Cousin Silas
Variations On A Theme Of Winter

by MiguelAngel USER (8 Reviews)
November 21st, 2020 | 14 replies

Release Date: 11/16/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Don’t go expecting world wide domination, it ain’t gonna happen".- Cousin Silas.

David Hughes, born 7 May 1959, is an English musician and electronic music producer most notable for his ambient and drone music.
One of the most beautiful ambient releases I've had the pleasure of listening this year. The album title complements the music within perfectly: cold, sparse and delicate. I now just need my log fire.

There are many things that 'inspire' the music of Cousin Silas, but perhaps one of the most endearing is Winter. With this album, Silas reflects his deepest feelings and desires. Apart from the usual clichés of transformation, Silas takes the opportunity to show the memory from childhood with its association with Christmas.
If we look in the past for the exposition of the present date, we cannot settle for memorizing and repeating a holiday, as the Gentiles do. It is the duty of us Christians to interpret and analyze this date in such a way that we can answer the question of why the different events that marked our history occurred, as in this case is the Christmas and the resurrection of our God, Christ.

Christmas is a fact that really changed and marked the history of all mankind. For in this age the resurrection of my God, Christ, is celebrated and commemorated.
The message is clear: Christ came to this world to deliver his Gospel. Our belief is that, on the cross, the Father discharged his eternal Wrath on his Son to satisfy his eternal Justice. Righteousness and Wrath that you and i deserve to receive in eternal damnation. Then, when the Father punishes and kills his Son instead of the sinner, divine Justice against man is canceled and the Wrath of God on man is withdrawn.
In Conclusion, God sends to every man two conditions:
1) Repent of the Bad News, that is to recognize and forsake their sins and recognize their true evil nature...
2) Believe and Trust in the work of Justice done on the Cross, That is the Good News.

I guess all that sounds a little pretentious, but as I must say, I do have a rather abiding passion for Winter and for the sacrifice that my Lord and God chose to give on this season. Season that belongs to us, Christians, only, even if you do not like it, that´s the way it is. We are not going away. We are just getting started.

I feel that, with this album, i can really feel intimacy and rejoice at the same time. Specially with the track "The Slow Movement Of Winter Stars", which presents a beautiful organ without loosing that "dronie" vibe.
"Frozen Landscapes" allows the healing of all the wounds that this year inflicted upon us, and in case these wounds can't heal, "Village Church" comes in with some powerful hymns and choirs that will encourage a desolate heart to wrap it in a hug of warmth and tranquility.

Silas once said on an interview: "I often get an image, a place, or a location, usually remote or out of the way, and I try and convey that in the music. These images can be from memory, at work as I pass some place, a photo, or something on the tv or even in a book". And i am glad that he decided to give Christmas a chance.

Overall, i believe this is the best project of Cousin Silas, even if this community rejects everything associated with this amazing artist, i still believe that one day this community will give Silas the recognition that he deserves.