Caitlyn Smith
Supernova

by SowingSeason STAFF
March 15th, 2020 | 12 replies

Release Date: 03/13/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A star begins to shine a little brighter.

Caitlyn Smith has the sort of booming voice that can fill an entire studio. Supernova showcases that skill set to its full potential, sending her voice flying all over the spectrum in what might only be described as vocal-centric country album. Her approach is actually fairly similar to other country mega-stars like Carrie Underwood or Miranda Lambert – the songs aren’t about the instruments or even building an atmosphere so much as they are about conveying love, pain, and passion in dramatic fashion. Supernova accomplishes all of this with flying colors – a swirling, melodic country record with massive choruses and shimmering pop production.

Smith cites Supernova as the ideal title for the record because it is “the fullest expression of a star”, and each song represents a heightened state of human emotion – be it love, heartache, or fear. This approach works better in smaller portions than it does across an entire forty-four minute run time; to hear the crashing cymbals, thunderous drums, and booming choruses of ‘Long Time Coming’ or ‘Damn You For Breaking My Heart’ – on, say, the radio – has a major impact. However, by the time you’re halfway through the album, these massive crescendos become a little too easy to dismiss as overwrought or even feigned. Smith is actually at her best when she pumps the brakes, such as on the string-laden, starry-eyed title track or the piano-underscored and incredibly romantic closer (which she actually wrote at 39 weeks pregnant), ‘Lonely Together.’ When she exposes her vulnerable side, Supernova shines its brightest. Perhaps no track illustrates this better than 'Midnight in New York City' - where she delivers her best vocal performance, includes a brief but effective guitar solo, and captures lighting in a bottle lyrically: "Lovers under movie scene streetlights / Kissing each other like he's coming home from war...You make me feel like I'm on fire, skyscraper lights keep getting brighter / The night is young and I'm good and stoned, it's midnight in New York City and we can't go home."

Caitlyn Smith’s sophomore album isn’t daring enough to uncover any new earth, but it’s quite adept at its role within the mainstream country wheelhouse. She possesses a gorgeous voice, jaw-dropping range, and has the ability to craft inviting hooks to boot. It’s a deadly combination that’s sure to earn her a seat at the table of country’s biggest stars. While it would be nice to see her put a little more emphasis on actual instrumental song craft and/or electronic/synth experimentation – and she could easily do these things without being forced to fade her vocal presence – this is still a very good country-pop record that is widely accessible for the masses. Sometimes music just needs a voice – and with Supernova, Smith has found hers.

s
Andy Hull Who Is Your Humble? (Demos: 2006​-​2007)The Districts You Know I’m Not Going Anywhere
Aubrie Sellers Far From HomeHoney Harper Starmaker
Shell of a Shell Away TeamHayley Williams Petals For Armor I
3.3

March 15th 2020

This was nice. Check the embedded track to see what you're in for. It's very predictable country-pop for the radio, but it's also top tier if you can enjoy that kind of thing.

Digging: Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts VI: Locusts

neekafat

hmmm... will report back (;

March 15th 2020

Neek this is basically pop with some country twang, so if you don't find this to be your speed also check Aubrie Sellers - more of a clearly defined country-rock vibe to that.

wwf
March 16th 2020

lmao this is a similar soundoff to that caroline rose album that came out recently

¯_(ツ)_/¯

If anyone wants a good idea of what this sounds like just check the embedded track. Very pretty radio country pop. :-)

March 17th 2020

it's pretty nice! don't think I dig as much as that Aubrie Sellers you covered but def a pleasant listen

Digging: Therapy? - Troublegum

March 17th 2020

"don't think I dig as much as that Aubrie Sellers you covered but def a pleasant listen"

pretty much my assessment as well!

bloodshy
March 18th 2020

Was a fan of her old stuff ages ago. She was like christian indie country, which i wouldnt normally enjoy, but she did it for me. Now she has reemerged as a pretend new artist and went full blown country. Not as much of a fan of the last album, but ill check this out. Anyway, i think this is actually her fifth album or so.

Digging: Mamngo - Uxam

bloodshy
March 18th 2020

None of her old stuff is on spotify... Only old song i can even find of hers on YouTube is from her third album, the song "crushed and created".

March 18th 2020

Honestly didn't realize that she's been around but I may have to check some of her older stuff then. I enjoy this as a fervent and immediate pop/country album, but there's not much to gain from multiple listens aside from the pretty melodies abound (which is enough for me).

alamo
March 26th 2020

opening track giving me strong mercy on me (aguilera) vibes and i really like it

neekafat