Samia

by BlushfulHippocrene STAFF
December 10th, 2020 | 15 replies

Release Date: 08/28/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Baby's first track-by-track

Face value, The Baby is hard to sell. It’s an album that covers a lot of ground, though, in doing so, risks fragmenting its listeners’ interests. Opener ‘Pool’, for example—its ambient bumbling; its Arabic sample; its patient, slow-moving approach to songwriting—hints at a slowburner of an album (think late Bon Iver, but less textured). What’s built up on ‘Pool’, however, is upturned almost immediately on ‘Fit N Full’, an unabashed and, unlike its predecessor, hyper-confident satirization of self-image. A bop, in other words, or a pop song. It’s very good. There’s nudity, murderous birds, a guitar solo. ‘Big Wheel’ and ‘Limbo Bitch’ further cement Samia’s pop acumen, demonstrate her ability to craft peppy, heartfelt hooks.

Skip over, then, to ‘Stellate’, which marks the first of a trio of indie-folk songs. They’re all good, all memorable. ‘Does Not Heal’, the last of them, provides the most stark contrast to the rest of the album, Samia’s vocals adopting a very wavery, lilty, folky quality; it’s as good a demonstration of the songwriter’s range as any, appearing out of nowhere and disappearing into ‘Waverly’, a piano-driven indie-pop song. Thus ends The Baby’s folk phase.

‘Waverly’ sees Samia leaning into the indie aesthetic. Ironically, it’s the album’s (best and) most distinct song: its short, easy-going aesthetic makes it prime Spotify playlist material; its production, however, is immaculate. Guitars and pianos pop in and out of the foreground, buried beneath a warm hazy something; there are insect sounds, a strange warbling; bouncy bass patterns give way to rumbly subbass at the song’s backend… An interesting contrast to ‘Winnebago’, which is Caroline Polachek-lite, and ‘Minnesota’, a further attempt at some kind of folk-pop hybrid.

You get the point, though. Closer ‘Something in the Movies’ returns to the hyper-sincerity of ‘Pool’ and, despite being the song that introduced me to Samia, is something of a perfect closer. That is, it pretends the rest of the album didn’t happen. Nothing more apt for an album that covers so much disparate ground. An album that is, maybe, a hard sell; that is, perhaps, less convincing than would be a cohesive narrative, a less disjointed whole. Are good songs not enough?

Corbin MournGlowing No Fun
Adrianne Lenker songsLomelda Hannah
Rich People HarmonyEmily Keener I Do Not Have To Be Good

Feather
December 10th 2020

Neg'd! How dare you do a track-by-track!

Ryus
December 10th 2020

shes a friend of a friend, weird to see her getting this much buzz

Digging: Hyroglifics and Sinistarr - BS6

Romulus

fit n full is great

December 10th 2020

Track by track needs to make a comeback. They're easily the best types of reviews.

neekafat

20681 Comments

I needed to hear this already and this made it essential

dmathias52
December 11th 2020

I found this like two weeks ago and have been absolutely obsessed with it. Near perfect indie-pop. Fit n Full is constantly stuck in my head the closer is beauuuuuutiful. Everything in between is so good as well

BlushfulHippocrene
December 11th 2020

Yeah, she's really something. When I started writing the review, album was a 3; it's an easy 4 now. I think watching the MVs might've helped it grow a little bit, actually.

Digging: Moor Mother and Billy Woods - Brass

December 17th 2020

woah I need to get on this, sweet track by track

December 17th 2020

fit n full is so fun

BlushfulHippocrene
December 19th 2020

Yesss. So glad you liked Cormano. Great song.

NorthernSkylark
December 19th 2020

What did her mama give her?

Digging: Burial - Street Halo

December 19th 2020

"Yesss. So glad you liked Cormano. Great song."

it's been growing on me, whole thing is great, I think the only track I don't really dig to some extent is Minnesota, but man are the bookends fantastic, there's also a full band version of Movies that's also great, and a pretty fun remix of Stellate too

December 19th 2020

I've also been holding my tongue about this but her voice lowkey reminds of Adrienne Lenker at points

NorthernSkylark
December 19th 2020

Check fugazi. This is alright tho.

Snake.
December 28th 2020

man peggy hill really gave her daughter a godly voice