Black Magick SS
Rainbow Nights

by Grumpy CONTRIBUTOR (29 Reviews)
April 19th, 2020 | 21 replies

Release Date: 04/08/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Black metal and occultism in psychedelic rock disguise?!

Black Magick SS return from outer space with their new album Rainbow Nights, and the band sounds better than ever.

It can't be denied that our time is greatly obsessed with the '80s. Just look at the resurrection of fashion trends, the themes you see in movies and series (like Mandy and Stranger Things for example)... and of course it is the same case in music as well. During this re-discovery of these old trends, more and more "retro" bands and distros are popping up nowadays, delivering us, in my opinion, great music in overall. Black Magick SS also jumped on this "retro-wave", but also this band is known for the very unique and obscure twist on retro music. The band combines elements from highly different sources, more specifically: black metal's satanic / occult image and vocal style (with hints of gimmicky NSBM) with the various psychedelic rock movements. Rainbow Nights is mostly driven by the cheesy psychedelia, but mixing black metal into this concept makes this project fresh and very original.

Right after the first few minutes you'll get what is this album all about: Rainbow Nights, as the title and the colors on the cover would indicate, offers no more than pure entertainment and a psychedelic musical journey. The opener, Endless Hallucinations, fairly demonstrates the album's main concept: it strongly relies on the catchy guitar melodies and the cheesy synthetisers - but with very... odd vocals, which is a mixture of the typical black metal caws and clean choruses. Each song follows more or less the same formula, but surprisingly the album doesn't get boring at all. The secret (black) magic behind the album's success, in my opinion, is how well it recreates the old-school aesthetics, plus the additional modernisation which comes from the project's (black) metal influences. Productionwise speaking, the album sounds 100% like an album straight from the '80s: the riffs, the solos, the synth work, the drum sounds... all of these stand as a proof of a very-very careful work in recreating that certain retro atmosphere. Personally I enjoyed the great guitarwork and the synths the most, but after a while... the clean choruses get pretty annoying sometimes, dampening the album's tastiness a little bit. Whoever is behind this project is a pretty fun guy and a pretty good songwriter, but let's face it: not a great singer at all. However, since the clean choruses is the only bad component in Rainbow Nights, this album is a rather enjoyable release! Furthermore, due to the great improvement in the production quality, I dare to say it is the best Black Magick SS album, and generally speaking: this is pretty fun.

I don't want to reveal all the "tricks" this record contains... Just go, check this out! This is not long, the runtime is barely over 30 mintues. And if you're not a trve kvlt dork, chances are you'll like what you hear.

Poison Ruin Poison Ruin LPNull (USA) Hiraeth
Deafheaven 10 Years GoneStriges Verum Veterum
Isengard VårjevndøgnCult of Frey By The Blood of Odin: Part 1 - Midgard

Album stream here: https://youtu.be/_OknyOYXFRc

Digging: Taake / Helheim - Henholdsvis

TheNotrap
April 19th 2020

I'm always ready for a psychedelic dive, I'll check this out garas. Pos'd

Digging: Evergrey - Escape of the Phoenix

Bedex
April 19th 2020

you did it! Have a pos my man

Digging: John Coltrane - Meditations

Voivod
April 19th 2020

I have this bookmarked for future inspection, thanks for the reminder garas.

SandwichBubble
April 19th 2020

Cover art is hurting my eyes.

"...hints of gimmickry NSBM"
Should that be "gimmicky", or am I reading it wrong?

Digging: Dirt - Never Mind Dirt - Here's the Bollocks

Thanks everyone!

>Should that be "gimmicky"

Oops, my bad. Fixed now!

oltnabrick

This rulez ¡

Digging: Enya - Dark Sky Island

April 19th 2020

Did you mean obsessed with or influenced by? Not sure something can be "obsessed by". In the summary did you mean occultism? Decent review otherwise.

Digging: Leon III - Antlers in Velvet

Deadmorphic
April 19th 2020

Can't decide to what degree this album is ironically hilarious, but can decide that this is a good review for it.

oltnabrick
April 20th 2020

the freezing moon can obsess u

Great band.

Digging: Cadaver - Edder and Bile

April 20th 2020

Ahhhh, thank you very much Sowing! I swear, I really tried to find all the mistakes... but everything is fixed now!! I'll be more careful next time.

June 4th 2020

this got a review : )

and a review by garas to boot

Digging: Plutocracy - Sniping Pigz

CaliggyJack
December 3rd 2020

Nice review! Definitely diggin this new album. Honestly thought they broke up with the long hiatus these past two years.

December 3rd 2020

a. o. t. y.

MotokoKusanagi
December 4th 2020

the nazi shit brings them down a bit for me but yeah this stuff is otherwise righteous

cry about it

MotokoKusanagi
December 4th 2020

lol just being honest, the band is really good on their own the shtick seems unnecessary. i still jam em though

December 4th 2020

> "the band is really good on their own the shtick seems unnecessary."

Exactly how I think. This is fun psych rock who tries to build the "underground legend" status with being banned from everywhere, lol.

CaliggyJack
December 4th 2020

Honestly they are probably making bank from gullible Nazi's who want to spite anybody who gets offended by anything.