Causa Sui
Szabodelico

by Raul Stanciu STAFF
November 13th, 2020 | 29 replies

Release Date: 11/13/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Causa Sui bring back the jazzy psychedelic summer...

Causa Sui are one of the most musically gifted acts of the contemporary European psychedelic/stoner rock scene. Their multifaceted output has repeatedly proven how smooth can they shift from jazzy or krautrock-inspired jams to dreamy ditties or riff based epics without losing identity or charm. The Danish quartet spent the last decade blending their ideas into more focused journeys. 2013's Euporie Tide set the bar pretty high and the music just got tighter and heavier with Return to Sky & Vibraciones Doradas. All these albums are very consistent and diverse, especially within the genre’s context. Maintaining the same direction might have ultimately diluted the sonic experience, so the band opted for a different approach on their latest LP.

Szabodelico is another vibrant affair, oozing the same summer atmosphere most of Causa Sui’s records evoke. Referencing guitar virtuoso, Gábor Szabó, we are taken on a lush and entrancing experimental trip. Similar to the late master’s music, there’s an exotic flair blended into a trademark mix. There are shorter tracks this time, each aiming in different directions. You have the lovely twang playing alongside Latino beats on ‘Gabor’s Path’ or the laid back, Tarantino-esque surf groove on ‘Under the Spell’. Also, the playful ‘Vibratone’ boasts gorgeous guitar licks and excellent drum and bass rhythms. The latter’s interplay has always been one of the group’s biggest strengths due to their inventive and varied ideas. Meanwhile, on cuts such as ‘Laetitia’ or ‘Honeydew’ the guitar gorgeously melds with wandering flute and keyboard leads, respectively. The former’s ambient touch echoes Ozric Tentacles’ peaceful, subdued moments. As expected, the sun kissed themes continue to pour during the second half as well, where ‘Rosso Di Sera Bel Tempo Si Spera’ & ‘La Jolla’ represent the sonic equivalents to walks on the beach on a torrid day. These mellow, breezy jams find the band at its most comfortable yet. Moreover, ‘Merging Waters’ builds on deep bass lines, faint synthesizers and jazzy drumming, closing the record on a harmonious, high note.

Ultimately, Szabodelico features a return to the Summer Sessions mindset, however, the song structures are tighter and concise. The band have evolved significantly during their 15-year activity and gathered a wide range of influences to keep their music fresh and interesting. Favoring sonic layering over hard riffs this time around, Causa Sui crafted an LP that is both impressive and intriguing. Its warm atmosphere makes for a very relaxing listen, although the musicians play multiple intricate patterns.

s
Shores of Null Beyond the Shores (On Death and Dying)William Basinski Lamentations
The Flower Kings IslandsBLACKPINK The Album
The Flaming Lips American HeadTim Bowness Late Night Laments

insomniac15

Loving the new album.

Stream the album here - http://soundcloud.com/elparaiso/sets/causa-sui-szabodelico

Digging: Green Druid - At the Maw of Ruin

nightbringer
November 13th 2020

Oh sweet, this sounds very interesting. Will be checking.

nightbringer
November 13th 2020

Listening now and liking what I'm hearing.

Deathconscious
November 13th 2020

I fucking love this band, need to hear.

Digging: Causa Sui - Szabodelico

November 13th 2020

Yeah excited to hear this

Digging: Methadone Skies - Enter the Void (2020)

November 13th 2020

Gabor's Path already hits the spot

AsleepInTheBack
November 13th 2020

yaaas, had no idea they were putting something out this year. will cheque.

BenThatsMyJamin
November 13th 2020

Honestly, probably my favourite active band in the world based on the music they're currently releasing.

Whilst I prefer their jammier, more meandering cuts and the track lengths here caught me off guard slightly, i'm looking forward to hearing how they can condense that sound into shorter songs. They were able to do it almost perfectly on Cinecitta. Any Summer Sessions comparisons are obviously a massive compliment, and I hope they're deserved. Singles were solid - I can see myself loving La Jolla over time.

Thanks for the review Raul!

insomniac15
November 13th 2020

The tunes are a more condensed Summer Sessions type thing IMO. The whole album flows really nicely tbh, doesn't really matter there are multiple tracks.

Voivod
November 13th 2020

I feel totally ashamed for not listening to this band, since I'm especially fond of Denmark's musical (psychedelic rock/black metal) delivery.

Need to change that.

Edit:

Alternate stream:

Digging: Terrorpy - Stuffing Puke Into The Sockets

normaloctagon
November 13th 2020

oh hey cool! thanks for reviewing this

edit: this is really really lovely. been too long since I listened to these guys. gets a 4 from me now, probably going to bump up as I continue to listen

Digging: King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - Float Along. Fill Your Lungs

November 13th 2020

The last three minutes of the title track go hard man. Good review btw

MotokoKusanagi
November 13th 2020

love the summer and pewtr stuff by these guys, definitely need to hear this

ChaoticVortex
November 13th 2020

God bless you Raul for keeping up with the stoner/psych rock scene. Love these guys, and hearing that they returned to the jazzy sound warms my heart.

porcupinetheater
November 13th 2020

Hell yeah, can't wait to hear this

BenThatsMyJamin
November 13th 2020

Band has the coolest song+album names

OSEL

yes good good

zaruyache
November 14th 2020

oh nice i didn't know this was coming out so soon

Dewinged

It's a jam and a half

Digging: King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - K.G.

normaloctagon
November 14th 2020

pretty much. set the tone for my day on friday and it was a good day. so glad it got featured else I might have missed it and had a just okay day