And So I Watch You From Afar

poor

by Simon K. STAFF
July 4th, 2020 | 12 replies

Release Date: 07/03/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Leftovers from the band's worst era.

I’m going straight to brass tacks here; for all intents and purposes if you never quite gelled with what ASIWYFA did on their fourth studio album, Heirs, there is little reason for you to check out this amuse-bouche of an EP. Like Heirs itself – at best Successors displays specific elements of what makes the band so fun to listen to (ala punctuated, crunchy grooves and colourfully expressive guitar effects); at its worst it plays out exactly like it sounds on paper: three cutting-room floor songs that never made Heirs’ final tracklisting. Initially I went into this thinking it was a fresh batch of songs, but it quickly became apparent this wasn’t the evolutionary continuation on from the excellent The Endless Shimmering LP. It’s a mercifully short spin, but despite me running through it into the double figures, it’s what I would call the ‘amnesia experience’ where you forget everything that has just transpired. If you can cast your mind back to the derivative writings of Heirs and then imagine diluting the quality of that for this, you’ll garner a rough idea of what to expect from Successors. If you’re a hardcore fan of the band or a completest who enjoys all of their works, this is a supplement that may pique your interest, but for anyone else, it’s pretty clear why the band initially dropped these filler tracks to begin with.

FORMAT//EDITIONS:

2.8
good

quintenzee
July 4th 2020

Shame, I really liked the direction they were going with The Endless Shimmering. There's nothing memorable on this

dedex
July 4th 2020

didn't even know this was out

Digging: The Ocean - Phanerozoic II: Mesozoic | Cenozoic

Bedex

artwork is utterly unappealing

Digging: Gorod - Neurotripsicks

Calc
July 4th 2020

I just found out I'm a hardcore fan of this band alright then

Digging: Funeral Fires - BLOOD OF THE RAT$

9Hammer
July 4th 2020

The one song that I found myself coming back to more was "Odd Seal", but the other tunes don't really do much for me here, especially the opening track.

Also, this came out of the blue for me as well.

Digging: Deftones - Ohms

chemicalmarriage
July 5th 2020

Better than anything you've ever made ya fartbelching queefbag

Eons
July 5th 2020

had no idea these guys were Irish

Digging: En Minor - When The Cold Truth Has Worn Its Miserable Welcome

DrGonzo1937
July 5th 2020

they sure are. i'm still sour i'm not going to see them in sept coz of the covid

Digging: Marilyn Manson - We Are Chaos

9Hammer
July 5th 2020

I dunno why, but I find the cover to have some similarities to Plastic Beach.

Dewinged
July 6th 2020

This came out of nowhere, and it seems it also goes nowhere. Nice.

Digging: Anna von Hausswolff - All Thoughts Fly

Lord(e)Po)))ts
July 6th 2020

production on this is so fucking thin

sounds like some shitty battles jam demos or something

Digging: Botany - End the Summertime F(or)ever

Eldar777
July 8th 2020

sounds like some shitty battles jam demos or something

these are basically demos that never made the record. It sounds like their bought some new guitar pedals and just messing around with them, especially the first track with arpeggiators and stuff like that. no wonder they didn't make Heirs.

Also i think that Heirs is much better than The Endless Shimmering which was ok but very repetitive and boring.