Mr. Criminal
Stay On The Streets

by Drifter USER (8 Reviews)
November 16th, 2020 | 20 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Mr. Criminal, real name Roberto Garcia, is a gangsta rapper hailing from Los Angeles, California known for his immense output of music over the years and his close affiliation with friend and frequent collaborator Mr. Capone-E. Stay On The Streets is an album split 3:1 between the two primary sounds within G-Funk: hardcore and smooth.

“Welcome To California” and “California Blows My Mind” represent the two different sides. The former exhibits the predominant hardcore side with Criminal speaking on the harsh gang life in Southern California he’s been involved in for years on top of a powerful instrumental comprised of a piercing synthesizer line, a frightening piano riff, an intense drum pattern, and a booming bass line with additional sound effects of hydraulics. The latter, however, is a total contrast displaying the smooth side with Criminal detailing why he has so much love and pride for the Golden State on top a feel-good instrumental constructed with a groovy synth lead, a light drum beat, and a bubbly bass line with additional beeping sound effects.

The rest of the album follows the template of these two styles. For every “Welcome To California,” you also have “I'm Lowriden',” “Hi Power Roll Call” and Layzie Bone collaboration “From The 216 To The 213” following a similar recipe and for every “California Blows My Mind” you also have “Nothin‘ Like Cali Rollin',” “Come And Ride With Me,” and Bizzy Bone collaboration “We Ride” doing the same.

Mr. Criminal’s flow is typically more quick-paced and aggressive such as on the Lil Cuete collaboration “My Definition Of A Rider” and the Spider Loc collaboration “Stop Bitchin’ but he also tones it down on songs such as “The Streets Miss You” and “Get Your Blaze On” with it always fitting into the mood of the particular track. His subject matter revolves around topics of immense California pride, struggles of the gang life, love, and loyalty and camaraderie in friendships, with common additional elements of Chicano lingo and Spanish words and phrases mixed in seamlessly with the predominant language of English.

Because of the previously stated similarities in tracks both musically and lyrically, the album can sometimes feel repetitive. It is superb for distributing into playlists, though, and still stands almost as strong as an album experience. Whether you enjoy your West Coast Hip Hop intense or laid-back, Stay On The Streets has plenty for you to enjoy.

Full Blooded Memorial DayBig Moe City of Syrup
Big Syke Be Yo' SelfDaz Dillinger Retaliation, Revenge and Get Back
Nosferatu D2 Older, Wiser, SadderR. Kelly Happy People/U Saved Me

November 16th 2020

Here’s a full album playlist for you to listen to this album on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLZuwpcR2dMZLxaGO_KlMu3bWbRKWV-a4

Here’s a Spotify link to the album: https://open.spotify.com/album/3m2RTkvIvmvGue1BkBe0Y6?si=vcNBZmPESTiYd86crkXRLA

Highlights include:
Welcome To California - https://youtu.be/5enDZ2mGqj0
Nothin’ Like Cali Rollin’ - https://youtu.be/AVzBS54uJvM
Criminal’s Gonna Ride Tonight - https://youtu.be/cjh-fcsRzlM
Criticism welcome

November 16th 2020

Good stuff, man. I'm pretty mind-blown that you reviewed Mr. Criminal, lol.

November 16th 2020

"Because of the previously stated similarities in tracks both musically and lyrically, the album can sometimes feel repetitive, but is superb for distributing into playlists as well as still being strong front to back"

I would break this out into two sentences. It gets pretty awkward at "as well as still being strong front to back." Overall, solid review mane I pos'd.

November 16th 2020

Yeah that was a part I knew was rough. Gonna edit now

“ I'm pretty mind-blown that you reviewed Mr. Criminal, lol.”

Lol why

TVC15

Pos keep it up dude

November 17th 2020

This is some hood Mexican shit, on a website predominantly comprised of young white dudes, lol. Mad props dude for shining a light on him.

I also do have another criticism. You're very descriptive, which goes a long way towards helping the reader understand what the album sounds like. But I'd personally like more analysis, as in what makes Mr. Criminal stand out from others part of this underground rap scene. What impact he's had on it too, perhaps. Personally, I tend to like reviews more when they're argumentative vs. just flat out descriptive. This is well-written either way, though.

November 17th 2020

great stuff drifty, pos. gonna check this album tomo AM

Digging: Madvillain - Madvillainy

November 17th 2020

Lol true half man. And thanks for the advice. Still working on getting better I’ll take that into account for the next review I do.

Thanks normal. Hope you dig it if you do check. Sure you’ll find something you enjoy from it.

November 17th 2020

I’m gonna review another/more Criminal in the future so I’ll make sure and do that when I do.

I SEE THESE OTHER BUSTAS SCOPIN AT THE STOPLIGHT HOPING I SLIP
I HOLD MY GLOCK TIGHT

NOW I AINT SAYIN THAT I WONT FIRE
BUT JUST DONT RUN UP ON MY LOWRIDER

November 18th 2020

finally getting around to a proper rinse. album goes hard. digging

November 18th 2020

I'm on a whole other level other level

*listens to first track*

"prolly a 3.5"

two more tracks later

NOPE

November 18th 2020

Hahaha yup. Glad you’re digging it

Sick ghost neg

WHEN WE RIDE, I'LL TELL YOU WHO I'M ROLLIN WITH

ALL DAY, ALL NIGHT, THAT'S RIGHT

WHEN WE RIDE, I TELL YOU WHO I'M ROLLIN WITH

WE RIDE, WE RIDE, WE RIDE

the "ahhh, ohh" sample bring tears to my eyes no cap

November 18th 2020

Such a feel-good song. His album Ryder Muzic is basically this album x2. Gotta review that one and listen to it more. Super solid double album

November 18th 2020

heck ya my bro lmk if/when you do