The Weather Station
Ignorance

by Brandon Taylor USER (32 Reviews)
February 22nd, 2021 | 15 replies

Release Date: 02/05/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "It does not matter to the world if I embody it / It could not matter less that I wanted to be a part of it / Still I fumble with my hands and tongue to open and part it"

2 weeks ago in my review of Rhye’s new album Home I lamented the fact that they hadn’t progressed their alternative R&B sound into more interesting channels since their debut 8 years ago. It’s fitting then that my follow-up review is of The Weather Station’s Ignorance, a record that elevates the same orchestral sophisti-pop to dazzling heights. Tamara Lindeman possesses such a confidence with her vocals, lyrics and arrangements – I’m unsurprised that this is the band’s 5th album but also left wondering why they haven’t blown up commercially before this.

Do yourself a favour and go on Genius to read Lindeman’s track-by-track commentary. There is a childlike-yet-wise profundity to her view on life and it shows through in her music as well, which is at the same time self-assured and curious. Even before you pay attention to the lyrics, you can tell Ignorance is no ordinary chamber-pop album. Violins, piano and woodwinds swell and contract like a human respiratory system, which feels appropriate given how existentially focused the album’s themes are. The repeated references to birds, the sky and the climate crisis make you feel like you’re on the musical equivalent of a wilderness hike, and every flute trill, reverb-ing piano chord or drum pattern fills up your lungs like a fresh breeze. In case you couldn’t tell, listening to Ignorance was a cleansing act for me, and I feel better and more mindful for it. Even if you don’t feel as untethered as I did during your listening, this is a record that lyrically, thematically, vocally or instrumentally, everyone should be able to take something positive away from.

Pale Waves Who Am I?Rhye Home
Zayn Nobody Is ListeningRobin Guthrie and Harold Budd Mysterious Skin: Music From The Film
La Roux SupervisionA.A.L. (Against All Logic) 2017-2019

31959 Comments

personally found this slow and dull as hell front to back. her voice is good and the instrumentation is nice enough but after 2 full listens i have no desire to return to any track here.

Digging: Daniel Knox - Won't You Take Me With You

nightbringer
February 22nd 2021

About time this has a review - and this a good one. I had a good first impression of this - hence the rating - but not sure it's holding up. First couple tracks are lovely but it seems to get much simpler after that. Dunno, need more time with this.

Dewinged
February 22nd 2021

"Do yourself a favour and go on Genius to read Lindeman’s track-by-track commentary. "

I would leave this for the comments, if I'm reading your review I kinda prefer to read your comments!

The album is fine, like you said maybe a jam following the lyrics would add to it (most albums do) but what I heard didn't call for a second listen.

Digging: Lost Horizons - In Quiet Moments

ChoccyPhilly
February 22nd 2021

ooh i like the sound of this

Digging: A.A.L. (Against All Logic) - 2012-2017

Sunnyvale

2037 Comments

Glad to see this get a review. This is a solid album, sadly it hasn't quite held up well to repeated listening for me though.

AmericanFlagAsh
February 22nd 2021

This has grown on me a lot since first listen

Digging: The Weather Station - Ignorance

theBoneyKing

19894 Comments

Glad this got a review, great album. Really love the bookends.

February 22nd 2021

Thought this was pretty boring

Digging: Ultravox - Systems Of Romance

Kiran

Tried To Tell You is such a good song

AmericanFlagAsh
February 23rd 2021

Tried To Tell You is easily my favorite

Jash
February 23rd 2021

Had this on repeat until Cassandra Jenkin’s came and blew this out of the water

Digging: Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview on Phenomenal Nature

NorthernSkylark
February 25th 2021

That never happened to me, still spin this every week esp I tried to tell you

Digging: Leon III - Antlers in Velvet

luci
March 5th 2021

still spin this every week [2]

holding up better than most hyped indie records

Polvo
March 8th 2021

First song got me teased but for now it all just sound a bit samey and safe to me. Kind of wallpaper drumming too, like it's just here to secure tempo.

Polvo
March 8th 2021

Actually drums wouldn't be a problem to me if it wasn't so much in front of the mix.