Violet Cold
Noir Kid

by Dewinged CONTRIBUTOR (106 Reviews)
March 13th, 2020 | 60 replies

Release Date: 03/01/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane."

Like a character from H.P. Lovecraft's Tales of Horror, Emin Guliyev has finally reached enlightenment through madness, for Noir Kid is nothing else than the frenzied vision of a true madman.

With 40+ releases listed in his Bandcamp page it would be highly inaccurate to place Noir Kid as the -th release of Guliyev's career. His one-man studio project, Violet Cold, to which he has dedicated most of his lifetime, started out as a timid leap into ambient music with slight post-rock influences. It was 2014 and the album was simply called Lilu. Everything released afterwards from his home studio in Baku (Azerbaijan) would expand his music to further horizons, from post rock to blackgaze, until reaching now the exorbitant heights of Noir Kid.

It's fair to say that Guliyev's latest recording maintains the heavy blackgaze sound of his past works but tracks like opener "Noir Kid" or "Synergy" suggest that the man's approach has changed drastically to accommodate seemingly impossible elements, more akin to the absurd behind a meme mash-up than to the constricted limitations of orthodox songwriting. Because Noir Kid feels like being overexposed to a torrent of unimaginable network algorithms, like standing arms opened wide in front of a tsunami of data where colors and shape combine to adopt implausible aural soundscapes, only intelligible to the chosen few, the fearless audience.

It's not the first time Guliyev forces musical disparity to cohabit in his works, as it's not the first time his screams of agony and despair sound like the ecstatic elation that celebrates the purging of demons that haunt him every time he invests himself in a new Violet Cold recording. But this time he has gone even further.Noir Kid is the only album I would expect to find a pop gem like "Euphoria" slowly mutating into a blackgaze epic with regional chants, or a track like "Synergy", a chipmunk post rock elegy that would somehow feel at home as the main theme of a Rocket League tournament. Guliyev's impressive growls and demential screaming dominate Noir Kid for the most part, which will make those not too familiar with his music to opt out, as they can get very exhaustive the further one adventures into the album. The usual elements of Violet Cold are there: the blast beats, the break downs, the vertiginous guitar melodies weaving multicolored soundscapes, but this time with more synths, more samples, more screams, and just more of... everything.

The first and title track would be a good way of testing the waters for those just looking for a small and condensed dose. "Battle Unicorn", "Euphoria" and "Goodnight Sun" are the closest Guliyev gets to solidifying his cluster of EDM vocals and synths with black metal, whereas "Synergy" is the step beyond the line of mental sanity that will make ears bleed in disbelief.

Fans of Violet Cold are presented here with not a new album, but a new challenge, an invitation to endure a musical odyssey through the flayed mind of Emim Guliyev. Noir Kid is an album that defiles the boundaries of the genre incurring in straight out blasphemy, all while toying with the risks of turning the concept into a joke that no one really, truly, understands. What is clear though, is that after exceptional releases like Anomie or Kosmik, or the trilogy of albums that kept Guliyev occupied during 2018, Violet Cold has been given passage to a higher plane of existence, powered by the flamboyance of Noir Kid, and forever in defiance.

ANAVITORIA CORGravesend Methods Of Human Disposal
Buke and Gase and So Percussion A Record Of...Heave Blood and Die Post People
Gaspar Poet Beratna SovajGoat Girl On All Fours

March 13th 2020

This is just mindless gibberish on my part. If you want an abridged version that makes actual sense go check theSpirit's soundoff.

Full album stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g98emxIssG8

Support the man: https://violetcold.bandcamp.com/album/noir-kid

Digging: In Tormentata Quiete - Krononota

Nocte
March 13th 2020

I'm very on board with your train of thought process here. Great little write-up.

March 13th 2020

I had it at a 4 but man, Synergy makes me legit pissed, cause it could have been a great track with normal pitch vocals.

tyman128
March 13th 2020

nice review!! this catches my attention, may have to check it out later

ChoccyPhilly
March 13th 2020

Anomie was sick but I feel this guy is pretty inconsistent. Still might have to give it a go though

Digging: Ad Nauseam - Imperative Imperceptible Impulse

March 13th 2020

Thanks dude, check the opener and "Euphoria" for starters. Then prepare for "Synergy".

March 13th 2020

Thanks for featuring oh my overlords

*Bows profusely*

TheSpirit
March 13th 2020

This record was okay. The production doesn't live up to its EDM aspirations.

"as it's not the first time his screams of agony and despair sound like the voice of regret upon contemplating the aberrations he himself has created."

I have to heavily disagree on this line, I don't hear a hint of regret but an escstaticism for being able to so successfully purge his demons.

Pretty nice review though, grats on the feature.

March 13th 2020

Ummm yeah, now that you mention it that's not exactly what I wanted to express there. I might ninja edit tomorrow. Thanks dude.

JakeStallion
March 13th 2020

Good review. I love this album. Think it might be my favorite VC project yet.

March 13th 2020

It's definitely his most 'catchy'.

tyman128
March 13th 2020

enjoyed this a lot more than I expected! not quite what I usually listen to, but it flows very well (aside from the odd decisions like the chipmunk stuff in "Synergy")

March 13th 2020

If it had vocals like Euphoria, it would probably be the best track of the album, but nope.

Pikazilla
March 14th 2020

Not sure what to rate this. Cool amalgam of styles, but yeah, production is kind of a letdown. I s'pose a 3 it is.

March 14th 2020

A 3 is fair, he has cool ideas but they don't really glue very well.

bgillesp
March 15th 2020

Very intriguing review. Loved kosmik so I’ll try this. Also after recently re-reading a review I wrote 2 years ago then coming to this, I’m embarrassed and want to work on writing again to get near this level.

SuzyC
March 15th 2020

I love it when an artist I highly respect throws a total screw ball. Much of VC's music hits me hard emotionally, and a few tracks can bring me to the verge of tears. The last thing in the world I expected from him was something playful, joyful, and wacky. Salute.

kevbogz
March 15th 2020

"The last thing in the world I expected from him was something playful, joyful, and wacky."

should prolly check Desperate Dreams then

Digging: Greet Death - New Hell

March 15th 2020

DD is in that vein yeah but this the craziest shit he"s ever done imo.

@bgill why would you want to downgrade your stellar writing to this level!?

@suzy what's your favorite track off this?

March 16th 2020

Edited with theSpirit's suggestion about regret, etc. Hopefully it makes more sense now.