Not My God

awful

by Simon STAFF
February 14th, 2020 | 18 replies

Release Date: 02/14/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: You'd get more enjoyment from listening to a washing machine on high spin.

Not My God is a colossal failure on just about every level. From the gruellingly repetitive, paper thin samples and electronics Nero flatly contributes to the debut album, to Tim Sköld’s borderline laughable slurs, which sound as if David Bowie has risen from the dead and decided to neck a few bottles of Jack Daniels before hitting the mic on this abomination. And it comes with a heavy heart to say this, because I was looking forward to this project, I really was. A collaborative endeavour made by two of industrial’s well-established figureheads: Tim Sköld of Marilyn Manson fame and Nero Bellum, the mastermind behind the incredible Psyclon Nine project. Sure, “Fiction”, the single being used to promote this release, wasn’t anything earth-shattering – considering it sounded like Marilyn Manson from The Golden Age of Grotesque era mixed with inconspicuous synth work – but I mean, I never expected this. Believe me when I say though, this was excruciating to sit through. It sounds like twenty minutes of material being stretched out to drone on for one hour. By the halfway mark, my head was literally hurting from its repugnant style, and I suspect it wasn’t intentionally made to do so. It’s an album shackled to wistfully vapid, nigh on non-existent electronic samples that scream out for something – anything – to back them up, all the while Sköld spews out contrived and derivative subject matter that has been done to death at this point. The bottom line: don’t bother with this at all. You can find much better industrial/drone albums out there, and for all the potential being criminally squandered here, maybe one day we’ll get the album we rightfully deserve from these guys, because this isn’t it.

FORMAT//EDITIONS: DIGITAL/̶/̶C̶D̶/̶/̶V̶I̶N̶Y̶L

Caroline Rose SuperstarOzzy Osbourne Ordinary Man
2.2
poor

February 14th 2020

thought i'd do a short one for this shitter, while i'm in the process of writing justin bieber's new album.

worst album this year so far

Digging: Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts VI: Locusts

sharkmsc

You're writing Bieber's new album? Damn what an honor

February 14th 2020

Jesus... Did Skold knock up your dog or something?

February 14th 2020

Love you life, but how the hell did you find any enjoyment from this lol?

February 14th 2020

Honestly, the worst I can say about it is it has its share of dull songs, and I haven't heard Nero's composing sound less inspired in a good while. That said, I really don't hear anything offensive or even outright bad here.. and the love is reciprocated, dude. Glad you're still the industrial-man 'round these parts.

February 14th 2020

Much love, man. I do try and cover the genre as much as possible, but the albums don’t come across that often, unfortunately.

February 14th 2020

Yeah.. 10s were a dry decade for it, tbh. Except for maybe 3Teeth and Author and Punisher we didn't get a whole lot of new faces.

Willie
February 14th 2020

Nice review. I knew it was going to be shit as soon as I saw Cleopatra Records was releasing it. All they release is garbage by washed up musicians hoping to make a few bucks off of people's nostalgia.

Digging: Testament - Titans Of Creation

CaliggyJack

Dayum bro! LMAO

Supercoolguy64
February 15th 2020

Cleopatra put out a local h album once I think so they can't be that shit

Digging: Dystopia - The Aftermath... (CD)

Voivod

Killer review summary

February 15th 2020

Haha cheers voivod. What else have the label put out trey?

Willie
February 16th 2020

They put out that shitty rushed Geoff Tate-led Queensryche album that had such a terrible production they had to remix and remaster it days after its release... and they knew it was bad, too, because they sent reviewers the new mix before the release (without telling them it was a new mix), but sent fans the old version since the CDs were already made.

What other past-their-prime shit have they relased... Tiffany, L.A. Guns, tons of shitty goth, Great White, Ratt... it's not even where 80s bands go to die, it's where they go after they're already dead.

February 16th 2020

Damn haha well, they’re consistent with releasing this, that’s for sure. This was one of the worst things I’ve heard in a long long time

February 16th 2020

I will say I was expecting A LOT more given the pedigree behind these guys.

Lord(e)Po)))ts

NOT MY PRESIDENT

Digging: Oren Bloedow and Jennifer Charles - Convivencia

betlwedl
February 18th 2020

hey dude washing machine samples can be great

Nervuwa
February 19th 2020

As a Manson fan I was looking forward to this after hearing that Tim would be in it, but there's just nothing enjoyable about this album at all.