Lomelda

by BlushfulHippocrene STAFF
September 21st, 2020 | 16 replies

Release Date: 09/04/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It’s Frank, it’s Frankie, it’s Francis

‘It’s Lomelda’ reads like a list of influences: “It’s Low / It’s Yo / La Tengo / It’s The Innocence / Mission”. It’s a list that could go on. (It’s Hop Along. It’s Girlpool. It’s Alex G.) ‘It’s Lomelda’ is, though, a powerful assertion of self.

So, too, is Hannah.

At the album’s centre is a question: “Who are you?” At its core (preceding it even) is an answer: “Hannah.” It’s a clear, simple solution to a big, complex problem. What it belies, though, is an album that is, in spite of its doubtfulness, formally adventurous.

Even at its least certain, like on the piano-driven ‘Stranger Sat by Me’, there is an openness, a searching. A single, minute-long verse flows abruptly into a beautifully-paced, exquisitely-produced sonic excursion that is chock-full of chunky piano, warbly synths, and crackly drums.

More often, Lomelda’s songs are like sketches or vignettes, stitched and seamed by the hands of Read and her brother Tommy: by virtue of her incredibly consistent, indie-folk songwriting, and his knack for subtle, but intentional production techniques.

Despite its searching, Hannah exudes a qualified, though not-at-all-false confidence. This is for all the album’s questioning. The question becomes one of what constitutes the one-word, two-syllable denomination. The answer is, at least in part, the album itself. Its lyrics, its notes, its influences. A rich, constitutive solution to a question well worth asking.

Adrianne Lenker songsRich People Harmony
Emily Keener I Do Not Have To Be GoodThe Smith Street Band Don't Waste Your Anger
clipping. There Existed an Addiction to BloodFoxhall Shoreside

M For Empathy

September 21st 2020

Just a quick lil review for a very pretty album. Can listen here: https://lomelda.bandcamp.com/album/hannah Thx!

Cormano
September 21st 2020

did she finally stop trying to channel Frankie Cosmos bc last album felt so insipid for that main reason

September 21st 2020

Didn't mind last album. But I much prefer this, sounds less indie and more folk to me.

Edit: Actually, i'm thinking of Thx, I'm not too sure. Hope you dig if you listen but.

Cormano
September 21st 2020

oh I will check for sure, even more so now that I've read your take on it
always enjoyed her stuff up until the last one but she is a good songwriter nonetheless

JesperL
September 21st 2020

i love how lomelda seems to bring out some of the shortest and best reviews, definitely checking this later today!

Digging: clipping. - There Existed an Addiction to Blood

widowslaugh123
September 21st 2020

Weird ass review. Like I have no idea about anything ever. So, cool.

notkanyewest
September 21st 2020

Was really getting into this over the past week and was thinking about writing about it myself but good job. I came to it with a lot of skepticism because I usually end up finding about 75% of Double Double Whammy stuff sort of insufferable but the strength of the songwriting here blew me away

September 21st 2020

"Like I have no idea about anything ever. So, cool."

Whadya mean? Will try to improve.

Slex

Great album

Digging: Gulfer - Gulfer

widowslaugh123
September 21st 2020

Ah I was still kinda drunk when I first read it. POS.

anatelier
September 22nd 2020

Man Big Thief are just making too many albums

Digging: Girlhood - Girlhood

notkanyewest
September 23rd 2020

"Hannah sun" def has some "Big Thief if they had all gone to SUNY-Purchase instead of Berklee" vibes

...incredible description.

September 23rd 2020

In fact, please do review this if you get the time, I like your writing a lot.

Storm In A Teacup
September 24th 2020

I love reviews like this; it's my main mission to become adept at this style, or one akin to it.

Digging: Envy - The Fallen Crimson