Warmoon Lord / Vultyrium
Pure Cold Impurity

by Grumpy USER (27 Reviews)
July 17th, 2020 | 5 replies

Release Date: 02/29/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Stronger together.

Warmoon Lord's first LP, Burning Banners of the Funereal War was one of the best debuts of 2019, and I was more than happy when I discovered that he was back with a new split album this year. We had a plenty of black metal split releases so far this year, and personally I'm really happy about this trend. Pairing with other (preferably similar) artists may have a great impact on enlarging one's fanbase. This way, instead of releasing short EPs which often tend to fall out of the radar, putting together something which is similarly satisfying like an LP is something I can really respect. And in the case of Pure Cold Impurity, this pairing between the two Finnish artist was made in heaven (... or hell, because it is still black metal, heh).

This is a Finnish split (which instantly means great melodies), and it has a pleasingly crispy production which respectfully follows the old-school trends, however it has a pretty modern "edge" as well. Both artist represent a very similar style and sound, and both halves have a slightly atmospheric feel, but each song is massively riff-centered. Additionally, the variety within the record makes it a really enjoyable collaboration project because, for example, the tempo changes, and synth sections result in a nice flow to the whole thing, making it a very easy (but still heavy) listen.

It is undoubtely the split of the year so far, and to be honest, I really couldn't find anything to complain about.

System of a Down Protect The Land/Genocidal HumanoidzStriges Verum Veterum
Isengard VårjevndøgnCult of Frey By The Blood of Odin: Part 1 - Midgard
Ball Like You Are…I Once Was…Like I Am – You Will...Nargaroth Herbstleyd

garas

Link to the premiere: https://youtu.be/RnSoTFY4p9w

Short review for a short release. Thanks to the circa two person who'll actually read this.

Digging: Deafheaven - 10 Years Gone

dedex

Cool lil rev man

split of the year? might check!

Digging: Wasted Space - like summer, but colder

TheSpirit
July 17th 2020

Not sure if this beats Spectral Lore & Mare Cognitum as split of the year, but it's good

Digging: Trh - Novej kalhnjnnp

MotokoKusanagi

digging this

garas
July 17th 2020

This is lot better than the Spectral Lore & Mare Cognitum split - but that's my personal preference. Maybe the Evilfeast/Uuntar split is the closest to this~