Landon Tewers
Frontal Lobe Submission

by Tyler W. CONTRIBUTOR (53 Reviews)
January 30th, 2021 | 8 replies

Release Date: 01/29/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Finding balance in the despair

Known as the front man of alternative metal/metalcore group The Plot in You, Landon Tewers is often associated with the heavier, aggressive side of music. However, with his newest EP, I]Frontal Lobe Submission[/i], Tewers breaks beyond the boundaries of his primary band and solidifies his sound with a more subtle, pop-influenced style that showcases the deep, emotional performance of his solo work. Combining pop and R&B with the atmospheric tones of rock and post-hardcore-influence, Landon Tewers finds a balance of emotion between the surfacing aggression of shortcomings and the emanating depression and despair.

With the opening track of the EP, Tewers immediately establishes the balance between the pop-influence and the aggressive-tinged tone. Beginning with a chill, ambient synth providing a backbone to Tewers’ gliding vocals, “Gospel Therapy” explodes into a driving drum beat and energetic synths with shouts, creating a contrast of sound within the track. This polarity of sounds is expanded on throughout the EP as Tewers experiments with acoustics, pop synths, and atmospheric electric guitar work. The emotional aggression within shines through the dramatic ambience of “Kill Me” (accentuated by Rory Rodiguez’s impactful accompaniment) and the powerful chorus of “Gave My All” as both tracks utilize a variety of distortion, reverb, and full atmosphere that hit to the core of listeners. On the other end of the spectrum, “Just Talkin” and “When I’m Gone” strip back the aggression for a somber tone, highlighting the depressing undertones with an emphasis on acoustics, melancholy atmosphere, and emotionally raw vocals.

Throughout Frontal Lobe Submission, Tewers deals with depression head on, recognizing his failures and shortcomings and sourcing them through the emotion within the music. From the frustration of one-sided efforts in “Gave My All” to the solemn realization of distance in “F Pacing” to the reminiscing in despair of “When I’m Gone”, Tewers leaves himself vulnerable and transparent, open for all to peer in and see the hurt and agony within. Not only do the words themselves share the emotion, but Tewers’ performance exudes all of this agony, despair, and hurt with powerful shouting, faltering singing, and intense melodies. Moreover, the additional support from Rory Rodiguez of Dayseeker and Gabbie Hanna each match his emotion on their respective tracks, amplifying the intensity of the experience to another level.

In a mere six songs in under 19 minutes, Landon Tewers puts on a show of emotionally charged performances, dealing with the agonies and problems in his life through a musical form that don’t seem to change in reality. With the contrast of styles contained within I]Frontal Lobe Submission[/i], he creates a polarizing presentation of frustration with despair and hurt, highlighting the power contained within this EP. Sure, it may not have the heavier aggression of The Plot in You, but this is just as powerful and impactful as anything Tewers has put his efforts toward.

Twenty One Pilots Scaled and IcyDarko (US) Darko
Katahdin No Longer Room For UsLove and Death Perfectly Preserved
Of Mice and Men TimelessKars Landman Clouds

January 30th 2021

Man, it's been a while since I've done a review. This is actually going to be posted to CaliberTV tomorrow morning (just got hired as a staff writer there) but thought I would go ahead and give this a post here and get some discussion for this EP going!

Feedback and criticism always greatly appreciated

SteakByrnes
January 30th 2021

Got around to reading it man and the review is sweet! Missed reading your reviews haha, gotta check this EP asap

Digging: Origami Button - No Parking

JayEnder
January 30th 2021

Review is ace dude! And congrats for the promotion on Caliber.

As far as this EP goes, its definitely his strongest effort. Gave My All is such a great tune and probably my favorite song by him in general. That chorus is god tier

Digging: Alexis Marshall - House of Lull. House of When

January 30th 2021

"Missed reading your reviews" I've missed writing them, hopefully I'll be jumping back into a weekly routine of writing!

"Review is ace dude! And congrats for the promotion on Caliber." Thanks Jay!

been loving this EP more and more with each listen, Gave My All is just way too powerful

January 30th 2021

I dig his heavier stuff ,
Otherwise whiteboy Weeknd doesn’t cut it for
Me.

Digging: KANGA - You And I Will Never Die

January 30th 2021

I mean, he does the whiteboy Weeknd stuff pretty well

butt.
January 31st 2021

Wow this got a review fast! Nice job. Lovinggg this EP. Kill Me and When I’m Gone are both like 7/10, everything else is an 8 or 9

January 31st 2021

"Wow this got a review fast! Nice job." Thank you! It's been too long since I've written, so I forced myself to write this up and get it in ASAP

and yeah, I'd agree that most of the stuff here is an 8, but When I'm Gone just hit me different and it's one of my favorites of the EP