Greg Dulli
Random Desire

by Slex CONTRIBUTOR (46 Reviews)
February 23rd, 2020 | 45 replies

Release Date: 02/21/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Begin the slow pan

Greg Dulli, famed fatalistic louche extraordinaire, is many things but above all else a master of pacing. The spectral ballads that make up what is being marketed as his solo debut (there seems to be some confusion here, with 2005 effort Amber Headlights being left in the cold for whatever reason) surge with an inexplicable intensity and headlong momentum that seems counter-intuitive on paper but proves intoxicating in execution. Random Desire is a hermetically sealed snowglobe of textures and trysts, a reeling off of hopelessness and heartbreak buffeted by skittering drums and shadowy piano. It stands quite heavily in contrast to his main gig in beloved and resurgent 90's alt-rock heroes The Afghan Whigs, who find themselves in another period of inactivity cruelly forced by the untimely death of guitarist Dave Rosser. Staging a strong comeback with 2014's gnarled and grungy Do To The Beast and 2017's spooky and shambolic In Spades, Greg Dulli slipped right back into his role as misanthropic lothario like a well-worn glove. Random Desire is a downturn into a decidedly more forlorn and reflective mode, finding the singer honing a not altogether unexplored but still relatively rare aspect of his songwriting, more akin to the dewy melancholy of The Twilight Singers than anything the Whigs released in their tragically short resurrection.

Ironically enough, the album doesn't make the best first impression. 'Pantomima', while not an entirely weak track overall, is a head-scratching curtain drop; unabashedly jaunty to the point of being on the knive's edge of cloying, it stands in stark contrast to just about every song that follows. Needling guitar jabs and prancing drums are married to a curiously chipper vocal performance that gives off the impression that the album could go just about anywhere sonically. However, the subtly twangy and wholly gorgeous 'Sempre' follows and properly sets the mood for what is to follow. Acoustic guitar and somber keys lightly hold ground against Dulli's powerful rasp and slippery falsetto until galvanizing drums and sheets of scraping electric guitar upstrokes seamlessly enter, quickening the song's pace to a graceful gallop. This is where Random Desire operates for the majority of its contemplative and affecting runtime: stark and nocturnal soundscapes elegantly adjoined to impassioned vocals and sophisticated but subtly raucous dynamics. Seamless is the name of the game here; the unobtrusive way that Dulli is able to make these seemingly contradictory moods come off as entirely natural is nothing short of masterful.

These tracks are able to unpretentiously build to varying levels of surprising intensity, yielding a number of hypnotic and poignant highlights. 'Scorpio' begins with romantic piano and yearning synth before being joined by loping drums that lead to a plateau of urgently ascendant guitar and and warped vocals. 'It Falls Apart' seems to draw influence from The National's playbook circa Boxer-High Violet, with a snaking piano melody and jazzy drums being blanketed in yawning strings and ghostly handclaps. 'The Tide' is an endlessly cresting outpouring of rousing vocals and walls of shimmering guitar that culminates in a chorus of gorgeously cracked Dulli vocals and plaintive keys. The real standout, however, is deep cut 'Lockless'. Expanding on Dulli's always latent R&B influences, it rides a mesmerizing beat of dancing hi-hats and swanky horns, an exquisitely miserable slice of regret that comes off like a vaguely grimy rendition of recent Patrick Watson or latter day Antlers. It's utterly beguiling and serves as the climax of the album, and rightfully so, but the album does seem to buckle a little bit under its weight. 'Black Moon' is a more than worthy epilogue, especially in it second half of classic rock guitar theatrics and pleading crooning, but can't help but ever so slightly pale in comparison. Closer 'Slow Pan' is somewhat of an unfortunate misfire in the same vein of 'Pantomima'; it is the most sonically threadbare track until it's overwhelmed with cascades of staccato strings. There's an interesting contrast at play as the almost Disney-esque harp plays at a happy ending that the lyrics resolutely reveal as a mirage, but it's much more interesting on paper than in execution, leaving the song feeling both truncated and aimless. Then again, maybe that's exactly the point, random desires and ravishing regrets left to hang in the air, another sordid star in the comprehensive constellation of Greg Dulli's decades-long heartbreak. Whatever the intention, Random Desire shines bright enough as a whole to leave a lasting impact in an increasingly unpredictable and accomplished body of work.

Lana Del Rey Norman Fucking Rockwell!Young Thug So Much Fun
Glass Beach The First Glass Beach AlbumChance the Rapper The Big Day
State Faults ClairvoyantPalehound Black Friday

February 23rd 2020

First review i've been able to finish in like 8 months lol, been a rough period but hopefully shaking off the cobwebs

Album is exceptional and Lockless is currently SOTY

Digging: Nicolas Jaar - Cenizas

JohnnyoftheWell

Oh shi
Gonna engage with this when awake and happy, hype hype hype

Digging: Aoki Takamasa - Indigo Rose

anatelier
February 23rd 2020

This is bizarre, but I like it. Sounds like Goo Goo Dolls but with more effort with production chops

Digging: Ian William Craig - Red Sun Through Smoke

February 23rd 2020

Very interesting. Good to see you back up and writing again, Slex! Gonna check this soon.

Digging: Red (USA) - Declaration

February 23rd 2020

Hadn't thought of it but yeah Goo Goo Dolls w more grit is a good reference point

February 23rd 2020

Welcome back. This wasn't bad but wasn't super engaging on my 1st listen either. May give it another shot.

February 23rd 2020

This didn't entirely sink its claws into me until like the 3rd listen so hopefully it's the same for you!

February 23rd 2020

Will report back. A Slex 4.5 means a high likelihood that I'm missing something.

anatelier
February 23rd 2020

Yeah I quite like this actually, a bit more on my second go around

botulist
February 23rd 2020

great album. the most consistent of 90's survivors.

February 23rd 2020

Have to agree with ya there

MiloRuggles
February 23rd 2020

This review made me start making flamboyant hand gestures while yelping Italian words and making kissy sounds. Good to see you writing again, looking forward to more

February 24th 2020

It's nice. I'll keep it in the rotation and see what happens.

Haha appreciate that Milo

February 24th 2020

I already know I'm going to love this and I have not listened to it yet. Great review.

Digging: Ellis - Born Again

February 24th 2020

Yeah I know yr a big fan, keen to see what you think of this-it's easily his prettiest batch of tunes

Nocte

12027 Comments

I could read Slex reviews forever... if only the music appealed to my lack of soul.

February 24th 2020

Uh huh, this is great. Just great.

February 24th 2020

His vocals do sound a little goofy at times though. I don't know if I'm for them, but the music is amazing.

Muppelope
February 24th 2020

vocals here really get to me. and not in a good way.