Willie Nelson
First Rose of Spring

by Sunnyvale USER (12 Reviews)
July 4th, 2020 | 12 replies

Release Date: 07/03/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One of the legends of country is back again

Among country fans, Willie Nelson needs no introduction. With the possible exceptions of Hank Williams and Johnny Cash, he really has no equals in terms of influence and renown. Especially now that his stellar contemporaries such as Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, and George Jones have passed on, Willie stands alone as a representation of the genre's glorious past. Now a spry 87 years old, he's responded with quite a prolific last few years of album releases. First Rose Of Spring is his latest effort.

Comprised of eleven songs clocking in around forty-one minutes, First Rose Of Spring is a mellow effort which breezes by. It has an autumnal air as Nelson muses over the past, love lost and found, and the specter of death around the corner. It's a shockingly consistent collection of tunes, with the old singer's voice sounding remarkably good, and the songs (most of which are not Nelson compositions) well selected. There's really no filler, although a few songs stand out. The opener and title track is exceptional, as is the following "Blue Star". Late album gem "Stealing Home" is one of the best songs released this year, hands down, especially if you enjoy sad, sentimental, country songs. Nelson's version of the 70s classic "I'm The Only Hell My Mama Ever Raised" is also a standout.

First Rose Of Spring comes highly recommended for anyone who appreciates traditional country music. With its quality and subject matter, it would be a perfect swan song for Willie Nelson, if his recent string of albums does not continue on in the coming years. At the same time, its excellence gives hope that we may expect even more beautiful music coming in the future from this musical legend.

Matt Berninger Serpentine PrisonThe Menzingers From Exile
Jason Molina Eight GatesFontaines D.C. A Hero's Death
The Lawrence Arms Skeleton CoastMy Morning Jacket The Waterfall II

July 4th 2020

Just a quick write-up for a remarkably good effort which came out yesterday

hel9000
July 5th 2020

hey nice review! think I’m going to check this out, it’ll be my first willie album ever.

Digging: Junglepussy - JP4

Thanks! Hope you enjoy! Not a bad choice for your first Willie album

hel9000
July 5th 2020

yeah i really liked this, our song and stealing home are my favorites after my first listen. he sounds amazing for 87

July 6th 2020

Glad to hear that!

And yep, for sure. His voice is holding up to a remarkable degree

July 7th 2020

I was never into country growing up so this is actually my first Willie Nelson. It's brilliant.

Digging: Moon Kissed - I Met My Band At A New Years Party

July 9th 2020

Glad you're enjoying this Sowing. Album rules, and I definitely recommend checking out some more of his discography as well.

July 11th 2020

Damn, "Blue Star" is really tugging at the heartstrings this morning

AND WHEN WE REACH THE HEAVENS BRIGHTTTT,

I'LL BE THE BLUE STAR ON YOUR RIGHTTTT

deathofasalesman
July 12th 2020

cover art was sooo close to looking decent until they transposed the face over it, like damn

July 12th 2020

Haha, I don't mind it, but I see your point

July 24th 2020

Blue Star is an absolutely classic, one of those great country tearjerkers

deathofasalesman
July 31st 2020

jamming this because of this review. it's pretty awesome