Os Mutantes

by Zig USER (9 Reviews)
October 7th, 2020 | 16 replies

Release Date: 1970 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Mutantes reach their creative peak

After the band's involvement in the Tropicália movement, Arnaldo Baptista, Sérgio Dias and Rita Lee decided to abandon the more Brazilian elements present in the two previous albums, “Os Mutantes” in 1968 and “Mutantes” in 1969, and move on to pure psychedelic rock. The truth is that this change has only brought good things. The influences of Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin are more evident than ever, experimentalism gains new ground, and Rita Lee unleashes her wild voice.

Launched in 1970, “A Divina Comédia ou Ando Meio Desligado” is not only a milestone in the group's career, but also in Brazilian music. On side A, the blues and soul take the reins, with a greater involvement of the electric organ. Opening with "Ando Meio Desligado", a contagiously soft psychedelic music with expertly timed flourishes of the piano and the courteous voice of Rita Lee, who assumes the vocal functions in most of the album.

Another element very present in this album is humor, and "Quem Tem Medo de Brincar de Amo" is one of several examples. In addition to the incredible energy and irresistible rhythm, the song is in fact a parody with Rita Lee singing in Portuguese with an American accent. Without forgetting, of course, one of the best tracks, "Meu Refrigerador Não Funciona", which opens with a kind of tribute to Janis Joplin, and then moves on to a scene of frustration and melancholy in the face of the serious problem mentioned.

When passed to side B, we find a more progressive and doo-wop sound. The band gloriously demonstrates this with "Hey Boy", a really fascinating song, with a mini guitar solo, featuring strong distortion. The effects on the voices grow and the music ends with a car accident. Like most songs, "Preciso Urgentemente Encontrar um Amigo", by Roberto Carlos and Erasmo Carlos, presents a deceptively simple interaction between the organ and the guitars.

Still to mention, "Chão de Estrelas" perfectly incorporates Arnaldo Baptista's acoustic sound and circus music, with the instrumental track that closes the disc, "Oh! Mulher Infiel" starts with a tribal drums and screams before the entrance of the heavily distorted electric guitar and organ, which still goes through a section with a honky tonk-style piano. Such an innovative song that, honestly, has not been recreated for decades.

In short, “A Divina Comédia Ou Ando Meio Desligado” is a very successful cannibal mix of a series of genres too large to measure, but always framed in an atmosphere of humor and experimentalism. The range of songs shows an amazing variety of styles expressed with the sincerity that only a group like Os Mutantes can offer. In October 2007, the album was listed by Rolling Stone Brazil in 22nd place in the list of the 100 best records of Brazilian music.

Anna von Hausswolff All Thoughts FlyVarious Artists (Tropicalia) Tropicália ou Panis et Circencis
Novos Baianos Acabou ChorareChick Corea Now He Sings, Now He Sobs
Curtis Mayfield SuperflyEnnio Morricone The Thing
4.3

Os Mutantes

Zig

Reviewless masterpiece #5

Here you have it, Dewinged ;)

YOU THE MAN!!

LOVE this review, Zig, much appreciated!

" the song is in fact a parody with Rita Lee singing in Portuguese with an American accent"

See? I would have never caught this!

Digging: Typhoon (USA-OR) - Sympathetic Magic

e210013
October 7th 2020

Good work, amigo. This is one of the bands that needs some more love. This is even more true with bands that use their native language instead of the English. Pos.

SandwichBubble
October 7th 2020

Hell yeah, Zig always reviewing the good stuff.

Man, that album art is crusty, lemme just fix that.

DadKungFu
October 7th 2020

I've asked a few people from Brazil about this and not a single one has heard of it. Great album, great band tho

I still need to hear this since I love their first 2

Digging: Melt-Banana - Cell-Scape

ReturnToRock
October 7th 2020

Do the Secos & Molhados album next!

October 8th 2020

Rita Lee is so good on this. I later checked her solo stuff too and it's also pretty good.

First track off this is one of my favorite songs of 1970.

jamming rn

Digging: Portrayal of Guilt - We Are Always Alone

daaaaamn

My man!

70 eh? ufff

honestly I think only those cartoon/clown samples were a bit too much...but if you consider it, everything here is too much for its own good.

November 20th 2020

Lol yeah, they are ridiculous, but I don't know they kinda fit.

The first half is godly.

indeed amigo!