Susumu Yokota
Symbol

by Josh D. USER (11 Reviews)
July 28th, 2020 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Experiments with then and now

For what's typically labeled an electronic album, from an electronic musician, the first thing you'll notice with Symbol is an ambient nature. The sub-three minute opener invites you with a lot of airiness, some peculiar percussive sounds, and swooning strings. It's a nice introduction. And then you're met with Debussy's "Clair de Lune".

With Symbol, Susumu Yokota spends forty-five minutes weaving classical music with his more avant-garde electronica styling. At its core, the album is exercise in repetition in the electronica and healthy doses of classical samples. "Traveler in the Wonderland" begins with a moment of a Boccherini minuet following straight into the famed oboe solo from Camille Saint-Saens' "Bacchanale". It's one of the more arresting tracks with the percussive nature of stringed instruments, reverberating chanting, and dazzling piano samples.

At its worst, some of the songs can be challenging. "Capriccio and the Innovative Composer" is a dizzying marriage of sounds, short but unrelenting. The aggressive strings from Schubert's "I. Allegro" seem to clash indecisively against the waltzing piano underneath it. With more Saint-Saens, Debussy, and Tchaikovsky on either side of the track, it's a minor sag.

Some of the album's explorations are reminiscent of works of Steve Reich, including but not limited to the sampling of the composer. "Blue Sky and Yellow Sunflower" begins with "Six Marimbas" dancing atop lush strings, preceding an orchestration of synth and delay-rich vocal and electronic sounds. Much of the album is structured in such a way, looping mallet percussion or some atypical rhythm maker holding steady while a familiar composition is woven in. The song ends suddenly, reminding the listener that the out of phase marimbas were playing the whole time.

Yokota also makes excellent use of Meredith Monk for vocal additions, notable in "Song of the Sleeping Forest" for their mellow nature, blending in instead of taking a frontwoman approach. Most of Yokota's meshing like this is done tastefully, curated into cohesiveness across its runtime.

Made in 2005, Symbol still feels fresh. Perhaps it was a daring undertaking that was ahead of its time, like a different kind of Endtroducing, but with a Japanese electronica musician employing revered classical composers for his sampling inspiration. Susumu Yokota passed away in 2015, but he left us with a one-of-a-kind album while we had him.

Planning for Burial Below the HouseMuscle and Marrow Love
Mohican Honest RedPhineas Newborn, Jr. A World of Piano!
The Dreaded Diamond Healthy FearsDavid Axelrod Songs of Experience

hel9000
July 28th 2020

awesome to see a review for this! really nice job. i love this album, i could listen to Song of the Sleeping Forest all day.

July 28th 2020

!!! generally really glad to see this get a review, but I certainly didn't expect to see someone as familiar as you with the classical canon covering it so smartly on Sput. Perfect job, hard pos

Digging: ZOMBIE-CHANG - TAKE ME AWAY FROM TOKYO

July 28th 2020

I’ve never heard anything like it, so I felt compelled to try to explain it. Maybe it's the Lexapro.

The first time I listened, I heard the “Bacchanale” oboe and was like “alright, what’s going on here”.

Bedex
July 28th 2020

This really sounds like something I need to check

Nice rev too pos'd

Digging: Gorod - Neurotripsicks

July 29th 2020

you'd better check it then woah

July 31st 2020

I expect a report on my desk by EOB, bedex

Bedex
July 31st 2020

joke's on you I don't live by business days :[

August 29th 2020

Bedex ur assignment is late

August 29th 2020

He simply did what I do too often: make a point of listening to something and then forgetting for a long time.

September 12th 2020

listening to this today, hearing things I hadn't noticed before