "Unterstandsangst".

The production on Menschenmühle is spotless and creates a big sound that suits the grim/violent atmosphere on here. In fact, it augments the band's great sense of melody and the emotional rollercoaster that this LP is. Finally, I love how the closer is purely acoustic - which is something that I had hoped - but as a song, it doesn't do much, apart from ending this one in an anticlimactic manner; just imagine Motorhead's "1916" in its place. However, don't let this minor downside prevent you from checking what is an extremely solid WWI-themed black metal album.

Black Label Society Doom Crew Inc.Gelure The Candlelight Tomes
Fragment Soul Axiom Of ChoiceBlazon Stone Damnation
Frost-Rimed Iron The Fire of ConquestBlaze Bayley War Within Me

This is very solid.

Digging: Reinforcer - Prince of the Tribes

garas
March 10th 2021

"Anticlimactic" was the perfect word I haven't found for this. Still a consistently good album. Good to see this got a review! It was a great read, manos!

Digging: Burzum - Aske

March 10th 2021

Appreciate it, garas. This is so easy to jam, that I have been listening to it almost daily.

XyphDryne
March 10th 2021

Then maybe you like this:https://dauthuzbm.bandcamp.com/album/die-grubenm-hre
It is a black metal album about working below ground and the hardship of the industrialisation era.

Cool, thanks!

Gameofmetal
March 10th 2021

solid record, liked it more than i thought i would

Donchivo
March 10th 2021

A Black Metal album with a martial German bandname and titel about World War I is refreshing? What about a Power Metal album about heroes and dragons? Or a Punk rock album called 'Fuck the System'?

Very solid reveiw as usual apart from that!

Digging: Barry Manilow - One Voice

Gnocchi
March 11th 2021

Commenting here now to remind myself to check this after work.

Digging: Obscura - A Valediction

grannypantys
March 11th 2021

takes a while to pick up steam but this album really jams

March 11th 2021

"A Black Metal album with a martial German bandname and titel about World War I is refreshing? What about a Power Metal album about heroes and dragons?"

You're probably right there, it's just that I haven't checked a lot of black metal with this theme so I generalized a bit. But, a Power Metal album about heroes and dragons? Hah, I'm always up for some heroes and dragons.

garas
March 11th 2021

> "A Black Metal album with a martial German bandname and titel about World War I is refreshing?"

Not a typical theme, so yes it is refreshing...

TheNotrap
March 11th 2021

I love these short, nice reviews. The World War I topic aroused my curiosity.

Digging: Malignant Altar - Realms of Exquisite Morbidity

March 11th 2021

Appreciate it, man. I also enjoy more writing shorter reviews. Knowing your taste, I can definitely see you enjoying this one.

zelenichajnik
March 11th 2021

Absolutely seconding the Dauþuz rec, incredible band

Sounds like it could be a sweet time. I'm here for the doom metal vibes you extol ;] Nice review!

Thanks, hope you enjoy!

Pho3nix
March 11th 2021

I love the album cover, will czech!

thanks for the rec.

March 11th 2021

Always a pleasure, Pho3nix. Hope you enjoy.

Brabiz
March 11th 2021

Idk. WAR is equally as boring.

Digging: Devourment - Molesting the Decapitated

Davil667
March 12th 2021

Short and to the point, great review manosg, you totally captured my interest here, already ordered a copy of this one.

March 12th 2021

Always appreciate the support, Davil.