6ix9ine
TattleTales

1.0
awful

by resident shit music stan USER (56 Reviews)
September 4th, 2020 | 36 replies

Release Date: 09/04/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: i'm duh baaad guy

The 6ix9ine story is one hell of a trip. The man's laundry list of legal issues are all but a secret at this point, and even his old gang-mates have turned their backs and ran far away from him because of his prison sentence (which also caused him to nearly fade away completely from any relevance at all) and cooperation with authorities. Taking the past three years of Tekashi's life into account, it's only natural that something like TattleTales would manifest itself from the Dahvie Vanity of the SoundCloud rap bandwagon—and it's a wild ride for virtually all the wrong reasons.

While many would be understandably be content to write 6ix9ine off as a meme and nothing more, the sad truth is that the man is completely genuine—especially here. That actually ends up being a major problem for TattleTales; he's so invested in trying to maintain his whole tough guy act despite the public knowledge that he is indeed a coward. Additionally, there is a staggering lack of any flow or cohesion anywhere; he rambles on without any aim or any effort, almost as if he's half-assing it all. The guest features are phoned in too; Akon drops in on the title track and does his damdest to ensure that you forget he was there in the first place, and Nicki Minaj sounds like she'd rather be absolutely anywhere else. And with 6ix9ine's desperation to act like he's still hot stuff set to full throttle, the writing on this album is completely devoid of anything narmy that caused guilty pleasures to arise from past songs like "Gummo" ("Gooba" being the sole exception); he tries to introspect, atone, the whole drill on exactly one song (opener "Locked Up 2"); leading said opener lyrics to resemble a scene kid's disturbing mutation into half scene kid, middle school rap fanboy stereotype:

Havin' dreams about livin' my life
I've been havin' dreams about bein' outside
I've been, little baby girl, please don't cry, no
Please don't, no, no
No, no, no, no (No)

-"Locked Up 2"

Once he's done feigning regret, he dips right back into his tough guy attitude, dissing his ex-associates and haters as well as giving us poetry such as "Don't talk to me, I'll talk to you / If it's f**k me, then it's f**k you / Yeah, it's middle finger, f**k you" and "Your bestie is a d**k sucker, I big dub her / As-salama-lama alaykum, you big hater / You nothin' but a hater, hater, clout chaser". The reader might ponder, but he delivers these with a critical lack of irony.

The instrumentals are arguably the least disturbing part of this album—generic trap beats without any substance are still the order of the day, and they're all over TattleTales; combined with the generic trap beats, the production and mastering of the album is still standard, overcompressed modern-day fare. When it comes down to it, there's nothing really positive that can be said about TattleTales. It may be a quaint curiosity considering the insanity that rap game Dahvie has been through, but in order to successfully listen to the entire album you have to be some sort of masochist. In short, it's a soon-to-start-dying career's last roar before plummeting towards the bottom of the "forgotten crap" barrel with the likes of Silento and iLoveMemphis—and it's for the best to let this roar fall on deaf ears.

The Bunny The Bear AfterglowMachine Gun Kelly Tickets to My Downfall
Ava Max Heaven and HellBuckcherry Black Butterfly
The Kid Laroi Fuck LoveFrom Ashes To New Panic
1.7
very poor

Valzentia

Album stream: https://open.spotify.com/album/6dQ5jKDz664ctPbDDSF7Ua

i bit the bullet and dove into this horseshit and it is a decision i very much regret. constructive criticism appreciated.

Digging: The Bunny The Bear - Afterglow

Supercoolguy64
September 4th 2020

wait this dude is still alive

Digging: The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow

Valzentia
September 4th 2020

to my amazement, yes he is. I genuinely thought he would have been shot by a gang or something by now.

Supercoolguy64
September 4th 2020

the amount of pride he has in being a snitch is what shocks me the most, like dude has zero shame in selling out the guys who made him just about

HalfManHalfAmazing
September 4th 2020

Sounds like absolute trash. What a surprise.

Digging: Chameleon - Links

BlitzPhoenix98

Spoilers: It's trash

BlitzPhoenix98
September 4th 2020

Great review, BTW. Wish he stayed in prison but oh well. Also comparing himself to 2Pac is LMAO

Th1nker
September 4th 2020

Music for under 10s. I give him 12 months max before someone ends him for good.

Colton
September 4th 2020

This guy sucks but he’s better than a lot of modern artists honestly. I’d rather listen to this than the new Eminem, Katy Perry, Dance Gavin Dance or Green Day

StickFeit
September 4th 2020

Welp. Not gonna bother with this shite.

Ryus

20727 Comments

gotta agree w colton tbh

Digging: Oneohtrix Point Never - Magic Oneohtrix Point Never

Sinternet
September 4th 2020

i mean def over the green day or eminem

good review but i wish you would review stuff that wasn't just the lowest common denominator, i might not share much taste with you but whenever there's a controversial release out i nearly always see you do a review of it, i don't see how this ties into your tastes really

Digging: Holy Fawn - Death Spells

CaliggyJack
September 4th 2020

Lmao this pedo still making music

Here I am

Rocking like a hurricane

Digging: Envy - The Fallen Crimson

IM LOCKED UP THEY WONT LET ME OUT

My momma

Hopelust
September 4th 2020

"As-salama-lama alaykum, you big hater"

Sorry, WHAT?

September 4th 2020

He threw the extra lama in there just for you babe. When he talks you listen just like he said you better do.

veninblazer

jesus stop torturing yourself

Digging: Deftones - Ohms

parksungjoon
September 5th 2020

why did u change ur name ree

Digging: Have Mercy (MD) - Armageddon Descends