Tigers Jaw
I Won't Care How You Remember Me

by Jesper L. CONTRIBUTOR (62 Reviews)
March 5th, 2021 | 168 replies

Release Date: 03/05/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A warm embrace from a familiar friend

Tigers Jaw have always felt a bit like an anomaly in the wonderful corner of music run by Run For Cover, Will Yip and half a dozen bands trying to recapture Peripheral Vision’s magic. The band’s attitude is uncharacteristically chill, as they seem to simply be cruising along no matter the circumstances internal or external to the band. While it’s commendable that the majority of the members quitting left the remaining power duo of Ben and Brianna seemingly unfazed, it is the sense of authenticity that makes Tigers Jaw as strong of a unit as they are. From the angsty pop punk leanings of their lauded self-titled debut to the chill-but-not-a-victim-of-Turnover-isms spin, the band seem to exclusively put forth the music they want to make, and thankfully, this music happens to be pretty damn good.

I Won’t Care How You Remember Me is no exception to this rule. Instead of forcing progression or embarking on wildly new adventures, the band stay within their comfort zone while embracing as many warm and inviting melodies as possible. ‘Hesitation’ boasts a typical Tigers Jaw chorus, equal parts punchy and floaty as Ben Walsh’s unique voice guides the song into a brief, satisfying conclusion. Similarly, ‘Cat’s Cradle’ thrives off a simplistic synth melody and crunchy guitars elegantly trading the spotlight. Brianna Collins, whose voice is used less sparingly throughout the record to great effect, adds a luscious touch to the track and provides a pleasantly detached contrast to the familiar palette. I Won’t Care... is not an album of grandiose, standout moments: rather, it sees fit to bundle straightforwardly pleasant songs into an intimate, colourful bouquet.

As such, standout moments are easy to identify. The opener and title track is a slice of indie rock perfection, directing smooth acoustic wails into a delicately soaring conclusion, aided by omnipresent indie God™ Andy Hull. Elsewhere, ‘Commit’ adopts a bouncy indie pop aesthetic, displaying Brianna’s brightest vocal performance to date. Such moments provide some welcome variation to a relatively homogenous album. Yet, quite remarkably, I Won’t Care… more than gets away with seeming like a ‘Tigers Jaw on autopilot’-record. While it’s clear that the band are not trying to expand their sonic textures, the album feels like the product of seasoned songwriters knowing precisely where their strengths and weaknesses lie. It can be felt in ‘Can’t Wait Forever’s understated guitar solo or in ‘Heaven Apart’s scintillating lyricism: every moment is crafted with clear care and passion. It may not be the most ambitious or poignant Tigers Jaw album, but I Won’t Care... is a warm embrace from a familiar friend; something which is more than welcome in present times.

PONY TV Babyhalf/cut Salt an Atlas
Citizen Life In Your Glass WorldSullii Me and My Absent Mind Again
Bathe Alone Last Looksnothing,nowhere. Trauma Factory

March 5th 2021

good news: hopeless records did not destroy this band

Digging: half/cut - Salt an Atlas

onionbubs
March 5th 2021

yeah this is a lot of fun. almost not sure how itll fare here but im enjoying it

Digging: ERRA - ERRA

Dedes
March 5th 2021

Nice review my man will czech
I've always had a lil soft spot for Tigers Jaw, especially since they're like, 20 minutes away from where I live lol

Divaman
March 5th 2021

Oh nice. I wasn't aware they had a new one coming out. Thanks for the heads up.

Digging: Grouplove - This Is This

Conmaniac
March 5th 2021

I'm soooooooo hype for this album. Some of the singles have worked their way into my brain already esp Hesitation.

SteakByrnes
March 5th 2021

Oh hey it's the band with the pizza, been meaning to check their stuff. Good review jesper my brother

Digging: ERRA - ERRA

March 5th 2021

I remember their split with Balance And Composure slapped back in the day, will check

Digging: TWICE - FANCY YOU

thx dudes!

pizza band is always good no matter what

March 5th 2021

Enjoyed hearing Brianna take the lead on one of the singles, all the singles were straightforward and fun. Love the review summary. Will check out the whole album today.

March 5th 2021

"aided by omnipresent indie God™ Andy Hull" Yes. This dude has been BUSY.

Matt Maeson, Touche Amore, Tigers Jaw, re-recording simple math acoustic, working on finishing sinful math and a new album on the way

dedex

comfy rev dude

Digging: Andy Stott - Never the Right Time

March 5th 2021

"aided by omnipresent indie God™ Andy Hull" Yes. This dude has been BUSY.

hel9000
March 5th 2021

Nice review man, think I’ll check this out

WalrusTusk
March 5th 2021

Have a feeling this is gonna be one of my favorite summer albums.

March 5th 2021

This is so much better than Spin, I am digging this more than anything they have done since pizza party.

GreyShadow
March 5th 2021

i put on Cat's Cradle and now it looks like i'm just letting it play. the word i'm feeling so far is: pleasant

ty < 3

this'll make a super nice summer album for sure! and yeah, 'pleasant' sums it up in the best way possible

gryndstone

1906 Comments

i liked spin better but this still has some very pleasant vibes indeed

Slugboiiii

Opener absolutely slaps

AxeToFall93
March 5th 2021

Probably the most fitting caption ever. Solid review, record is a banger.