Aseul
Slow Dance

by Aberf USER (12 Reviews)
March 20th, 2020 | 39 replies

Release Date: 03/06/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Slow Dancing the worries away

Slow Dance is picturesque. It vividly paints the pictures of a slow lazy weekend where mundane activities are in place, be it sitting in front of the fireplace while reading your favorite book, enjoying that leftover sandwich from yesterday as breakfast, or sitting on the couch while watching some comedy movies with your loved ones. Based on those scenarios alone, it’s almost clear that Aseul is taking a step back from her previous works. Compared to this album, Yukari’s (her previous alias) Echo, is more pronounced; her previous album, New Pop is also more experimental, both painting different settings and imagery. Slow Dance leaves only a few traces of the aforementioned aspects, yet it’s brimming with the comfy lo-fi vibes of K-Pop indulgence.

The vocals and production highlight each other in Slow Dance, striking a well-balanced composition. Compared to its predecessors, which heavily emphasize the instrumental while fusing it with Aseul’s subdued voice, the singing on this album is much bolder, more vibrant, and infectious. It also proudly wears the City Pop influence over the Electronic assortment: reverberating synths, sparkly drum loops, and vocal modulations. The peak examples are “Bye Bye Summer” and “2 Weeks” where Aseul sings her catchiest hooks over the funktastic melodies. The rest of the album follows a cutesy, playful atmosphere, a callback to those enjoyable moments that weren’t important enough to be remembered. If happiness is contagious, then Slow Dance is a virus of lightheartedness, forcing her audience to chill down and cherish the remaining time.

Days are short after all. Sometimes a moment of reflection is needed to realize the things that we take for granted. Perhaps those moments that we look forward to may have already happened in the past. Or maybe we simply forgot things that were actually important to us. At least that appears to be the idea behind the nuanced closing track “Tell Me”, a ballad with a melancholic prospect. It’s an introspective break to remind that there is an end to both difficult and easy times, tying all of the chapters together.

In the end, during those uncertain times, we might as well do some Slow Dance.

Hotel Mira PerfectionismYung Skrrt Dumbass Genius
Yukari EchoYeule Serotonin II
Sweet William and Jinmenusagi la blankaVyva Melinkolya Vyva Melinkolya

March 20th 2020

Criticism is always welcome!

Digging: Dabin - Wild Youth

March 20th 2020

Nice review! I like the EP and her voice, especially when it's lower in the mix and full of reverb.

Digging: Gazpacho - Fireworker

March 20th 2020

Thank you, friend. I can't get enough of her voice in "2 Weeks". That hook is so cathartic mmmm.

March 20th 2020

Yeah, it's my favorite track off the EP too.

March 20th 2020

Not sure if it's an EP. It's listed in Spotify/Bandcamp as an album, though a very short one.

March 20th 2020

My bad then, I initially saw someone on Youtube name it as EP, but on her channel it's "full album". It's becoming a trend to release albums at around 30 min length.

Bedex
March 20th 2020

Short but very well written review man, I like how well it ties the musical descriptions to the vibes they represent. Hard pos

Also I'll check this soon

Digging: Gorod - Neurotripsicks

March 20th 2020

Thank you, Pedex. Very cool. This is dream poppy too. Me likey a lot. The album is short so not much things to say anyway. I think you will like too.

parksungjoon

neat

pos'd

dedex

Pedex rofl

Cool review man, pos'd. Will need to check that.

Digging: Damso - QALF

March 20th 2020

Misspelling your names is already a running gag at this point.

JesperL
March 20th 2020

i've been jamming this a whole lot since its release, it's so damn nice and )

Digging: Movements - No Good Left To Give

nice and wut?

Uzumaki
March 21st 2020

Will add to my backlog...

Pos’d.

JesperL
March 21st 2020

i honestly neither remember nor know, help

March 21st 2020

The suspense is KILLING ME!!

Slow dancing away

parksungjoon
March 21st 2020

my backlog is big and it keeps getting bigger

March 21st 2020

I'll put some big log from your back

kevbogz
March 21st 2020

so fucking based. love the city pop vibe

Digging: Rune Realms - Secrets of the Deepwood

March 22nd 2020

Criticism is welcome, especially when you leave a neg!! >