Kvelertak
Splid

good

by Grumpy USER (16 Reviews)
February 15th, 2020 | 150 replies

Release Date: 02/14/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Kunne ha vært mer.

Let’s be honest here: we all wanted a new Kvelertak or Meir, right? Reality is, Splid turned out to be more of a continuation of Nattesferd instead.

The unique touch on metal by the band is probably no news to anyone - mixing classic hard rock, hardcore, black metal and so on became Kvelertak’s hallmark as time passed. Since their last album, their previous frontman, Erlend Hjelvik left the band, and last year a replacement also occurred behind the drumkit as well. And in that time it could have been guessed: the band is about to change, leading to the question: „how?”

The answer is here in Splid: the band seemingly matured, and turned back to a somewhat softer sound. Let’s dig deeper, and examine what’s the case.

Probably the biggest change that everyone noticed is in the vocals: Ivar can scream really well, just like his predecessor, but the album contains lot more clean singing. Personally I wasn’t the biggest fan of this change, since I feel this had a strong blunting effect and feels a bit out of place. Second most important change is the generally softer style, which is now getting closer to hard rock than metal. I’m not saying the album doesn’t sound good anymore or lacks good riffs, but certainly less energic than what probably most of us expected. Each track is filled with parts that are seemingly far from the standards of what the band used to deliver – resulting in the whole thing lacking some punch, and the fury seeming more of a stylistic element than actual frenzy. (Just compare the song ’Nekrosoft’ to ’Nekroskop’ from their self-titled album!) Certainly, there are fans who enjoyed these changes, but personally the reason why I got into this band was how they could blend the raw energy of extreme metal with some sweet rock’n’roll.

Now, production-wise speaking, the band really made a step forward. They signed to Rise Records and all the recordings have been made in GodCity studio in Salem with the help of Kurt Ballou (from Converge). Some new sounds, more precisely, some new effects have been involved in the songs (like in ’Delirium tremens’ etc.) – and these were really welcomed changes, making the songs more separable from each other, resulting a more memorable experience to the listener. The mixing and audio quality is exactly what was expected from a - let’s say - bigger band nowadays. Each instrument sounds very good and there is really nothing to be complained about here.

Let’s summarize. All in all, Splid was another step away from their original form, leading a band to a somewhat different direction. If you want to enjoy the raw and energic Kvelertak then stick to the first two LPs, but if you desire something easier to digest then you won’t be disappointed by this.

Murgrind The Power of YourselfFief I​-​IV
Impaled Nazarene Suomi Finland PerkeleBlack Magick SS Rainbow Nights
Mayhem De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas AliveNico Georis Shirley Shirley Shirley!

Kvelertak

Worry.

We Cool?

garas
February 15th 2020

Here is my short review, I hope you'll like it. Positive criticism is always welcomed.

re:band/album

im pretty sure im one of these guys' biggest fans on this site. fuckin love the first two. thought nattesferd was like a 3.7~ but i also havent listened to it at all since the year it came out. going to listen to this eventually with low expectations between this and mah boi dedex' soundoff.

re: review

Each track is filled with parts what seemingly far from the standards what the band used to deliver – resulting the whole thing lacking some punch, and the fury seems more of a stylistic element than actual frenzy.

maybe my brain is just sludged at the minute but this phrase seems like its missing some words.

it would be nice if you described the music a bit more beyond just "there's cleaning singing now" and "it's less energetic", like give some examples of the parts that "[stray] from the standards" idk

sorry if im being nitpicky im kind of in a weird mood rn good rev overall pos'd

Digging: Nuclear Death - Bride of Insect

February 15th 2020

“each track is filled with parts [that are] seemingly far from the standards [of] what the band used to deliver – resulting [in] the whole thing lacking some punch, and the fury [seeming] more of a stylistic element than actual frenzy.”

zakalwe

splid

February 15th 2020

something like that but pos nonetheless garas

19605 Comments

what joe said. also havent seen u in a while man sup

garas
February 15th 2020

Fixed now, thank you very much guys! Please excuse my bad grammar.

"give some examples of the parts" I just can't - I thought the little comparison of the two songs can represent what I meant.

19605 Comments

its all good man, glad this has a writeup

February 15th 2020

to whom do you refer park?

you

February 15th 2020

been feeling myself drifting away from this site though i still very much enjoy my interactions with the userbase. it’s a strange feeling. how have you been?

eh.

feel like the site's in a better place than before, p sure i havent been this active in like 3 years

February 15th 2020

we’re the old guard it seems

19605 Comments

naaa theres even older users still around

February 15th 2020

actually that’s very true & i’ll echo the fact that the site is in a resurgence all around

19605 Comments

its cuz theyre nuking the wankers on sight finally

💣 😅 🔫

Pikazilla
February 15th 2020

The debut is all I've really cared for by these guys but will check regardless.

19605 Comments

could be a good thing, u might dig the change in sound

dedex
February 15th 2020

Hey a garas review! Pos my dude

Digging: Ichiko Aoba - 0%