Alanis Morissette
Such Pretty Forks in the Road

by neekafat CONTRIBUTOR (68 Reviews)
August 15th, 2020 | 52 replies

Release Date: 07/31/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Alanis Morissette in 2020

Fittingly for an album released after an eight-year break, Such Pretty Forks in the Road frets over purpose. Alanis Morissette is much more subdued in this quest than on her 90s heavyweights Jagged Little Pill and Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie. It focuses on vibrant rock ballads, weaving orchestral bridges with a flamboyant trick or two from recent Broadway experiences. Sometimes this combination falls flat, especially in the second act of the record, but it’s consistently engaging overall. Despite its sonic scope, it plays more like a catch-up with an old friend than a rambunctious statement against the world.

Forever a lyrical giant, Alanis Morissette’s words here consistently reference missions or goals, perhaps the most explicitly on “Losing the Plot.” Here, she depicts herself giving up her stardom—“I am grieving the end of superwomaning / I have laid down my cape.” She isn’t shy about the reason for this: by the second track “Ablaze,” she makes her point clear in a cry to her children, “My mission is to keep the light in your eyes ablaze.” Perhaps there could’ve been a more convincing narrative to this record if it were framed as something less obvious—a growing lack of interest in stardom giving way to lost purpose, ending in that joyous realization. But it’s likely this simply wasn’t her experience, and rearranging her life to fit a strict narrative would mar the authenticity the album thrives on.

If the music were any more oblique, it would harm that same authenticity. As stunning as Alanis's more experimental work on Junkie was, it was formed in the shadows of uncertainty. Her early albums were often about a lack of purpose. This album is quite the opposite of those—sonically straightforward as she positions herself as someone aware of who she is and what she’s trying to say.

The most captivating aspect of the record is that complete absence of regret. Alanis is not trying to make excuses for her new drive. She isn’t apologizing for a lack of output. She isn’t making a vain attempt to claw back to her height of pop relevancy. This is Alanis Morissette in 2020. She’s less angry, and perhaps a bit more hopeful. While things may be hard at times, her life has new focus in family. And she sounds just as stunning.

PVRIS Use MeThe Chicks Gaslighter
HAIM Women In Music, Pt. IIIJaunt All In One
Julia Holter Have You In My WildernessMelkbelly Pith
3.3

August 15th 2020

20346 Comments

I procrastinated too much but I couldn't let this gem go without a review

Thx to Johnny for feedback!

Jots

sup sup

edit: yeah looks good now

20346 Comments

oh shit the point was a lot clearer in my original write-up but now that I've rearranged things it's less so, lemme edit to clarify

20346 Comments

Okay touched it up a tad, thanks for the feedback!

Scoot

20145 Comments

citizen of the planet is still a jam, heaviest song she ever made

this is good

Digging: Cloudkicker - Solitude

Slex

Hmmmmm

Digging: Deftones - Ohms

20346 Comments

I still haven't checked all her back catalogue, need to do that asapp

parksungjoon

x in current year

Digging: Jumpin' Jesus - The Art of Crucifying

JohnnyoftheWell

Alanis Morissette in Y

Digging: Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist

Larkinhill
August 16th 2020

She still makes albums? Huh. Who cares? Still a solid review though neek.

20346 Comments

I was doing a microphones pun jesus

Thanks Larkin!

Pheromone

microphones in alanis morissette

Digging: The Growlers - Hung at Heart

SitarHero
August 16th 2020

"This is Alanis Morissette in 2020. She’s less angry, and perhaps a bit more hopeful."

Sounds like this was probably Alanis in 2019.

TronaldDump
August 16th 2020

she's really channeling her inner-Honey Harper with this cover art

Lord(e)Po)))ts
August 16th 2020

Knew this was gonna be a neek review

Digging: Botany - End the Summertime F(or)ever

mvdu
August 16th 2020

I like it. Not quite as much as you, but I feel the lyrics are often powerful and the arrangements make for an intimate setting. When she goes for more guitar oriented, it actually doesn’t work as well.

20346 Comments

I agree actually! "Nemesis" is probably my favorite from this though

Odal
August 17th 2020

Man, I actually found this to be really boring. The music itself is extremely tame and relies too much on her (obviously) wonderful voice. Nemesis and Smile are cool, but the rest just left me underwhelmed

20346 Comments

Those two are among the best, so I get you. If you liked those be sure to check SFIJ

hxciluvatarhxc
August 17th 2020

a lot better than havoc and bright lights, glad to see alanis still doing things