Black Veil Brides
Re-Stitch These Wounds

by TheCalebRobinson USER (23 Reviews)
August 1st, 2020 | 15 replies

Release Date: 07/31/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The debut album from one of the last decade's most polarizing rock bands gets a new coat of paint.

Let me save you some time right away: if you're somebody who hated Black Veil Brides when they were first formed back in 2009, whether it be for their songwriting style, aesthetic look of the band themselves, their dedicated and vocal fan base, or front man Andy Biersack's rather unique singing voice, then this modern re-master of their controversial 2010 debut, 'We Stitch These Wounds' is not going to make a fan out of you. However, if you viewed Black Veil Brides as a misguided new band with potential for greater heights than what they were achieving, then 'Re-Stitch These Wounds' may be exactly what you didn't know you needed.

Right away you'll notice that BVB made very little changes to the compositional makeup of the songs themselves. The spoken word opener 'The Outcasts (Reborn)' has a much more dramatic instrumentation than the original, and that's one of the more noticeable changes. Another thing you're likely to notice right away is the updated, modern feel to the production, which can both be a blessing and a curse. One of the best things about the new production is how improved Biersack sounds, with both clean vocals and screamed ones. In 2010, Biersack's screams were so heavily altered in production that you'd be lucky to even understand his lyrics. Thankfully, this is a problem that has mostly been remedied these years later. Where the production starts the falter is in the instrumentation, particularly the drumming, which has a tendency to overpower the guitars during solos.

One of the smartest decisions BVB could've made was to scrap the abysmally out of place song, 'The Mortician's Daughter,' and that's exactly what they have done. The song still exists in essence, but it's been rewritten to be purely instrumental and to serve more as a mid-album interlude than an actual song itself. Again, this decision cannot be praised enough. Though one could still debate over the necessity of this new version as well, there's no debate over which version flows well with the remainder of the album.

If you were a fan of Black Veil Brides ten years ago and you've since fallen disillusioned with the band in the years that followed, then I urge you to give this a try. As is the case with remasters of any medium though, this isn't likely to garner the band any new fans. Though for anybody giving this band a try for the first time, there's no doubt that 'Re-Stitch These Wounds' is the definitive way to experience their debut.

Paramore After LaughterSleeping With Sirens How It Feels to Be Lost
Motionless in White Graveyard ShiftMotionless in White Reincarnate
Of Mice And Men Cold WorldBring Me the Horizon That's the Spirit
good

August 1st 2020

Trying to get back on the regular review-writing bandwagon, so I'm definitely rusty. Pleasantly surprised though when it comes to the album! Didn't have very high hopes.

JonWedge91
August 1st 2020

I’m a weirdo who actually enjoys the first album (it’s the only album they’ve made I like, though the second one is okay too), I felt like this re-recording was a pointless missed opportunity. The drums, which were too quiet on the original, are mixed far too loud on here. Furthermore, it’s insane that after a decade, Biersak couldn’t have turned in a better vocal performance.

Beardog
August 1st 2020

The production here is superbad with the overprocessed drums, which is such a shame because the bass and vocals sound pretty good (with some awkward production choices). They could've improved this record so much but they've almost made it even worse...

August 1st 2020

Yeah, I can understand how the overbearing drums can be a deal breaker. I'll be interested to spin this in the upcoming weeks to see if they start to wear on me overtime.

JeremiahBullfrog

Fucking yes

I think I like this SIGHTLY more than the original but for me it comes down to better drums (regardless of the production) vs amateur charm, however I honestly do think Andy Peaked with his vocals on wretched and divine and haven’t been quite as good since despite being my favourite vocalist ever

Digging: Black Veil Brides - Re-Stitch These Wounds

SymbolicInTime
August 1st 2020

Only heard the singles they released but man they just 100% butchered the drums, i couldn't tolerate it

Digging: Death - Spiritual Healing

Cormano

2050 Comments

Parents yell at me
Parents tell me what to do 24/7
Parents degrade my music
Parents tell me how to dress
Parents put me down
Parents ask me why I'm always in my room with headphones on
I'M LIVING A LIIIIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFEEEEEE OF MISSERY!!!!!

SteakByrnes

19928 Comments

I jammed Knives and Pens and Perfect Weapon and while the guitar sounds a lot better yea the drums are ass. Even the screams are way too quiet in the mix and sound shit, and man his voice on the chorus to Knives and Pens was pretty wack lol

Time to go back to not thinking about this band

Digging: Lost For Life - We All Share The Blame

August 1st 2020

love this album but this new production kinda kills the mood in alot of places

WeepinnWillow

The vocal mixing on Perfect Weapon is so fucking bad

Digging: Puffy - Bring It!

August 1st 2020

yeah that opening scream has to be the limpest dick shit i've ever heard

zaruyache

aaaaaaaaaaaah

*in flames riff*

August 2nd 2020

Carolyn is actually really good

August 2nd 2020

I agree, Carolyn is easily a highlight.

THISISMYWAR