Havukruunu
Uinuos Syömein Sota

by Grumpy USER (21 Reviews)
July 23rd, 2020 | 54 replies

Release Date: 07/17/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Havukruunu's most ambitious and most epic output yet. A massive riff-fest.

The Finnish band Havukruunu is one of a kind, and I dare say one of the most exciting bands with black metal roots from that region nowadays. They were well-known for their riff-centered style and they released consistently good albums from the very beginning. In Uinuos Syömein Sota they managed to level themselves up, blending more and exciting styles into their sound resulting an epic journey with near infinite replay-value.

Bringing together and combining various influences is not an easy thing, but Havukruunu masterfully executed building up their sound. In the simplest terms, Uinuos Syömein Sota is an adventurous, super fast folkish / viking black metal album. However it has a very power metal-ish side as well, which brings a certain "epic" feeling to the overall picture - for example after the first minute in "Pohjolan Tytär" the riffs and soloing show high resemblance to power metal in general, but what you can hear is something else, and that's where the magic is: creating something unique.

It is important to mention that Uinuos Syömein Sota is the band's most folkish album yet, and personally I do believe it is part of the album's success. Most interestingly, this folkish approach could bring certain variety into the whole thing, since at some point it generates those special viking-era Bathory vibes (the opening part in "Kuin Öinen Meri" for example), but in the other times I sensed some really Bergtatt-ish vibes - especially hearing the clean choruses in "Vähiin Päivät Käy" (which is one of the best metal songs of the year, in my humble opinion).

Productionwise, thanks to the great mixing the album has a pleasant sound where the guitars rule over everything - rightfully so, since the guitar work is phenomenal, easily the album's most memorable aspect. Nicely flowing melodies, galopping rhythm leads, fast shredding solos... yeah, I was sold instantly. I'd also highlight the vocals, because I found them exceptionally exciting, which is angry and powerful just as needed, but at other times if the clean choruses step into the spotlight it creates a very epic feeling, which results epic viking battle hymns. Looking at the album cover art, I could imagine it as a theme-music for an epic fantasy duel between two kings~

Cathartic, gripping and adventurous 'til the end, Uinuos Syömein Sota is one really astonishing metal album, which proves the band's great song-writing talent and virtuosity.
To Valhalla!

Warmoon Lord / Vultyrium Pure Cold ImpurityCelestial Bloodshed Ω
Selvhat Den Svarte TidAlestorm Curse Of The Crystal Coconut
Murgrind The Power of YourselfFief I​-​IV

garas
July 23rd 2020

Full stream and merch at Naturmacht Productions: https://naturmachtproductions.bandcamp.com/album/uinuos-sy-mein-sota

Digging: Isengard - Vrjevndgn

TheNotrap
July 23rd 2020

I'm enjoying the album, I'm glad it's been reviewed. Good work garas ;)

The songwriting is quite diverse, something that favors the album. I love the old-school speed metal approach on some tracks.

Digging: Katalepsy - Terra Mortuus Est

Sunnyvale
July 23rd 2020

Nice review. I'm excited to hear this, as both of the band's first two albums were great

July 23rd 2020

YES this album is so good

Digging: Havukruunu - Uinuos Symein Sota

Sunnyvale
July 23rd 2020

On my first listen, last track rips so hard

Voivod

Congrats on the feature!

Edit:

For reasons that start to crystallize just now, the album feels analogous to Blind Guardian's Somewhere Far Beyond.

I’m alive!!!!!!!

Pho3nix

Nice review man!

As I said before somewhere, the final two tracks are def the highlights. I love the Moomin ambient.

As for the title of the record, I know it is supposed to mean "Languish, thou war of my heart" - it doesn't make any sense to me, 'sota' means war but this is some type of olde ancient Finnish I don't recognize :P

Digging: Alice in Chains - Alice in Chains

5 it Alf

Voivod

@Pho3nix

It's one's invocation to self for the war in his/her heart to weaken (= languish)

garas
July 23rd 2020

Woah, thanks for the feature!!!! And ofc, thank y'all for the kind words!

And I totally agree with Pho3nixbro, the last two tracks are def the highlights.

Elynna
July 23rd 2020

Excellent review man. This riffs hard.

Digging: Imperial Triumphant - Alphaville

DDDeftoneDDD

awesome album, awesome rev. POS

Digging: Thaetas - Shrines to Absurdity

DDDeftoneDDD
July 23rd 2020

Ja Viimein On Yö's main riff is stuck in my head for the last couple of days. I need help.

DungeonBoy
July 23rd 2020

Battleworthy as expected. Nice write-up garas

PortalofPerfection

Album fucking rips.

Nice review, I could take some pointers from your concise approach.

Pangea

nice review garas

Digging: Ben Howard - I Forget Where We Were

Evok

New Havuu!! Gotta have this

Digging: Skope - Low Focus

PortalofPerfection
July 23rd 2020

I've spun this a bunch of times already, great album to just have on doing whatever. Pretty sure I hit the keys on my work keyboard about 50% harder.

necropig
July 23rd 2020

oh shit, cool, front page

Digging: Havukruunu - Uinuos Symein Sota