Paradise Lost
Obsidian

by PsychicChris USER (344 Reviews)
May 20th, 2020 | 7 replies

Release Date: 05/15/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Obsidian does a splendid job of showing off Paradise Lost’s multi-faceted approach to gothic doom metal.

Paradise Lost’s albums often feel like reactions to each other, either emphasizing certain aspects of their predecessors or pushing off in the opposite direction. The group’s sixteenth full-length in a thirty-two-year run is no exception. Coming off the ultra-doom of 2017’s Medusa, Obsidian abides by similarly slothful tempos but pairs them with more overt melodicism. The results are comparable to 2009’s Faith Divides Us – Death Unites Us and 2011’s Tragic Idol with a bit of The Plague Within’s kitchen sink flavor.

At the very least, it’s nice to see the musicianship return to fuller dynamics after Medusa’s rather one-note nature. The vocals are as dexterous as ever, utilizing more cleans than the last couple albums but keeping the growls around for emphasis. The guitars offer a similar degree of variety; the rhythms punch in the usual crushing heaviness, but one can detect some gothic throwbacks in the mournful leads and ethereal filters. The extra bits of piano, violin, and backing vocals also do a good job of expanding the presentation.

There aren’t too many drastic outliers or moments of whiplash when it comes to the songwriting, but each track features a standout style. “Fall from Grace” wasn’t the most accessible choice for a lead single, but that classic doom lurch makes for a worthy highlight. “Ghosts” and “Hope Dies Young” also stand out for their anthemic executions, the latter of which might not have been too out of place on One Second or Host. Things somehow get even moodier as the album progresses with the closing “Ravenghast,” putting its symphonics toward an, especially apocalyptic mood.

But even with the familiar elements at work, Obsidian can still take some time to get used to. The dynamics are enough to keep the album from feeling monotonous, but there aren’t too many breaks from the slower pacing. The melodies also tend to be more methodical than outright engaging, relying on a uniformly downtrodden attitude throughout. Fortunately, I can’t say that any of the tracks are underwhelming or poorly written, even if “Dark Thoughts” might not have been the best choice for the opener.

Overall, Obsidian does a splendid job of showing off Paradise Lost’s multi-faceted approach to gothic doom metal. The eclecticism isn’t as wild as The Plague Within, but the fluctuating dynamics and sturdy musicianship bring a lot of life to what could’ve been an otherwise pedestrian affair. The excursions never feel gimmicky, and the songs reward multiple listens. Paradise Lost has always stood out for their prolific yet diverse discography, and any release that highlights those attributes is good by me.

Highlights:

Iron Maiden Brave New WorldSorcerer Lamenting of the Innocent
Warbringer Weapons Of TomorrowWitchcraft Black Metal
Oranssi Pazuzu Mestarin KynsiElder (USA-MA) Omens
Simon K. STAFF (4.8)
"As pure as driven snow."...

EvoHavok

Nice review as usual.

I think that "Darker Thoughts" is one of their best openers, however.

ChaoticVortex
May 21st 2020

Nice review. The album has really grown on me, full of great songs.

therapy20
May 21st 2020

Darker Thoughts is the best opening track the band have done for years in my opinion.

Nice review though, it's great to see Paradise Lost embrace the gothic side again.

TheNotrap
May 22nd 2020

Nice review.

The album didn't hit me as hard as I'd like.

Digging: Ulthar - Providence

ksoflas
May 23rd 2020

Well said, album rules.

y87arrow
May 23rd 2020

Faith Divides Us and Tragic Idol had left a bigger impact on me when I discovered both a week ago, I'm sure Obsidian will get better the more I listen to it but it needs time.

yeah Darker Thoughts is another great opener, just like they had on both albums I mentioned. Ravenghast and Ending Days are also great and less predictable than other songs on Obsidian (like Serenity and Ghosts)

Digging: Alva Noto - Unitxt

StormChaser
May 25th 2020

Not having Darkest Thoughts among the highlights is sacrilege, but nice review otherwise

Digging: Paradise Lost - Obsidian