Megadeth
Countdown to Extinction

by matthew36 USER (37 Reviews)
July 6th, 2020 | 16 replies

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Well worth a listen. A dark 90's diamond

Metallica had their black album and Megadeth their superior "Countdown to Extinction." The album debuted on the Billboard Charts at #2 and sold double (or was it triple) platinum, thanks in part to the incredible single "Symphony of Destruction." The song is heavy as a ten ton bomb, yet packs an undeniable pop hook. This is one thing Dave has always had a knack for, despite being one of the forefathers of thrash metal he's always had a keen sense of melody and knew how to write a hook.

I've heard it said that "Countdown to Extinction" was a sellout, but I do not hear that at all. Just because a band gains popularity and puts out a popular record doesn't necessarily mean they have turned their back on their roots and gone pop. Opening song, "Skin O' My Teeth" is just as fast and aggressive as anything Megadeth had recorded to this point. The song is about botched suicide attempts and/or Mustaine's struggle with destructive addictions. "High Speed Dirt," another fast and furious tune, is about sky diving.

Many song on this album touched on politics, Dave's insidious hiss spewing venom with each and every word. "Architecture of Aggression" is heaviness defined and would have been at home on "Rust in Peace" as it is here. The song touches on the subject of the Gulf War. "Foreclosure of a Dream" is a more melodic number and gives an indication of the direction the band would take with their follow-up album. "Captive Honour" is a low point really. Too me it does not seem to fit in with the other material on this disc. Unlike past albums, "Countdown to Destruction" had contributions from more than just Mustaine. The albums title and the lyrics to the title track were penned by drummer Nick Menza. The song, as well as "Ashes in Your Mouth" is about the fallout from war. "Sweating Bullets" is a twisted mid-paced romp and has become one of the Mustaine's signature tracks.

"Countdown to Extinction" was Megadeth's best produced album yet. Producer Max Norman, who also put the finishing touches on "Rust in Peace", did an excellent job producing this heavy metal masterwork. Despite the cries of "sellout" from some metal purists, "Countdown to Extinction" is a phenomenal heavy metal album.

Megadeth Rust in PeaceAnthrax Persistence of Time
W.A.S.P. The Headless ChildrenRainbow Straight Between the Eyes
Ozzy Osbourne Bark at the MoonLou Reed and Metallica Lulu

bigguytoo9
July 7th 2020

I actually just found the 2004 remix version for 5$ in a Walmart bin last month and had to grab it. Pretty solid disc, never owned this album.

Dewinged

21966 Comments

Just reminded me to rate this. Great album.

Digging: Love Club - Lime Twigs and Treachery

Source
July 7th 2020

better than the black album for sure

facupm
July 7th 2020

ive always thought this album is a bit overrated

zakalwe
July 7th 2020

Back in ‘92 my best mates mum had this. She loved it, I thought it was shite.

rockandmetaljunkie

Megadeth's Black Album?

or a pathetic effort to make one?

Pikazilla
July 7th 2020

Black Album is poopoo, this isn't.

parksungjoon

ah

Digging: Have Mercy (MD) - Armageddon Descends

SymbolicInTime
July 7th 2020

Actually never heard this in full but Symphony and Sweating obviously rule

rockandmetaljunkie
July 7th 2020

you're not missing much, it's really not that great of an album, i'm thinking of lowering my rating

Source
July 7th 2020

nah jam this and youth they both rule

bigguytoo9
July 7th 2020

Dave needs to pull out Architecture live more often. That's a really good one.

Josh D.

Egarran
July 8th 2020

Back when old wrinkled men defined metal aesthetics

Digging: Acoustic Ladyland - Living With A Tiger

JohnnyoftheWell

unironically love Sweating Bullets, but ye silly as hell

Digging: Tricot - 10

parksungjoon
July 8th 2020

>a friend burned this for me in high school, and the second the vocals hit in "Sweating Bullets" I laughed and have never listened to this again

wait you never heard psychotron?