Lights
Skin And Earth Acoustic

by Get Low USER (32 Reviews)
August 2nd, 2020 | 16 replies

Release Date: 06/01/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Lights brings innovation to the art of the acoustic album

The acoustic version of Lights' fourth album Skin&Earth contains renditions of seven of the fourteen tracks from the original album, plus three new songs which are also acoustic. Instead of going to the studio to record the remakes, Lights recorded a different one of these seven songs in seven different locations. I'm assuming that most people who read this review will already be familiar with the origins of Skin&Earth, but for those who may not know, the lyrics to the album coincide with a comic book series of the same name written and illustrated by Lights. The locations that Lights chose to record each song are loosely based off of either the locations implied by the lyrics, or actual places in the comic book where Enaia (the protagonist of Skin&Earth) is located during that part of the story. This gives Skin&Earth Acoustic a nice sense of variety that I feel is often lacking in most other acoustic albums.

Each song, including the three originals, consists strictly of guitar, some occasional light synths, and Lights' vocals. The production, which was done by Lights herself, is crystal clear. There are some instances, such as in the rain and river recordings, where the setting of the song is audibly evident; but even when it isn't, the difference in acoustics (the general acoustics, not the guitar itself) still capture the aesthetic of each individual location. Even though the original songs are often upbeat and mainly electronic, they translate smoothly into slower, string-based tunes. This is helped by Lights' moody but passionate singing, which is turned down an octave from the originals to accompany the tone of the guitar. The three new songs fit perfectly with the others in both lyrical themes and songwriting. Although these tracks weren't recorded in a disclosed location (probably just Lights' house), they don't feel like outliers in any way other than being new.

Skin&Earth Acoustic brings a breath of fresh air to the art of the acoustic album, which I feel that other musicians should take note of. People don't usually listen to the acoustic version of an album that they haven't heard the original of, so this makes me want to recommend Skin&Earth just so others can have the further experience of listening to the acoustic version afterward. I don't want to say that I think the acoustic version is better, because the original, along with the first arc of the comic series it accompanies, is very fun and charming. However, Lights has crafted an atmospheric (in a very literal sense) experience that is very distinct and impressive, and that feels like so much more than just a new version of an old album.

Slaughter To Prevail Chapters Of MiseryEyes Set to Kill Masks
Senses Fail From The Depths Of Dreams (2019)3LW 3LW
Myrkgrav Trollskau, Skromt og Kolabrenningi_o and Lights AM 444

@TundraL5Z

August 2nd 2020

Glad someone else wrote a review of this cause I quit reviewing lol

Digging: Alustrium - Insurmountable

tinathefatlard

August 2nd 2020

"Glad someone else wrote a review of this cause I quit reviewing lol"

Boo. Why'd you quit?

"Discovered The Listening from Spotify’s Petals For Armor radio and have been hooked since."

I've been hooked since The Listening as well, over a decade ago now.

SteakByrnes
August 2nd 2020

Nice review brother, I still haven't even checked the og release of this album lol.

Been a Lights fan since There Is A Hell dropped, I think the first song of hers that I checked was Second Go

Digging: Coletta - Idealism

August 2nd 2020

Thanks broski. The og album rules. Check that shit.

"Boo. Why'd you quit?"

it is obvious, no one cares about or appreciates my reviews period, always neg bombed, always joked on, always slandered, I'm simply done with it, not a hard decision at all.

August 2nd 2020

Sorry to hear that, and sorry for contributing to that to some degree. I liked most of your reviews that I read.

Cormano
August 3rd 2020

always loved her acoustic renditions and stuff, last album did nothing for me but this has me interested, I didn't even know it existed

August 3rd 2020

I'd still check this even if you didn't like Skin&Earth, especially if you liked her other acoustic albums.

Lord(e)Po)))ts
August 3rd 2020

Digging: Godfather Don - Beats, Bangers and Biscuits...

mvdu
August 3rd 2020

Good review. I have the regular album and think it is great, if not quite to the level of The Listening. Will check out the acoustic version.

August 3rd 2020

Yeah this is just barely under The Listening for me.

August 3rd 2020

"tbf the one and only review of yours i ever read was extremely bad. it's not as though you were just being trolled. you had a lot of work to do and if you were unwilling to do it then this decision was prob for the best."

Lol fuck off mate, neg all my reviews then you arse hole

Ryus

lol never seen someone whine so much about having a 74% approval rating

Digging: Omar S - You Want

August 3rd 2020

ok relax, I didn't mean this to be a big debate...