...and Oceans
Cosmic World Mother

by Fernando Alves CONTRIBUTOR (62 Reviews)
May 8th, 2020 | 75 replies

Release Date: 05/08/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Just like a phoenix gloriously emerging, Cosmic World Mother rises as a triumphant comeback.

There's always some kind of romanticism surrounding comeback albums. An expectation sneaks in, eager for the long-awaited return, and the longer the absence, the greater the suspense. It is certainly not uncommon to witness unexpected comebacks in the music business, as happened recently with Afterbirth, but when it follows a seventeen-year hiatus, it becomes something that should be highlighted. Now the question is whether ...And Oceans' return is worthy of attention, or if it's just another desperate attempt to hold on to a past that has long since fled. If there is one thing that saddens me, it is to see an artist dragging himself, either for monetary reasons or for loss of contact with reality. Since these lads come from a country not exactly known for its financial problems, I would bet that their comeback is more related to a genuine desire to add a new chapter to their story than anything else. I'm not going to lie, I'm not a huge fan of the band's past work, which has evolved from a conventional symphonic black metal signature into an electronic / industrial hybrid. I realize many people valued the band's bold attitude in breaking genre canons. I respect that. Yet, artistically, I feel the band has never been able to take a real step forward. The idea and ambition were there but the musical materialization always left a little to be desired. Now almost two decades later, with a fresh lineup, it remains to be seen which musical direction ...And Oceans have embraced and whether they managed to fully materialize it.

Cosmic World Mother's theme revolves around energy, which according to the laws of physics is never lost, just redirected. The band takes this concept of eternal cosmic energy and links it to the cycles of life and death. The theme is perfectly embodied in the title track, which gives off an ethereal vibe largely due to the baroque harmony enhanced by the synthesizer. 'Cosmic World Mother' is however a stylistic exception, representing the only evident link with the band's electronic era. The remaining songs are more related to ...And Oceans' early symphonic black metal period, but now with a modern touch and much greater musical maturity. Songs such as 'The Dissolution of Mind and Matter' and 'Vigilance and Atrophy' perfectly mirror this "back to the roots" approach. These first two tracks place Cosmic World Mother somewhere between Marduk and Emperor, by combining a straightforward power somewhat similar to their Swedish neighbours with symphonic soundscapes reminiscent of the band's early days. This time around it feels like ...And Oceans have finally managed to materialize their abstract idea to perfection. We find no weak spots in Cosmic World Mother, everything sounds cohesive, coherent and invigorating. The fresh lineup is certainly also a success factor, with keyboardist Antti Simonen actively contributing to the songwriting and vocalist Mathias Lillmåns (Finntroll) delivering a massive performance that sometimes seems to swing between Mortuus and Tomas Lindberg. The only critical observation I would like to make is that, despite its consistency, Cosmic World Mother could have shown greater diversity by adding further moments similar to 'The Flickering Lights' or 'In Abhorrence Upon Meadows'. I believe that the addition of a more contrasting and dramatic song immediately following the title track would benefit the album's balance, thus creating a wider scope. Some listeners may also feel that some experimentation or greater connection to the band's electronic period may be missing, however as the wise man says, you can never please everyone. As far as I'm concerned, it seems clear to me that this symphonic, straightforward approach proved to be a wise decision that will surely lead the band into a successful new cycle.

Just like a phoenix gloriously emerging, Cosmic World Mother rises as a triumphant comeback. It's the start of a new chapter for a band that not only succeeded in entering the decade in the best possible way, but also managed to deliver its best album to date.

Welcome back.

Convocation Ashes CoalesceHail Spirit Noir Eden In Reverse
Ulthar ProvidenceBehemoth A Forest
Sorcerer Lamenting of the InnocentVader Solitude in Madness

May 8th 2020

I'm not a huge fan of the band's past work, so for me this is easily the best album these guys have ever recorded.

Full stream:

Digging: Lantern - Dimensions

Egarran
May 8th 2020

Sounds good. More brutal than expected which is nice.

And what a great review.

Digging: Be'lakor - Stone's Reach

Thanks Egarran

DungeonBoy
May 8th 2020

yes yes yes so happy to see this. Been jamming this hard and digging it harder. This album sounds like it was locked in a time capsule around the late 90's and we've finally unearthed it. Good review too!

Digging: Berlinist - Gris (Original Soundtrack)

May 8th 2020

Thanks for the feature guys ;)

ChoccyPhilly
May 8th 2020

First half was great but second half meanders a bit

Digging: Battle Dagorath - Abyss Horizons

Dewinged

20308 Comments

Sounds interesting, great write up Notrap!

Digging: The Body - All The Waters Of The Earth Turn To...

MiloRuggles
May 9th 2020

Good stuff my g, keep'em comin

DarkNoctus

this is so so good

Digging: Bohren und der Club of Gore - Patchouli Blue

zaruyache

yes yes

May 9th 2020

"First half was great but second half meanders a bit"

The second half would benefit from having another moment similar to 'In Abhorrence upon Meadows', yet it's still quite consistent. The closing track is one of my favorites.

Thanks Dewinged & Milo ;)

ChoccyPhilly
May 9th 2020

Yeah I'm with you there, the closing track is good but I couldn't help but feel like a good 15 mins passed without me even realising in the second half.

MarsKid
May 9th 2020

Always down for some well-done symphonic black metal. Will give this a pass.

PortalofPerfection
May 9th 2020

This is my bandcamp wishlist somewhere, thanks for reminding me!

Digging: Paysage d'Hiver - Im Wald

You're welcome

zaruyache

*nods sagely*

Panzerchrist
May 10th 2020

Absolutely adored what I've heard thus far. About six spins in.

Agree about it being their best, or pretty close, anyways. It's certainly their most concise.

Digging: Protest the Hero - Palimpsest

Great rating Panzer.

Shredgazmo
May 10th 2020

Is this really that good, help me out guys. Just wanna make sure this is worth my time.
Is it better than Omnium Gatherum and Belakor

May 10th 2020

I have some difficulty comparing these guys with those two bands, although melody is present in some moments, the band's signature is far from being melodic death metal.