Jarcrew
Jarcrew

by fogza USER (29 Reviews)
February 20th, 2021 | 11 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Engage forward movement and sweatiness. The lyrics don't matter.

Flip on Jarcrew's self-titled. Instantly, you're a spy, and you're being pursued down the high street of a small Welsh town. Comic book style framing of faces; eyes widen; a foot race ensues. You've gained a little - you catch your breath with your back to the corner of wall. And then someone jumps on a stack of acrylic paint tubes - you're caught in a post-hardcore rainbow money shot mural. Opener mission accomplished.

Jarcrew's members hail from a miniscule town in Wales. After getting an enthusiastic underground following, things started to happen - they even got some funding to re-master their debut, and embark on a country wide tour. Typical of interesting bands, they imploded. Front man Kelson Matthias joined the brilliant Future of the Left, and that was that.

They left behind this little shapeshifter of a record. There's a fair bit of screaming, but it doesn't sound angry - more like a bratty trip on energy drinks. The front five tracks smash you like synthetic pina colada filled balloons, but in the chaos, they easily morph into snippets of great pop. Two minutes and some change into 'Defacto Symphony', and they shift up from a noisy bed jumping party into the best Strokes song you've never heard. The single 'Paris & The New Math' is just pure dance punk designed to get you to mumble the insanely catchy hook as a mantra before diving into rearranging your cupboard after twelve months of organisational paralysis. 'Boy Wonder’ sounds like Britt Daniel being flattened by a runaway organ. Any bystanders engage in a dance-off afterwards.

As much as I love this album, I must admit there is a potential sequencing flaw. 'Bill Carson', presumably named after the Western guitarist (I did not know the strat was designed for him!), slows everything down with a moody twang surf intro that drifts into a synth field, then meanders into a climatic guitar passage. It all gets a bit post rock going into the second half of the ten minute instrumental. I don't really dislike it, and a band like this needs to run wild to work. My gripe is it doesn't fit in the flow, but I could see someone else loving this divider track.

The final stretch picks itself up - still rough and tumble, but maybe just a bit slower to let your calves recover, and to show that the band also knows about horns. Closer 'Sad French Death Metal' picks up chaos thread in your listener sweater, and has the has the band repeatedly shouting the upbeat hook over moody piano keys introduced like a dance track layer (perhaps as a nod to the title?). Then they congo it out.

The Jayhawks Hollywood Town HallStill Corners The Last Exit
Sugardrive Sand.Man.Sky.Lou Reed Coney Island Baby
Boilermaker LeucadiaPascal Pinon Sundur

February 20th 2021

Great little upbeat dance punk ditties from the past. Enjoy!

Digging: The Buckfever Underground - Last Days Of Beautiful

DadKungFu
February 20th 2021

I remember hearing Paris and the New Math back in the day and thinking it was better than average ATDI-core. The whole album is surprisingly fun and diverse. Good writeup, ty for reminding me of this band

February 20th 2021

"ty for reminding me of this band"

np, thank you for independently confirming that this band is fun!

February 20th 2021

Hang on, Jarcrew wasn’t even in the database? Eh. Nice work here fogza.

Admittedly I haven’t heard this, but I believe they have some sort of connection to Future of the Left which means I’m instantly intrigued.

Digging: Husker Du - New Day Rising

February 20th 2021

Yeah, Kelson was the front man of jarcrew, and he was obs FOTL's first bassist and co-vocalist

February 20th 2021

In retrospect I should have chosen a FOTL record he was actually on in the recommendations

February 20th 2021

Yeah that might have made more sense, haha. Is there no way of editing these things?

There is and I have...

February 24th 2021

Yeah this has some fun ideas. However it feels awkward in places and doesn’t flow particularly well. The haphazard approach to sequencing sort of works up until ‘Carson‘ kicks in, latter half is very inconsistent and at times, borderline clumsy.

At least DKF liked it more, making me feel less guilty about the rating. It’s hard scoring stuff with so few ratings.

February 24th 2021

Shot for giving it a go though...

February 24th 2021

I was always going to because of the FotL connection. Thanks for reminding me it existed. Good review!