Slift
Ummon

by Dewinged CONTRIBUTOR (98 Reviews)
April 27th, 2020 | 178 replies

Release Date: 02/28/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Fasten your seat-belt, you're in for a ride.

Not much was known about French cosmic stoner vanguard Slift until they blew up KEXP’s rented studio in Rennes not even a couple of months ago with their ecstatic, relentless explosions of interstellar krautrock and psychedelia. It doesn't mean that they are touring with Metallica as an opening act just yet but with Ummon, their second release, they certainly paved the way for greater stages in the near future.

You have to see the way they unleash the thunder contained in the band’s sophomore when playing live. Chemistry, attitude, musicality... it’s all there! Jean Fossat is a true master of the SG art, oh yes, the ship captain knows how to make that guitar talk, scream, whisper and moan like a panther in heat. Brother Remi Fossat glues the bass both ways with steady resolve while Canek Flores runs the engines with a remarkable performance on the drum kit. The rhythm section is as tight as my ass cheeks as I write this some poor stream of consciousness manner, which will probably cost me my contributor tag, divorce and a few neighbour death threats on my door tomorrow.

But hang in there, we got all night, and it’s gonna be a long one, cause this thing clocks at 1 hour plus and all I have left to drink at home is the water from the plants. Ummon is the trio’s second album. Unapologetic, atomic stoner from the crypt without much thought gone into production other than making the band sound like they do live. As such, Ummon is a massive, unstoppable jam. It’s a moment captured in time for posterity, one of those that rarely happens twice. Trying to discern what’s premeditated and what is a spur of the moment is quite complicated. Slift takes the best of Motorpsycho, Elder and that band with the Russian astronaut name and expands on it in a manner that feels fresh, defiant and reassuring.

There are many, many good moments across the space rock odyssey that is Ummon. Jean’s sweet vocals opening “Altitude Lake” and the Sleep-esque riff that follows along, the wild semi-improvised jam during “It’s Coming”, THAT drum beat in “Sonar”, and the uptempo punk feel of that titanic closer titled “Lions, Tigers and Bears” turned into a psychedelic stoner hymn only three minutes in.

Slift has crafted an album that truly earns the “hear to believe” tag. Ummon it’s a ravaging, colourful journey that pushes and breaks through boundaries without production tricks of any kind, relying on a fantastic live performance to bring to life one of the best albums of the year. Believe!

Ancient Mastery Chapter One...Frozen Soul Crypt Of Ice
Mechina SiegeEmma Ruth Rundle and Thou May Our Chambers Be Full
Enslaved UtgardCrippled Black Phoenix Ellengaest

April 27th 2020

What!? Now how da hell you did that!!??!?!?

I'm amazed Dew!

Digging: Fractal Generator - Macrocosmos

April 27th 2020

Chears to Triple D who rec'd me this album exacty 2 hours ago.

There's probably typos, grammar atrocities and all kind of language paraphernalia but I'll fix it all once I sober up, I promise, SPutlords.

Album is incredible. Jam it dammit!

Digging: Pom Poko - Cheater

dedex
April 27th 2020

Still gotta listen to this one

"The rhythm section is as tight as my ass cheeks as I write this some poor stream of consciousness manner, which will probably cost me my contributor tag, divorce and a few neighbour death threats on my door tomorrow."

fucking lol'd, sweet rev

Digging: Emma Ruth Rundle and Thou - The Helm Of Sorrow

April 27th 2020

"Chears to Triple D who rec'd me this album exacty 2 hours ago."

the rev is amazing btw...so genuine and feeling what's actually going on on this!

April 27th 2020

Also watch the KEXP jam, cause they are so good it's just ridiculous:

And tx dexbro!

April 27th 2020

LMAO, now to complete my beggar's work I will ask some fresh new staff to fuckin feat this.

April 27th 2020

Well, album's a month and a half old so I doubt it will happen, unless some of the younger, more gullible staffers forget about the rule lol

April 27th 2020

ahaha I'm trying Johnny but yeah...this def will be there by the end of year.

TheNotrap
April 27th 2020

"Chears to Triple D who rec'd me this album exacty 2 hours ago."
Dewinged 'warp speed' Contributing Reviewer ;)

Love the artwork, I'll check it asap

Digging: Gatecreeper - An Unexpected Reality

April 27th 2020

This is quite a jam if you want rest a bit from metal Notrap X) and yeah...artwork stood out a lot and made me give this a shot

April 27th 2020

It was love at first sight Notrap, much needed in these dark, dark times.

TheNotrap
April 27th 2020

Sounds like a great jam.

hogan900

aaaand there they are!

"Btw, talking about the cover, just saw the full art and the dude is dragging a massive sword. 5/5" yap saw that too m/

JohnnyoftheWell
April 27th 2020

Drunk Dewi speedwrite? Bookmarked.

Digging: Fushitsusha - Live I

Oh hey Johnny, DD here wanted to speak with you

April 27th 2020

I mena i'm not DAT drunk justalittlebioeyisvdjvavhvbsnadvka

April 27th 2020

already did...they should open an exception to the specifics of this rev writing and album's awesomeness...

April 27th 2020

Tomorrow I'll regret all this and will promise I'll never drink again but toniiiiiiights the niiiiiiight