The Avalanches
We Will Always Love You

by User Review By USER (59 Reviews)
December 13th, 2020 | 75 replies

Release Date: 12/11/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Cue the sad, electric violins.

With the release of Wildflower, The Avalanches’ first record in over 15 years, there was always the worry that it wouldn’t live up to the standard set by their universally-praised debut. Whether or not that album did much for you personally, the general consensus was that it succeeded in being (at the very least) a decent comeback record. A sentiment that I agree with. Personally, I believe time has been rather kind to Wildflower. Four years later, I still find myself listening to it quite a bit.

However, I knew deep down that the follow-up would be a bit different than what I was expecting. It’s practically cliché to make note of the fact that any media that re-appears after a long hiatus, whether music, movies, or television, tries to play it safe at the very beginning before trying something new. New, at least, for the people making it. Usually, these shifts in direction involve following modern trends and styles that other artists have already pioneered and perfected in their long absence. And We Will Always Love You, for the most part, feels a lot like that. Like a big game of ‘catch-up’ for the production duo of Robbie Chater and Tony Di Blasi. The two, presumably after hearing some newer styles of house and dance, decided to give those styles a half-hearted spin for themselves. And the result, is yet another reunion album stuck in purgatory, struggling between old comforts and new experiments.

The standard building blocks of the Avalanches sound are still here, of course: sampling, interconnected tracks, and a psychedelic/disco sound. However, the production on the album is very hit-or-miss. A strange criticism to be lobbing at veteran producers like The Avalanches, but it’s the truth. Tracks like “Wherever You Go” end up sounding dizzyingly unfocused, spreading itself way too thin between two vocalists (Neneh Cherry and CLYPSO) and producer Jamie xx. “Take Care in Your Dreaming’s” dull instrumentals and beat clash wildly with the three guest vocalists. “Reflecting Light” pairs up Sananda Maitreya and Vashti Bunyan in a track that somehow manages to do no favors for either artist, with the overpowering instrumental mix distracting from their performances. Really, all of the features on We Will Always Love You end up doing very little to bolster these tracks. On Wildflower, I remember not particularly enjoying the features very much either, but on this, they range from inconsequential to outright unfitting. Only adding on to the problems, half of We Will Always Love You’s runtime is taken up by moodier, more atmospheric (and quite honestly, more generic sounding) pieces, which pairs poorly with the dense, wall-to-wall mixing.

All that said, the few bright spots on We Will Always Love You are genuinely good. “Oh the Sunn!,” the eponymous “We Will Always Love You,” and the lovely disco track “The Divine Chord” are all highlights in my eyes. Unfortunately, despite all their efforts, the duo still seems to be much more comfortable taking cues from themselves and reverting to SILY-isms. Songs like the high-energy “Music Makes Me High” and the funky “Born to Lose” make this fact abundantly clear.

It is also made clear that this was The Avalanches’ attempt at throwing off their status as highly regarded “plunderphonics disco dance music” producers and make a slightly more conventional release. And, in some respects, they’ve succeeded. But in the process, the group ends up sounding ever closer to becoming standard artsy pop/R&B producers. Which begs the question: what separates The Avalanches from the litany of other acts out there now, other than the faint hints of their past sound strewn about this album? Listening to We Will Always Love You, I’m not sure I really know.

The Ronettes ...Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes Featuring VeronicaBeat Happening Black Candy
Dry Cleaning New Long LegtUnE-yArDs sketchy.
Fawning Illusions of ControlCrywank Fist Me 'til Your Hand comes Out My Mouth
Kirk Bowman STAFF (4.8)
my voice is still gonna be here...

SublimeSound (4.5)
Transmissions from a satellite heart....

SandwichBubble
December 13th 2020

Didn't proofread, too busy. Just wait for the staff/contrib review, honestly.

Stream: https://open.spotify.com/album/755yBlrk0Sz8tIgMMTgyr1

December 13th 2020

this is a little out of your comfort zone dont ya think

December 13th 2020

This is definitely better than Wildflower

Observer
December 13th 2020

I enjoyed my first listen. Wildflower was a letdown for me

December 13th 2020

blood orange track absolutely fucks to absolutely no surprise

December 13th 2020

Wildflower is still stunning and features some of their best tracks (stepkids, subways, saturday night inside out, if i was a folkstar) but this album is far more sonically cohesive

December 13th 2020

"Ily sandwich but this review is just one giant bad take. Wherever you go is stunning, same with take care in your dreaming"

don't expect sandwich to have good takes on anything that doesn't sound like the strokes

December 13th 2020

Yeah the title track might still be my favourite

December 14th 2020

i deffs prefer this to wildflower as well btw

December 14th 2020

the feature list on this thing is hilarious

Slex
December 14th 2020

This is way better than Wildflower

Digging: The Armed - Ultrapop

December 14th 2020

yeah wildflower was big meh for me this is big tendy tho

Sinternet
December 14th 2020

damn they got vashti bunyan on this shit might have to check

Digging: Lost Girls - Menneskekollektivet

Squiggly
December 14th 2020

About the thing with guest vocalists being spread too thin, I think I know what you mean, Sandwich is that the amount of guests makes it feel like there's too much going on musically. But that's the Avalanches trademark. The thing about the beat "clashing wildly" is just not true. Mostly everyone sounds tight af together.

And yes Gyro and Potsy I agree about this being cohesive and better than Wildflower!

Digging: Tirzah - Devotion

Sinternet

If I:
-have gonorrhea
-diarrhaea
-and i found blood in my shit last night

would i like this?

December 14th 2020

i have since i left you 5'd and wildflower 3'd and thought both siifu tracks were relatively weak compared to other tracks here so chances are yes you will still like this

Rowan5215
December 14th 2020

didn't read this but Take Care in Your Dreaming and We Go On are in a dead heat for SOTY rn

Digging: Brockhampton - Roadrunner: New Light, New Machine

ian b

1946 Comments

if i had to throw in my two cents, i'd say SILY is a 4.5-5, wildflower is a 3-3.5, and this is like a strong 3.5 light 4 for me at least right now

Digging: Meat Computer and KirbLaGoop - Goop Computer