Unearth
The Oncoming Storm

by PrimordialSound USER (4 Reviews)
December 4th, 2020 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Quite possibly, the greatest metalcore band of all time.

Unearth's sophomore record comes along stronger than ever before to deliver a masterpiece that defines the traits on what it means to play metalcore. In 2004, it wasn't uncommon for many bands to play guitar patterns similar to At the Gates songs while adding in a fusion of breakdowns to really make a live crowd go wild (Hatebreed, Integrity, Earth Crisis, Suffocation). But, Unearth absolutely nailed the combination of two different styles of Heavy Metal very well. This band honestly plays some of the sickest hardcore riffs that will make just about any crowd go wild from the start. But, they also provide a great amount of musical skill that works really well in their favor. The band can truly play some incredibly on point metal shreds that never stop throughout the listening experience.

With the binding guitar layers from riff masters Ken Susi and Buzz McGrath who each share the spotlight to provide an incredible amount of shredding. The incredible shrieks and scowls from monster vocalist Trevor Phipps. The super deep basslines from John Maggard and finally the powerful drums coming from Mike Justian who tosses up an incredibly powerful snare throughout the listening experience. Unearth's lineup on this record is absolutely untouchable to say the least. There are a number of songs that really show off what Unearth can do in terms of being a thunderous breakdown band and a sick shred band. Black Hearts Now Reign features a very groovy rhythm section to get you moving and then a hard hitting breakdown just comes out of nowhere to show you no mercy. Then, a nice solo comes in to break the action out! Zombie Autopilot is all about the crazy fast musical shreds, the breakdown in this song is pretty minimal as the main solo comes in to take center stage in this song. This Lying World features a hard hitting diminish chord to flatten you out of nowhere and then the breakdown in the beginning takes center stage to demolish you into oblivion.

The Oncoming Storm is honestly an album that really takes center stage to show off what mid 2000s metalcore was all about. This album is all no frills and no filler at all. It is an amazing piece of work that has gone down as a classic for me. I honestly only just scratched the surface on this record, if you want to see a textbook example of how metalcore should be defined, then this is something you should check out.

Favorite Songs: This Lying World, Zombie Autopilot, Failure, Endless & Black Hearts Now Reign

Josh D.
December 4th 2020

I wouldn't even call them the best metalcore band of the 2000s new wave scene, let alone ever, but this album is high up the list anyway

heck

probs a top 3 album from this era of metalcore for me

Digging: Nothing - The Great Dismal

bigguytoo9
December 4th 2020

Saw these guys for this album and it was great.

advancedwarfighter

absolute classic

parksungjoon
December 4th 2020

>a fusion of breakdowns to really make a live crowd go wild (Hatebreed, Integrity, Earth Crisis, Suffocation)

one of these is not like the others

>Unearth absolutely nailed the fusion to a perfect teeth

not sure what this means? i assume you were going for something like "to a T"

>This album is all no thrills

is it all thrills? no frills?

>I honestly only just scratched the surface on this record

could do with more depth honestly. especially given its a well known album that many people have already written about. some fresh take or perspective

not gonna neg but yea could be better

Digging: Government - Shitshitshit [japanese death poem]

Titan

Saw these guys for this album and it was great. [2]

I also saw In The Eyes Of Fire and that one was one of the best 'small shows' I've ever seen.

sspedding
December 5th 2020

This however was delicious. The Great Dividers bangs

Scoot
December 5th 2020

20380 Comments

watchers of rule is better than this though

Digging: Growth (AUS) - The Smothering Arms Of Mercy

chewytapeworm
December 6th 2020

This album is tremendous. Endless slays.

December 6th 2020

This takes me back 15 years.

Digging: House of Harm - Vicious Pastimes

Dedes

This takes me back 2 years

To when I was young and starry eyed and full of an insatiable appetite for breakdowns

I question if I am yet satiated

Thalassic
December 6th 2020

No one will ever become satiated with breakdowns

Emim
December 8th 2020

You couldn't mention metalcore around these parts without Unearth getting brought up back in the day.